Victor Ireland + Sunsoft = Profit?

Your general gaming entertainment thread.
From Mario to Sonic, Zelda to Final Fantasy. Talk about it here.
cj iwakura
Student of Vane
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Victor Ireland + Sunsoft = Profit?

Post by cj iwakura »

Hoping for good things.
Sunsoft, a division of SUNCORPORATION, has today announced their return to active console game publishing for the North American market, aided by startup GAIJINWORKS.

Kiharu Yoshida, CEO of SUNCORPORATION (JASDAQ: 6736) initiated a meeting to discuss the possibility of reinvigorating the Sunsoft console gaming brand in the USA. At that meeting, it was quickly obvious that the relationship was a great fit. GAIJINWORKS President, Victor Ireland states, “My relationship with Sunsoft and Yoshida-san goes back more than 15 years, and when this opportunity presented itself to help Sunsoft return to the US console market, it was a natural fit for both our companies.”

This month, the Sunsoft website is being re-launched at sunsoftgames.com, where users will be able to get the latest information about current releases, upcoming games, and special promotions, as well as interact in the forum. Kiharu Yoshida wanted gamers to know that Sunsoft plans to launch a number of special promotions where big prizes can be won, and exclusive, limited edition premiums would be up for grabs as well. Ireland added that some of the swag being made would only be available through these promotions – and is sure to please Sunsoft fans, new and old.

The first title out of the gate for Sunsoft USA will be the Wii Virtual Console release of the Nintendo Entertainment System classic Blaster Master, due in December 2009. Originally titled Meta Fight in Japan, this groundbreaking game was given a story makeover and released in 1988 as Blaster Master™ here in the United States. It received strong critical acclaim and fan raves almost from the moment it hit these shores.

Blaster Master™ is still often listed on magazine and online charts as one of the top 25 NES games ever created. The sublime blend of side-scrolling shooting/platforming mixed with overhead perspective action/shooting areas is just as addictive now as it was then. It will be available for 500 Wii points.

In the coming weeks, additional titles coming to the US market will be announced, many of which will surprise and delight gaming fans. Ireland added, “This first Wii release is a great start, but there is one upcoming announcement in particular that will demonstrate just how serious Yoshida-san is about rebuilding the Sunsoft console gaming brand here. Game fans are going to be pretty happy when they hear about it – I know I was. “

About SUNCORPORATION. Located in Aichi prefecture in Japan, SUN CORPORATION has been innovating electronic equipment and software for almost forty years. Their corporate slogan, “Dream, Challenge, and Creation” perfectly summarizes the spirit that gave birth to their software company Sunsoft. Worldwide, Sunsoft has developed or published almost 100 games for both consoles and arcades. They also publish for iPhone and Windows mobile platforms.

About GAIJINWORKS. GAIJINWORKS was founded by Victor Ireland after spending more than 15 years as President of Working Designs, where he innovated deluxe packaging, special premiums, pack-in soundtracks and game documentaries for their RPG product. Many of the practices he innovated have become standard in the RPG segment, and console video games in general. GAIJINWORKS is focused on continuing a tradition of fanservice for game fans.

So what could this mean? Some speculation suggests that this could mean a port of the classic Saturn RPG 'Albert Odyssey: Legend of Eldean', or better yet, another game in the series making it to the US. Only Albert Odyssey Gaiden, localized as Legend of Eldean, had the opportunity.

I'd welcome a revival.

Nobiyuki77
Legendary Hero

Re: Victor Ireland + Sunsoft = Profit?

Post by Nobiyuki77 »

As would I. Seriously underrated game. ^_^ Vic certainly knows how to tease, he wrote this later.
Okay, since we're talking poker talk, I will say that I recommended a specific course of action in one area (we're dealing with many areas in this Sunsoft resurgence), and Yoshida-san essentially said, "I like where you're headed. I'll see your <suggestion> and go all in <with a MUCH larger implementation of what I recommended, which is what the press release will cover>".

I was literally stunned to hear how far he went with what I recommended. I'm pretty sure you, especially, will be as well.
-Nobi

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

Oh God, Aero the Acrobat returns...

J/K... maybe... I still have my Saturn Albert Odyssey but the game had some fatal flaws that need correcting if this is the case. I always love me some Kubooka art.

What other titles did Sunsoft make? I know there were other rpgs, but I can't think of other games right now.

