The frustrating Lunar moments.

This board is for general discussion of Lunar. Especially things such as Lunar merchandise, general discussions about the story that span more than one game, etc.
Blue_Goddess
Student of Vane
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

The frustrating Lunar moments.

Post by Blue_Goddess »

Lunar's a pretty fun game. It's my favorite ever since i was 13.
But there are some moments when you're frustrated when playing it.

My most frustrating moment was when the memory card containing ALL of my Lunar EBC was wiped out! I was so frustrated!!!!! That memory card had the file where Hiro and his party were already in Zophar's domain.

So what's your most frustrating Lunar moment???
---

http://arthemis-pink.deviantart.com

The Goddess Althena created the world of Lunar and She will always be remembered in our hearts.

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

Battle with Zophar.

Though, before that I got lazy and made the computer do all the battles for me. I guess the AI is stupid in SSSC, after 6 hours of non-stop reloads due to getting killed by the "DragonMaster" Zoc, I decided to do it myself instead of AI. Yeah, I won with barely a scratch. THE AI SUCKS! Needless to say, I do 90% of things myself on games, 100% of the time on RPGs.

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

DevNall
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by DevNall »

Yes, Zophar was a bit of a pain if you haven't gotten "Triple Poe" yet.

(I have to admit, I was a bit puzzled when I saw "The frustrating Lunar Mom" on the front page's topic list.)

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

The AI isn't really meant for bosses. It's perfectly adequate for normal stuff though.

One time in SSSC I got all the way to the Blue Dragon. Then I figured, well, why not see the introductory part again? So I start a new game, go through seeing Nall and everything, and then go to load... whoops, I saved over what I meant to load! >_< Uuuurgh.
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

Dark_Fairy
White Dragon Knight

Post by Dark_Fairy »

Yeah, the Zophar fight was hard. It got so angered at it.

I remember I had to train for so long before I could finally beat him, and even then I only won with Hiro and Ronfar (No MP or items left by that time) barely alive. I also remember I almost died of a heart attack when I saw he had a third form. >_<'

Of course, I might of stunk so badly because Lunar 2 EBC was pretty much my first actual RPG (Not counting Super Mario RPG). I was also only about 11 at that time too.

ilovemyguitar
Legendary Hero

Post by ilovemyguitar »

You can't have a thread like this and not mention Borgan in EB (not so much in EBC, though).

Also, I remember the first time I played through that being floored by having to fight all the fiends again before fighting Zophar. I wasn't prepared for it at all, and I remember when I finally beat the Red Fiend, it came down to Lemina wearing that item that shields from any sort of breath attack from a Dragon, with the rest of the party dead and no Angel Tears, repeatedly casting her single-target ice spell, each round praying the Fiend will still cast breath attacks, because one more pithy scratch from a physical attack would end things totally. And then I won. *sigh* Good times.

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Let's see... as far as hardware frustrations are concerned, my EBC epilogue saves all got wiped and I lost the card which had all my regular game saves as well. Kind of annoying when between the two of them I had about 77 saves, averaging one per hour. Also, when I first played EB, the game crashed twice in Vane just after the scene of Zophar's revival, and I had to sit through it three times. I also lost my import EB save just after Borgan, but seeing as I'd left it for 2 years that's not too surprising. Though it occurs to me that I'm not sure which console those saves were actually on so it'z conceivable I still have them.

As far as bosses are concerned, I remember resetting in disgust during the Blue Fiend fight (EBC) because I was simply making no progress at all thanks to the healing up. I was just slowly going through items with no lasting damage and after half an hour I was fed up. Rearranging my equipment was all that was needed. I also had some annoyance with the Magic Tester in EB because of the daze effect; that was brutal. The only time I remember having trouble with Borgan was when I was down to just Ronfar and Lemina and I gave her a silver light and him a starlight and then she got bumped off -- I really would've made it had I given Ronfar the silver light instead, using Light Litany. Bah.

For normal battles, I spent quite a while in one in the Illusion Forest before getting to the Caravan, because the goblins keep summoning more of themselves and Hiro and Ronfar can only knock out one apiece at that point. Got a lot EXP from that battle when it finally ended 40 goblins later, though.

I guess Lunar 1 hasn't frustrated me much. Wait, I remember being caught by the linearity of it on a replay of TSS -- was stuck for a long time with the broken bridge because I forgot to try to sell the diamond in the Burg shops. Knowing what happens next can really be a handicap sometimes. I may have had a similar problem with the Red Dragon Cave and Damon's tower. Oh, and in Legend I missed a gallery pic (the one that's one of Mia's bromides) even though I figured exactly who to talk to when because of loading up the wrong save and forgetting I didn't have it yet or something like that. Also, I recently started replaying Legend so I could get the Master Book from Dross only to misremember when I needed to that and have to redo the first several hours because of course I only realized my error after I saved.

The weapon/armor breaking in DS is too obvious a target here. Bleah.

