Random Final Fantasy Poll: Kefka (FF6) vs. Sephiroth (FF7)

Your general gaming entertainment thread.
From Mario to Sonic, Zelda to Final Fantasy. Talk about it here.

Who would win this Final Fantasy villan battle?

Kefka
67%
Sephiroth
33%

Total votes: 21

AlexHiro4
Black Dragon Wizard
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Random Final Fantasy Poll: Kefka (FF6) vs. Sephiroth (FF7)

Post by AlexHiro4 »

Who do you guys think would win a battle between Kefka from Final Fantasy 6 and Sephiroth from Final Fantasy 7?
Dwight: "One thing about deer, they have very good vision. One thing about me, I am better at hiding than they are...at vision."

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Re: Random Final Fantasy Poll: Kefka (FF6) vs. Sephiroth (FF7)

Post by phyco126 »

I voted for Kefka, purely because I hate sephiroth fanbois.

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

Let's just look at a few facts:

Kefka:
Insane - a negative for me... I didn't like how his motivation was "he just cracked"
Actually succeeded at destroying the world. Few mega-villains actually win.

Sephiroth:
Oedipus complex. To quote the most famous Kefka cosplayer, "MAMA'S BOY!"
Never won. Just whined a lot and killed the lead character's girlfriend--which didn't mean anything, since Cloud had a backup girlfriend, and you could bring Aeris back from the dead.

It clearly goes to Kefka. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Post by Werefrog »

Kizyr wrote:Just whined a lot and killed the lead character's girlfriend--which didn't mean anything, since Cloud had a backup girlfriend, and you could bring Aeris back from the dead.
That's why I always made sure to name Tifa, "Aeris." What could you even name characters in FF 7? I can' remember.

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

Werefrog wrote:
Kizyr wrote:Just whined a lot and killed the lead character's girlfriend--which didn't mean anything, since Cloud had a backup girlfriend, and you could bring Aeris back from the dead.
That's why I always made sure to name Tifa, "Aeris." What could you even name characters in FF 7? I can' remember.
Oh yeah, of course. Nearly everyone renamed Barrett to Mr. T, remember? KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

I think I named Barret Barry, after Barry Bonds or someone like him.

As to the main topic, Kefka's laugh is annoying. But so is Sephiroth's entire demeanor. I've never really been crazy about either villain, but I have to edge it out to Kefka.
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

I still think of Kefka as referring to Justin Freeman at the WDMB, and I'd back him against any legion of people using Sephirothish usernames. :P

LunarRaptor
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by LunarRaptor »

Kefka, by far. He's just an overall better villain. He actually succeeds at most of his indeavers. I also have to say that I like that his motive is that "he's insane". Its actually a lot better than most RPG villains motives, because we don't get hours of cutscenes with him angsting over "his lot in life".
He's a psychopathic sadist who enjoys what he does, and he does what he does well. Hey, if it works for the Joker, it can work for Kefka.
"All you have to do is decide what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf the Gray

Angelalex242
Legendary Hero

Post by Angelalex242 »

The poll is:Who would win in a fight, not 'Who is a better villain.'

This being the case.

Kefka:

Pro:He destroyed the world, true. Or at least, rearranged the face of the world. Having a lot in common with the Joker is good too. Light of Judgement nukes towns. Goddess Statues can null magic. Magicite Lodestone negates Espers immediately.
Con:He lacks any sort of physical strength, and definitely isn't famous for his melee ability. Much like Kuja in FF9, this villain is pure magic. Also, much of his magical strength is dependent on the goddess statues being out of sorts. Light of Judgment doesn't work in short range combat.

Sephiroth:
Pro:The best melee combatant of any final fantasy villain by far, and arguably the best melee combatant period. Physical strength, stamina, and speed are second to none. Still has enough magical power to summon Meteor. Also has control over Negative Lifestream, which does NOT count as magic. Can inflict a normally incurable disease, Geostigma. Can resurrect himself from the dead. His willpower is second to none.