Nobiyuki77
Legendary Hero

Post by Nobiyuki77 »

-Nobi

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

What about rpgs? I don't think Waku Waku 7 is on their list of priorities.

Nobiyuki77
Legendary Hero

Post by Nobiyuki77 »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ga ... by_Sunsoft

Albert Odyssey is the only RPG series that jumps out. A NeoGAFer found that Sunsoft filed a new trademark for Albert Odyssey just this year, complete with original logo.
-Nobi

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

So maybe Victor was cheezing over the prospects of a new Alberty Odyssey game then.

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

Also, looking at that list of games they had a plethora of crap IP's. Let's hope their new focus is on quality over quantity.

If they could churn out a new epic rpg that is always welcome, because I haven't played anything since FF12 and that game blew goats. At least FF13 will give me something new console wise in March, among other must haves for me and Lunar before that (hopefully).

If there is going to be a new Albert Odyssey I hope they can churn out a better musical score. The battle theme was such crap.

Nobiyuki77
Legendary Hero

Post by Nobiyuki77 »

Silver Phoenix wrote:Also, looking at that list of games they had a plethora of crap IP's. Let's hope their new focus is on quality over quantity.

If they could churn out a new epic rpg that is always welcome, because I haven't played anything since FF12 and that game blew goats. At least FF13 will give me something new console wise in March, among other must haves for me and Lunar before that (hopefully).

If there is going to be a new Albert Odyssey I hope they can churn out a better musical score. The battle theme was such crap.
Well, the only music in Albert Odyssey that I DIDN'T like was the battle music. Everything else was gorgeous.
-Nobi

Justinzero
Lostest Boy

Post by Justinzero »

I liked the game big time, and I'm guessing this mystery title is going to be a PSP port of the Saturn version.

I'd like to see some English versions to the two SFC games, but they aren't very good from what I remember. Ether way, its nice to at least see Vic Ireland and Sunsoft back in gaming news. Its almost like 1996 all over again.

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

Well as long as Vic doesn't go into delay delay delay mode as he's always done. I don't know if Gaijinworks is operating under the same lethargic pace as Working Designs.

Justinzero
Lostest Boy

Post by Justinzero »

I'm in no rush to play whatever they make. As long as they don't pull the announced date push backs, then I won't care. I'm really hoping to see some good sales for both camps, because we could always use another company localizing good Japanese games.

Aaron
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by Aaron »

Sounds like more saber rattling by Vic. The guy announced his company (Gaijinworks) with much hooplah and bravado and for years nothing happened. I expect the same with this new bedfellow. I seriously doubt there will be anything remotely similar to the games that Working Designs were pumping out.

I mean come on, Albert Odyssey? That's one game, unless Sunsoft can start making new games I don't see whats so great about it. I am not at all interested in a remake of Master Blaster...

This is much ado about nothing.

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

The problem is that there are many WD zealots out there and the man is frankly egotistical. However, it will be interesting to see what comes out of the woodwork (if anything).

cj iwakura
Student of Vane

Post by cj iwakura »

He's been posting at Sunsoft's new boards if anyone's interested.

http://www.sunsoftgames.com

Mostly cryptic stuff, like usual.

Gaijinworks has been taking their sweet time, but I'm okay with that as long as it pays off.

Miami Law's not quite what I have in mind.

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Even though I have the AO soundtrack, the only piece of music I can remember in it was the overworld music after getting the airship. But that was a really great piece. I never did finish the game, though; pretty much stopped at that point after finding that all those little islands you could finally get to had... nothing on them at all.

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

I agree with the music once you acquire the airship being fantastic, but what a freaking waste with bland emptiness on the islands.

That battle theme was just all kinds of awful.

WD RPG WD
White Dragon Knight

Post by WD RPG WD »

This is the most famous track from the game. This is the overworld before you get the airship.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRzenYt2mkY

The airship song is pretty darn amzing as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67_ekpqADTc Its the first song in the video.

The music was done by Naoki Kodaka. I don't think he did much after this game.
Last edited by WD RPG WD on Tue Dec 08, 2009 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shiva Indis
White Dragon Knight

Post by Shiva Indis »

Wow, those songs are beautiful. When I played Albert Oddesey, it probably never even occurred to me that the music was good. I actually considering replaying it after hearing those peices... but then I remembered that my strongest impression of the game is a sense that it squandered its potential. :cry:
「まあいいけど。」

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

The boss battles were also really long. They were all like endurance races. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)