What's in Lunar 3 ??????

For discussion of rumors of any new Lunar games, including the nonexistent Lunar 3

Who Do You Think Will Be Back In Lunar 3?!?

Ghaleon
14%
Zophar
3%
luna
No votes
Lucia
20%
Alex
6%
Hiro
6%
The Four Dragons
51%

Total votes: 35

localflick
Black Dragon Wizard
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Post by localflick »

Architecture aside, I really hope that Lunar 3 (or DS for that matter) continues the family line in Vane, and the descendants in the shop in Meribia. Having descendants of familiar characters really ties the series together. Having familiar cities and seeing how they've changed is really cool too. I'm sure if they wanted to they could find a way to slip Ghaleon in.
I will miss Working Designs giving us boatloads of goodies, hardbound books, and mildly innappropriate (but funny) jokes though. :cry: Well, no more getting felt up in the giggle tent... :shock:

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Is there any reason to assume that the giggle den doesn't have similar content in the Japanese original? I don't remember it being missing from when I played, but that was a few years ago.

localflick
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by localflick »

Okay, maybe the giggle tent wasn't the best example. But their use of subtly suggestive sexual humor is in there. There's supposed to be a Clinton joke in EB complete, but either I haven't found it, or I forgot what it was.
I'll also really miss Working Designs references to 90's pop culture like the Kwik-E-Mart poster, or the Courney Love joke in LSSS complete.

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

localflick wrote:Okay, maybe the giggle tent wasn't the best example. But their use of subtly suggestive sexual humor is in there. There's supposed to be a Clinton joke in EB complete, but either I haven't found it, or I forgot what it was. I'll also really miss Working Designs references to 90's pop culture like the Kwik-E-Mart poster, or the Courney Love joke in LSSS complete.

The Clinton joke was in East Nota towards the top-left. An NPC says "If I were in a position to give money away to bums, you'd call me Clinton and I'd be President". There were relatively few pop-culture references, really; and all of them were in NPC dialogue in the Lunar series. A few other games had references in major dialogue, though... Alundra had it in one line, and Albert Odyssey I think had it in several.

The Giggle Den was almost the same in the Japanese version, and there were still plenty of subtle sexual references spread throughout. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

localflick
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by localflick »

Way to cite! Thanks.
Guess I've been wrong about Working Designs. Hmmm, I really should've taken Japanese instead of Italian... I'd have so many more games to play.

Kizyr

Post by Kizyr »

localflick wrote:Way to cite! Thanks.

No problem. I have the EB and TSS scripts memorized, so quoting that from memory ain't an issue.

Guess I've been wrong about Working Designs. Hmmm, I really should've taken Japanese instead of Italian... I'd have so many more games to play.

No reason why you can't take both. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Just to clarify: the Clinton joke is in the SegaCD EB, not EB Complete as localflick said/asked.

Rune Lai
Bromide Hunter

Post by Rune Lai »

Kizyr wrote:The Clinton joke was in East Nota towards the top-left. An NPC says "If I were in a position to give money away to bums, you'd call me Clinton and I'd be President". There were relatively few pop-culture references, really; and all of them were in NPC dialogue in the Lunar series.

The worst one for me was in the main plotline, which was why I disliked it. Leo asks Hiro (I think this is in the Tower of Azado) if he really thinks Lucia is the destroyer, and one of the answers is "only once a month." Talk about kicking a player out of the mood of the game... >_<
You have taught us the pity to live.
But I will not forget the beauty of life itself.
--Hyuui Riin, Phantasy Star II
-- http://www.sabrecat.net/ --

Ruby
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Ruby »

Clinton joke exact words

If I had money to give to bums like you I would be president and my name would be Clinton.

I so loved that line.. but I guess not everyone like that stuff as much as I..

localflick
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by localflick »

Sega CD? Ah! That would be why I don't remember it in my last play-through. As for the Japanese thing, I'd like to take a class in it, but I'm done with school and don't plan to go back until I pay off my massive student loan fees. So maybe a few books on Japanese will work for now.

There was another joke of questionable tastelessness in the Lunar 2 Playstation Strategy Guide that really sticks out in my mind.
On pg 234 There's a screenshot of Lucia saying "The power of the Red Dragon has been unleashed, but Ruby has not absorbed it." with a caption that reads: "Lucia confuses Ruby with a Stay-Free. (Well they are both red...)"

After reading that I really didn't know how to feel. I'm assuming there was a Japanese strat guide as well. Were there captions like this there too? It seems like the immature humor found in a lot of anime, but it could've just been the work of Working Designs. I don't know who to blame anymore :?