Con:Momma's boy. Meteor takes too long to be of any practical use. Geostigma also takes too long to kill. Arrogance about Cloud got him killed 3 times (Crisis Core, FF7, Advent Children)

The actual fight:
Kefka has two major problems. His best move (Light of Judgment) isn't useful in single combat, and he can't exploit Sephiroth's arrogance because he's not Cloud. This being the case, Sephiroth will fight practically and ruthlessly. Sephiroth will quickly find out magic is negated, and then inflict Kefka with Geostigma. At this point, Kefka's already dead, it's just a matter of when. After that, Sephiroth runs right in and starts chopping Kefka with Masamune. Kefka retaliates with big spells, but Sephiroth attacks a lot faster then he does. Kefka eventually dies first, because he's taking more damage per second. Further, Sephiroth's fast enough to interrupt Kefka's spells. If Kefka does a suicidal Light of Judgment and kills Sephiroth, Geostigma will slowly eat away at Kefka, killing him the slow way, as Kefka isn't a Cetra and hence, can't do a thing about Geostigma. Sephiroth eventually revives himself, and wins that way.

Winner:Sephiroth

(Also, about Aerith. You cannot bring Aerith back to life. HOWEVER. As shown in Advent Children, Aerith being dead doesn't necessarily rule her out of Cloud's life. She can and does appear beyond the grave, she can even touch Cloud from beyond the grave, and summons both Holy and the Lifestream From beyond the grave, as well as curing Geostigma from beyond the grave. In short, Aerith stays dead, no matter what anyone says, but like good old Obi-Wan Kenobi, striking her down made her more powerful then Sephiroth could ever imagine.)
Don't blame me, Lucia promised me lots of snuggles and cuddles if I would be her PR guy.

Dragonmaster Lou
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Dragonmaster Lou »

Kefka, but only because his name makes me think of a tasty middle-eastern meatball.
"Guts can turn a 30% chance into a 100% chance!" - Taiga Kohtarou
Personal home page: http://www.techhouse.org/~lou
Lunar page: http://www.techhouse.org/~lou/lunar/
AMV page: http://www.tealstudios.com

LunarRaptor
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by LunarRaptor »

Thank you for thinking I couldn't read what was presented. I explained why Kefka is better, but I had to throw that he's a better villain out there as well.
I said "he actually successes in most of his endeavors". Read what I type before correcting me.
"All you have to do is decide what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf the Gray

Sadrin
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Sadrin »

I voted for Sephiroth.
If I want anyone to rule over me I would want it to be Sephiroth. He's so sexy! Kefka would smell like green poo from a dog. I'm just saying! As far as a fight? Sephy would win. Sephiroth is fast and the strongest villain ever. Kefka would become distracted. He's crazy. Now I think Kefka would win no problem against any other Final Fantasy baddies.
Depend On You Changed My Life.

LunarRaptor
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by LunarRaptor »

I think you're forgetting that Sephiroth wouldn't rule whatever planet he was currently on, he'd summon Meteor to destroy it.

Dragonmaster Lou
Black Dragon Wizard

Sadrin wrote:I voted for Sephiroth.
If I want anyone to rule over me I would want it to be Sephiroth. He's so sexy! Kefka would smell like green poo from a dog. I'm just saying! As far as a fight? Sephy would win. Sephiroth is fast and the strongest villain ever. Kefka would become distracted. He's crazy. Now I think Kefka would win no problem against any other Final Fantasy baddies.
Sephiroth? Strongest villain ever? Ha ha ha, don't make me laugh... All he has is a very long sword (hmm, must be overcompensating for something, eh?) and the ability to summon a giant rock from space, but only through using some smaller magic rock to do so. That and he had some serious Oedipal issues going on. In short, he's a total pansy (although never underestimate how much damage a pansy backed up by a large army of screaming fangirls could do). Now, if you wanted to limit it to strongest Final Fantasy villain ever, then you may have a valid argument. However, I can rattle off countless other villains that would mop the floor with that long-haired pretty boy.

brightshield
Red Dragon Priest

Post by brightshield »

Con:Momma's boy.

