Post by jos24 »

iN thIS cHaNNeL Of yOuTUbE aLL thE soUnDTrAck oF LunaR HsS

http://www.youtube.com/user/ChobinHood
Althena Bless u

Roogle
Saith Pirate

Re: LiStEn!!! tHE LuNaR HsS OsT

Post by Roogle »

Thank you for posting this. These tracks sound so much better to me than the Silver Star Story Complete counterparts.
So, now, our journey begins...

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

Aside from this topic title being obnoxious and stupid, thanks for the link.

Track 13: Falling Asleep in the Light is really nice.

Track 16: A Boy Going the Distance was one of my favorite songs from SSS.

Track 18 can go FUK itself, and everyone knows why.

Where the hell is Mysterious Cave from the Meribian Sewers in SSS?

Granted, some of these songs really have a fantastic reinvention along with new tracks like Track 1: Yell of the Black Star, and Track 2: Battle of Light and Shadow.

I still wish for a soundtrack with the magic of TSS which we'll never have again.

LuNaRtIc
Bromide Hunter

Post by LuNaRtIc »

I got goosebumps listening to track eight. It's lovely! I also like all the bonus piano solos. It's a very nice OST overall. Although, I'm a little bummed about track thirteen, the new version of Silent Place. I miss the wonky keyboard beat, or whatever you call it lol. That was one of my favorite SSSC tracks. I felt that beat really made the song pop. :(
「美しい白い竜 愛しい白い竜…」
My avatar art was done by luleiya! <3

Shiva Indis
White Dragon Knight

Post by Shiva Indis »

Inquiring minds want to know: What about Mysterious Cave? ^_^ Hearing it in-game I didn't think it got as good a treatment as, say, the Meribia theme (which I didn't used to like) but it didn't exactly need it.

Everyone has been naming gems. Track 16 is probably the soundtrack's biggest showpiece and the dragon theme is always a winner. Personally, I've been into track 28. It's always been all about the intro with that piece, it's really powerful. Now I like the rest of it too, and that intro is even better.

What I want to know is, why didn't they include Althena's Vocaloid singing on the soundtrack? :roll:
「まあいいけど。」

Aaron
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by Aaron »

Silver Phoenix wrote:I still wish for a soundtrack with the magic of TSS which we'll never have again.
Seems like a lot of people feel that way. But I must ask those of you who want this...do you really want all those 80's and early 90's synth sounds to return?

I think the new music improves upon the originals. Track 9 gave me goose bumps. How many games can make someone get goose bumps from it's soundtrack?

fates
Red Dragon Priest

Post by fates »

Shiva Indis wrote:Inquiring minds want to know: What about Mysterious Cave?
Wasn't on the OST that was bundled with the game, afaik. A few tracks are missing.

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

Aaron, the TSS OST can be remastered and remixed. The synth is what made it great, and all of the harp/flute/chimes or whatever the hell they used gave it that magical essence. There is nothing like that 48 seconds of magic from the White Dragon Cave music or the fantastic slight chord changes in the Goddess Shrine music.

Yes, the PSP soundtrack is much better than the Saturn/PS score for sure but it's still not the same. The TSS score just burned itself into my soul and left something that can't be replaced.

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Did you mean "can't" be remastered/remixed? I'm having trouble putting that into context.

I'm reasonably certain most or all of the TSS music was done on a Roland, because not only did I recognize some of the sounds (like the Goddess Tower), I have a midi somewhere of the battle music which sounded identical to the game when played on my SoundCanvas card. I seriously wonder if that was leaked from Two-Five, or whoever it was. Anyway, while I wasn't really that much into midi then and definitely not later, I think the appreciation for Roland sounds was pretty universal at the time, and for some years to follow. And really, a large part of the appeal of some of the music, as SP mentions, is its otherworldly sound. It combined with the cool blue tones of the temples and the White Dragon Cave to make something mysterious and serene.

The one thing I do think it'd be interesting to hear is a full version of Luna's song with real harp accompaniment, such as Alex and Luna would have actually performed at the festival. Should I ever manage to get myself a decent harp I'll give it a try.

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

I meant what I said initially. The original TSS soundtrack "can" be remastered and/or remixed ala what was done with the Sat/PS SSS soundtrack on PSP.

Granted, there is always a right way and a wrong way to do things. Even the TSS OST can be made into something more epic than it already is, but the soundtrack itself is something to behold. I would love it to be remastered just to really flesh out the tones and bring out a more vibrant sound. Obviously when you compare older cd music to it's remastered versions you get louder cleaner sound in the remaster.

I also have to add that I prefer Alex's harp accompaniment in Luna's Burg Spring's song over the ocarina, because it made it more beautiful.

Aaron
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by Aaron »

Alunissage wrote:cool blue tones
I think that describes TSS soundtrack completely. It definitely had a "cool" feel.

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

Part of the reason the music is enchanting. There is just something about it that is more soulful or ethereal.

However, I will admit that the PSP soundtrack sounds worlds better than the initial midi-gasm from SSS.

MetalFRO
Meribian Merchant

Post by MetalFRO »

Is this the actual in-game music, or just the OST disc that comes w/ the game, like what came w/ Lunar: SSSC?
Music reviews
Listen to "The Gamut" Sunday evenings from 9 PM - midnight EST on Blabber Jesus Radio!

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

Well most of the music from the SSSC soundtrack was directly from the game, and I would assume the same thing is true with SSH aside from the bonus tracks.

AlasdairPalemoon
Red Dragon Priest

Post by AlasdairPalemoon »

I'm really enjoying what I've been hearing from the rearrangements so far. I'm particularly happy to see the battle musics have a lot more energy behind them. Someone on youtube also has a collection of the battle musics from Harmony and while it isn't the best quality, I can already tell the last boss music ("Go Go Go!"...which I admit is a bit of a silly name, but Iwadare rules, anyway) has a much better arrangement.

Anyone that played the Saturn import version all the way through knows that SSS had better sound quality and arrangements and I really liked the 'Go Go Go!" arrangement from that version. When I heard the much more subdued sounding version on PSOne, I wasn't sure if these were supposed to be climatic battles or a somewhat intense tea party.

Anyways, really looking forward to the release. The repeated pushing back of dates definitely brings back that nostalgic Working Designs feel, too :)
"The wisest mind has yet something to learn." - George Santayana

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

I never played the Saturn version of SSS, and I wish I had decided to back in the day. I have Eternal Blue for the Saturn. I think I didn't buy SSS because of the crappy quality anime, but then of course the MPEG version came out later.

MiaOne
Dragonmaster

Post by MiaOne »

Wow. I'm really digging the music way more than I did with SSSC. I never really realized how cheesy and synthesized the SSSC soundtrack sounds until I've been listening to it and the SSH soundtrack side by side. Of course, TSS will always be my favorite.
Lunar: Dragon Song sucked

Nicole Reannin Elgan-Moore
We will always remember...

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

Yes, the quality is much better on SSH which I find funny. A handheld game beating sound quality on a console, that's just sad. We can only hope for a Lunar game with as fantastic sounding music as TSS. Eternal Blue was good, but completely different composition wise.