Kizyr

Post by Kizyr »

The strategy guides are written independently of one another. Stuff in the game is usually in both. Working Designs actually does a very good job of translating, some of the best, and it takes a play-through of the original Japanese versions to really appreciate that. Only occasionally will they insert oddball references; but most of the humour in WD-published games was in the original language in some form or another. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

The strat guide jokes would all be WD, I think. One of their (former) writers had a very, hm, sexual sense of humor, and he did all four guides and most dialogue for the PS games. I'd blame him for the menstrual jokes and just about any involving breasts. The potty humor was someone else. I don't know whether there were similar things in the Japanese games and what they were, but there's definitely humor in them. A lot of the time one joke had to be substituted for another, since puns just don't translate. However, it's a mistake to assume that it's WD who makes the games funny. One thing that was interesting about Legend is that several of the NPC jokes were recognizable, albeit a bit mangled, suggesting that those were in the Japanese versions of both Legend and SSS and direct-translated by both WD and Ubi.

Oh, and I looked up the exact text and context of the Clinton joke in the text dump:
NPC: HOW ABOUT A BEAUTIFUL LIFE
FLOWER TODAY?

C'MON, A BEAUTIFUL FLOWER
FOR A BEAUTIFUL LADY...
WHAT DO YA SAY?

Lemina: I'D RATHER HAVE A BEAUTIFUL
1000S COIN, CAN YOU ARRANGE
THAT, TOO?

NPC: GIRLIE, IF I WERE IN THE
POSITION TO THROW AWAY
CASH ON BUMS,

YOU'D CALL ME CLINTON AND
I'D BE PRESIDENT.

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

To be honest, after replaying Lunar EBC the past month, the Austin Powers references got old. Hearing Ronfar scream "Yeah baby, yeah" over and over was okay the first time I played it, but got annoying this time around. Mostly because I always hated Austin Powers. For the most part, the humor was good in the Lunar games, but I also agree with Rune on the "only once a month". That was one that always bugged me, even back when I originally played it. I never minded the humor, even pop-culture references, in NPC dialouge.
-G1

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Ah. Well, for those of us who don't get the references in the battle voices, they only get old because they're, well, battle voices. :P I do like the various running away ones, though.

Kizyr

Post by Kizyr »

Alunissage wrote:Ah. Well, for those of us who don't get the references in the battle voices, they only get old because they're, well, battle voices. :P I do like the various running away ones, though.

Oh right. I still love "Sometimes you gotta know when to walk away and know when to run!" References an old song I still really like {^^}. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

MiaOne
Dragonmaster

Post by MiaOne »

"Taste my refreshment!"

:wink:
Lunar: Dragon Song sucked

Nicole Reannin Elgan-Moore
We will always remember...

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Kizyr wrote:
Alunissage wrote:Ah. Well, for those of us who don't get the references in the battle voices, they only get old because they're, well, battle voices. :P I do like the various running away ones, though.

Oh right. I still love "Sometimes you gotta know when to walk away and know when to run!" References an old song I still really like {^^}. KF

Yup, that's exactly the one I was thinking of. I was laughing for quite a bit after hearing it. It fit so well. And I like the song too.

meru
Reza Thief

Post by meru »

Furthermore, it is rumored that Lunar 3 will actually take a step away from the storylines followed in Lunar 1 and 2 and will have an entirely new cast of characters in a completely new world and story arch. However, none of this has been confirmed.

Hm, what can this mean I wonder?
I wanted healing, attention, and love to gain. But you gave me hatred, abuse and pain.
-Meru

Kizyr

Post by Kizyr »

meru wrote:
Furthermore, it is rumored that Lunar 3 will actually take a step away from the storylines followed in Lunar 1 and 2 and will have an entirely new cast of characters in a completely new world and story arch. However, none of this has been confirmed.

Hm, what can this mean I wonder?

It means whoever you're quoting is making it up as he goes along.

"Rumoured but not confirmed" is polite-speak for -Dragon Diamond-. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

That rumor is also about 3-4 years old. Thankfully, the newest comments, this time by one of the scenario designers in that new issue of Nintendo Power, state that they'd love to do a sequel to Lunar 2 (ie, REAL sequel, not in name only), so those rumors about a Lunar 3 having nothing to do with Lunar 1 and 2 that were circulated a few years ago (and not exactly from unbiased sources...) don't hold much water now.
-G1