Anyone played any of these?

Your general gaming entertainment thread.
From Mario to Sonic, Zelda to Final Fantasy. Talk about it here.
AlexAybara
Reza Thief
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Anyone played any of these?

Post by AlexAybara »

Im just wondering if my fellow lunar fans has played any of these.

Brave Fencer Musashi
Tales of Destiny
Tales of Eternia
Legend of Legaia
Breath of fire 3 or 4
Threads of Fate

I don't own threads of fate anymore, but I have played it a long time ago and remember really liking it. I just figured it be nice to meet other people who not only played Lunar but these games as well.

Hirox
Student of Vane

Re: Anyone played any of these?

Post by Hirox »

Ha have played most of these. Tales of Destiny was Ace. I quite enjoyed Breath of Fire III and IV. Legend of Legaia and Brave Fencer Musashi were alright. Never played Threads of Fate.

Lunar Eclipse
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Lunar Eclipse »

I've played the Tales games and the Breath of Fire games, and while I own Threads of Fate, I still haven't managed to play through it. I know, I'm really behind. ^.^;
Let those who war with life forfeit their own! -- Mareg, Grandia II

Vyse of Arcadia
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Vyse of Arcadia »

I've played most of those. I never did play Brave Fencer Musashi or Tales of Destiny, but the rest are good games.

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

We have most of those, but the only one I myself have played is Legend of Legaia. I actually bought it in summer 1999 because the store didn't have SSSC. I don't know how it would hold up now (it was only the third RPG I ever played), but I really enjoyed it. Its soundtrack remains my most-played game soundtrack ever, which means possibly my most played CD ever. (There are undoubtedly more standout soundtracks, but it was my car-driving CD for years.) I liked the battle system, and really want to replay the game someday.

One thing about playing it before SSSC was that I was surprised that SSSC was still 2D for that generation. :lol: It's weird to think how little I knew about the Lunar series then, having only played TSS for a few times.

Shortly after that I picked up Tales of Destiny and played several hours only to lose my time in the game through some dumb circumstance. Spouse and I started playing it again about 10 years later, got maybe halfway or so through the game, and got distracted. We'll get back to it someday, if we can remember what the heck was going on.

Spouse also played Brave Fencer Musashi and liked it. I don't think he's played it since I've known him, but he played its sequel for a while; unfortunately I can't tell you much even about that because it made me motion sick.

Lunar Eclipse
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Lunar Eclipse »

Alunissage wrote:Shortly after that I picked up Tales of Destiny and played several hours only to lose my time in the game through some dumb circumstance. Spouse and I started playing it again about 10 years later, got maybe halfway or so through the game, and got distracted. We'll get back to it someday, if we can remember what the heck was going on.
If you're able to muddle through a Japanese game, I'd really suggest the Playstation 2 remake. It's worlds better than the original, which had a really rough system.

Shiva Indis
White Dragon Knight

Post by Shiva Indis »

Brave Fencer Musashi - Only played enough to know that your true enemy is the camera. :P

Tales of Destiny - Hells yeah! LE's probably right that it's clunkiness makes it tough to play these days. I submit that Tales of Destiny is to Tales of Destiny DC as TSS is to SSS. More polished, brighter, and less edgy.

Tales of Eternia - Enjoyed it a lot, gameplay is much improved over ToD, but I didn't find it as engaging.

Legend of Legaia - I know I have it and I played it some, but... I guess my impressions aren't useful on this one.

Threads of Fate - Interesting characters and storytelling, if only it was longer...
「まあいいけど。」

ShindoW
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by ShindoW »

I ordered Threads of Fate with Legend of Mana years ago off of Amazon. I actually love Threads of Fate, but I got stuck in an ice cave in the beginning and never got back to it. My gf picked it up (as we usually play opposing main characters in games like ToF, Star Ocean 2, ect.) but she didn't get very far either.

I still don't have Legend of Legaia, even though I've wanted it for years. Somehow, I have Legaia 2 Duel Saga, though.

I own Tales of Destiny, but arrrrgghhhh, I am so confused on the GBA port of Phantasia and I wanted to play them in order (for the heck of it). I love the Phantasia battle system (I didn't finish ToS because the game dragged on and on and on and I said screw it, but I watched my gf's playthrough, now she's trudging through ToS2, which as most people have heard, is full of suck). I'll pick it up with Tales of Destiny 2 (Eternia) one day.

Lunar Eclipse
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Lunar Eclipse »

ShindoW wrote:I'll pick it up with Tales of Destiny 2 (Eternia) one day.
Make sure you get Tales of Destiny II with the Roman numeral. The one with the Arabic numeral is JP only and is the actual sequel to Destiny. ^.^;

Dark_Fairy
White Dragon Knight

Post by Dark_Fairy »

I've played Tales of Eternia, Tales of Destiny, Legend of Legaia, and Threads of Fate. I've beaten Destiny and Threads of Fate. I still need to beat Legaia and Eternia though. I really should get around to both of those again...but...*stares at the huge pile of games she still needs to beat*