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

TSS's triggering of events can be a massive frustration. I remember renting the game when I first played through it, and spending an entire 3 day rental trying to figure out how to get the giant turtle to move. I spent a long time on the broken bridge as well. Frustration-wise, EB gave me a lot of trouble, but mainly due to being under leveled. I used to try and race through dungeons to find out what happened next in the plot, but that tended to make things worse when I came upon a difficult boss. TSS was always considered easy, but I'll tell you... being under leveled against the Black Dragon makes him infinitely harder. I remember winning that one by running more than fighting, and literally beat the thing cause it ran out of magic. (I think that was the boss anyways)

I really should replay the originals. It's been almost 4 years. When I'm done with the Potter books, I may have to do it. Perhaps upgrade the screen shots gallery even more. :P I'd actually like to find an emulator so I can record the important cut scenes out of the Sega CD games.
-G1

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

I have around 3000 or so screenshots now from Eternal Blue, after drilling into all the Japan -> English changes (some of which I went over at the panel yesterday). KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

ilovemyguitar
Legendary Hero

Post by ilovemyguitar »

I can't believe I forgot about the triggering events in TSS! I remember I had to rent that game twice to figure out how to get Nash to appear in the Magic Guild after you get out of the Cave of Trial.

And the end! The end! I had the Model 2 Sega CD, which apparently was prone to glitching out whenever track 20 was played, which was the "big boss" music that played when you fought the Black Dragon, Xenobia, and both form of Ghaleon. Keep in mind that those last three battles are fought back-to-back, with no ability to save in between. I was never able to finish TSS until I discovered the magic of emulation, which was only a couple years ago. How's that for frustration?

Kizyr

Post by Kizyr »

ilovemyguitar wrote:And the end! The end! I had the Model 2 Sega CD, which apparently was prone to glitching out whenever track 20 was played, which was the "big boss" music that played when you fought the Black Dragon, Xenobia, and both form of Ghaleon.
That was the top-loading model, right?

If you slightly tap the top of the SCD a few times, then it'll eventually start spinning again, if it glitches like that. I used to have the same problem.

I also broke one SCD like that, so "lightly" really means lightly, like drumming your fingers on a desk. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

(some of which I went over at the panel yesterday)
Oh yeah, how'd that go? I had forgotten that was this weekend. Are you going to do a write-up on LunarNET for it?
-G1

exigence
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by exigence »

Kizyr wrote:
ilovemyguitar wrote:And the end! The end! I had the Model 2 Sega CD, which apparently was prone to glitching out whenever track 20 was played, which was the "big boss" music that played when you fought the Black Dragon, Xenobia, and both form of Ghaleon.
That was the top-loading model, right?

If you slightly tap the top of the SCD a few times, then it'll eventually start spinning again, if it glitches like that. I used to have the same problem.

I also broke one SCD like that, so "lightly" really means lightly, like drumming your fingers on a desk. KF
how do i know which sega cd mine is iv never had trouble with glitches. i only have 2 games tho TSS and sewer shark thats where it belongs is in the sewer, actualy its too good for the sewer it needs to be buried with ET. my most frustrating moment was having to buy a new copy of the game to watch cutscenes. ya zophar was tough too

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

The model 1 is front-loading, with a drawer that slides out. The model 2 is top-loading, with a flip lid. Both of those are add-ons to the Genesis. The CDX is a top-loading combination Genesis and SCD, about the size of a videotape. (And, I found out, a different BIOS or whatever -- I couldn't use my CD+ converter cart with it even though it worked with the model 2.)

Blue_Goddess
Student of Vane

Post by Blue_Goddess »

ilovemyguitar wrote:You can't have a thread like this and not mention Borgan in EB (not so much in EBC, though).

Also, I remember the first time I played through that being floored by having to fight all the fiends again before fighting Zophar. I wasn't prepared for it at all, and I remember when I finally beat the Red Fiend, it came down to Lemina wearing that item that shields from any sort of breath attack from a Dragon, with the rest of the party dead and no Angel Tears, repeatedly casting her single-target ice spell, each round praying the Fiend will still cast breath attacks, because one more pithy scratch from a physical attack would end things totally. And then I won. *sigh* Good times.
what?!?! you have to fight ALL four fiends again before battling zophar?
---

http://arthemis-pink.deviantart.com

The Goddess Althena created the world of Lunar and She will always be remembered in our hearts.

DevNall
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by DevNall »

The SegaCD could be a bit of a glitchy device. CDs I used in my original one (model 2) seemed to get scratched after a while...

Kizyr

Post by Kizyr »

GhaleonOne wrote:
(some of which I went over at the panel yesterday)
Oh yeah, how'd that go? I had forgotten that was this weekend. Are you going to do a write-up on LunarNET for it?
Yeah, I'm going to do a writeup. It went by really well; I just have to unwind a bit from the weekend. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

Oh hey, no problem, I was just curious about how it went and what you guys covered this time around. Next year, you should get someone to video tape it (assuming that's allowed?)
-G1

ilovemyguitar
Legendary Hero

Post by ilovemyguitar »

Kizyr wrote:That was the top-loading model, right?

Yeah, it was the top-loading model. I wish I'd known it was such an easy fix back when I was going crazy trying to finish the game!
Blue_Goddess wrote:what?!?! you have to fight ALL four fiends again before battling zophar?
Yup. They're exactly the same as they were when you fought them earlier in the game, though, so they're much easier now that the party is at higher levels. The Red Fiend is the only one that is still any sort of threat, and I made the mistake of choosing to fight it last.

Patty Mac
Meribian Merchant

Post by Patty Mac »

Mine was when I first played Silver Star. I got all the way to the Red Dragon cave and then it turns out, I was horribly under what would be considered a good level. I literally spent all night around Illuk leveling up just to finally beat the Dogs at the end of the cave.