How is Sephiroth a momma's boy? He crushes Jenova's will, and uses her as a disposable puppet. That hardly sounds like a momma's boy to me.

All he has is a very long sword (hmm, must be overcompensating for something, eh?) and the ability to summon a giant rock from space, but only through using some smaller magic rock to do so.

He's not even remotely close to being the strongest villain ever. However, he's got more power than you're giving him credit for. For example, his telekinesis is powerful enough to stop the party from moving for at least a minute.

Dragonmaster Lou
Black Dragon Wizard

brightshield wrote:He's not even remotely close to being the strongest villain ever. However, he's got more power than you're giving him credit for. For example, his telekinesis is powerful enough to stop the party from moving for at least a minute.
Admittedly, I haven't played FF7 in ages, but I can't remember a single instance where Sephiroth's telekinesis stopped the entire party. It's messed up Cloud, sure, and the party stopped to see what was going on with him, but I can't recall any place where it was explicit that the party was stopped due to telekinesis as opposed to just stopping because they were trying to figure out WTF was going on at moment while staring down Sephy.

brightshield
Red Dragon Priest

Post by brightshield »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGysxmmjjtE

There you go. Just for reference, the dialogue at the bottom was just stupid stuff that the poster of the video added.

As you can plainly see, Sephiroth not only stops the party from moving, but he also lifts them into the air and causes them pain. That's pretty impressive considering that he was holding back holy(the most powerful defensive spell ever) at the same time, and controlling meteor.

Dragonmaster Lou
Black Dragon Wizard

brightshield wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGysxmmjjtE

There you go. Just for reference, the dialogue at the bottom was just stupid stuff that the poster of the video added.

As you can plainly see, Sephiroth not only stops the party from moving, but he also lifts them into the air and causes them pain. That's pretty impressive considering that he was holding back holy(the most powerful defensive spell ever) at the same time, and controlling meteor.
Okay, he does use his TK on the party, so I do give you that. Of course, as said, relative to other FF villains, he could be considered the most powerful ever (and Holy the most powerful FF defensive spell ever -- cross RPG comparisons of spell power are just impossible due to the different mechanics, "world physics," etc. that involves).

Although, if it were my money, I'd bet on Grahf in Alpha Weltall over Sephiroth any day. :P

Angelalex242
Legendary Hero

Post by Angelalex242 »

Well, we don't have to wonder anymore.

With Dissidia Final Fantasy coming out, we can simply put Sephiroth vs. Kefka, and see who wins. The answer to that, though, will depend entirely on how good a player you are, and which character you play.
Don't blame me, Lucia promised me lots of snuggles and cuddles if I would be her PR guy.

brightshield
Red Dragon Priest

Post by brightshield »

Okay, he does use his TK on the party, so I do give you that. Of course, as said, relative to other FF villains, he could be considered the most powerful ever

Some of the other FF villains would kick the crap out of him. Time Compression Ultimecia absorbed the power of every sorceress ever to exist, and Adel alone was able to whipe out an era with her mind. At the end of FF5 Ex-Death can erase any part of existence with a mere thought. Trance Kuja destroyed the surface of a planet with 1 attack. So yeah, I wouldn't even say he's the most powerful FF villain.

(and Holy the most powerful FF defensive spell ever -- cross RPG comparisons of spell power are just impossible due to the different mechanics, "world physics," etc. that involves).

I meant the most powerful defensive spell in FF7.

Although, if it were my money, I'd bet on Grahf in Alpha Weltall over Sephiroth any day.

Id would stomp him as well.

The answer to that, though, will depend entirely on how good a player you are, and which character you play.

Yeah it's kinda pointless. If Square made one of the story modes canon we'd have something to go on, but as it is now it's just whoever you pick is the most powerful. So unfortunately the game will pretty much prove nothing.