Threads of Fate was a cute and amazing little game. It was my second game for the PSX (Digimon World 2 being my first). I played and completed the game with both characters. I started with Rue and then completed it with Mint.
ShindoW wrote:I ordered Threads of Fate with Legend of Mana years ago off of Amazon. I actually love Threads of Fate, but I got stuck in an ice cave in the beginning and never got back to it. My gf picked it up (as we usually play opposing main characters in games like ToF, Star Ocean 2, ect.) but she didn't get very far either.
THE ICE CAVE IS ANNOYING!! Ok, sorry for the caps, but I remember spending hours trying to figure that out. I was 10 when I first played through that, so I had a heck of a time trying to figure it out. I eventually did, of course, but it's so annoying. I can understand why you never got past it. I didn't pick up the game for a while when I got stuck there too. @_@

AlexAybara
Reza Thief

Post by AlexAybara »

Wow. I wake up and see I've already got replies. It's nice to see people who's played these too. xD

I have a thing for trying to rush through rpgs without fighting enemies much. And always end up at low levels for bosses because im so into the story I always want to get to the next place and figure out what happens next.

*These might have spoilers*

In Breath of fire 3 I end up fighting the final boss at lvl 37 or something with no status curing items at all. Do you have any idea how hard that is? Not only that I was clueless on the whole master system. So I never actually used it. Also I had a battle in the game where my team except for Garr was wiped out. He got Ko'ed but came back with Guts. And hit the boss for a critical and won.

Breath of fire 4 I beat that uh...Guardian dog thing Fou-lu has at lvl 35. I won by extreme Luck. I actually haven't beaten the final boss yet though. I should get around to doing that someday.

Tales of Eternia, You guys fight Sekundes on Hardcore? That guy is insane. Im lvl 75 and I still can't beat him. I came close once but Meredy didn't cast indignation in time. He used a stupid Maxwell extension then my whole team was just wiped out.

Tales of Destiny I've only rented but got close to the end. I don't remember any tough battles but I used to make it so I can fight Leon Magnus one on one with Stahn. Which is the whole reason I never finished it. I kept loading the save before the battle to fight him again. The song that plays when you fight him is so epic. I have the remake but not knowing whats going on bothers me. I can't follow the story at all.

In Brave Fencer Musashi I had problems with Ed since when I tried to jump over his beam, I'd got hit. So I thought you couldn't jump over it for the longest time. Topo was an interesting boss by the way. Who can forget "Dance! OR DIE!" xD

By the way. In Lunar itself. Am I crazy for trying to take on Ghaleon at lvl 36ish with only 5 or 6 starlights? I eventually had to restart the game just to get to him with more starlights. Then after finally beating Ghaleon I end up dying from Luna. And I didn't save. So I had to fight him all over again.

ShindoW
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by ShindoW »

Lunar Eclipse wrote:
ShindoW wrote:I'll pick it up with Tales of Destiny 2 (Eternia) one day.
Make sure you get Tales of Destiny II with the Roman numeral. The one with the Arabic numeral is JP only and is the actual sequel to Destiny. ^.^;
I own the game already (Eternia). The only way I'll pick up Tales of Destiny 2 (JP) is if its released in Europe or Australia or gets an official or fan translation. ;(

LuNaRtIc
Bromide Hunter

Post by LuNaRtIc »

AlexAybara wrote:By the way. In Lunar itself. Am I crazy for trying to take on Ghaleon at lvl 36ish with only 5 or 6 starlights? I eventually had to restart the game just to get to him with more starlights. Then after finally beating Ghaleon I end up dying from Luna. And I didn't save. So I had to fight him all over again.
I don't think you're CRAZY... but there may be a screw a little loose somewhere. :P
Haha, all joking aside though, I'm not sure how hard it is to fight Ghaleon at that level, it must've been tough though. I think I've always fought him while in the level 40 range. Congrats on beating him! I hope you made it through the second time, after the slip up with Luna.

I've only played Threads of Fate a long time ago. And even then, I think I only completed Mint's story and just a part of Rue's. I believe I still have the game around the house somewhere, I should go play it again. :P
「美しい白い竜 愛しい白い竜…」
My avatar art was done by luleiya! <3

Old_School
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Old_School »

I played most of those games. Some of the other non-Lunar games I liked were Suikoden 1&2, Final Fantasy 6-9, Chrono Cross and Star Ocean: The Second Story.

AlexAybara
Reza Thief

Post by AlexAybara »

Old_School wrote:I played most of those games. Some of the other non-Lunar games I liked were Suikoden 1&2, Final Fantasy 6-9, Chrono Cross and Star Ocean: The Second Story.
I played Chrono Trigger but never got the chance to play Chrono Cross. I should really try to find a copy sometime. I played most of the final fantasy's. Actually I think I played them all up to 10. After 10-2 I stopped. <_< 8-10 were probably my favorites.

I also downloaded Suikoden on the Playstation network recently. I plan to start on it once I beat Legacy of Kain.

ShindoW
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by ShindoW »

Alex, just be wary. Most people who absolutely loved Trigger hated Cross. I am a Cross fan myself, but not because I played it first. I just found the plot more interesting and it was the reason I went back to play Trigger (makes Disc 2 so much more fun).

The game is really good overall, but I think it almost gets the same treatment as FFVIII. The system Cross uses (colored plates in slots.. kinda like Materia with limited uses per battle) was similar to VIII's Junction system and takes a long time to prepare but its fun. Also, the characters... I even agree there was too many. I ended up using the equivelent of Chrono, Magus, and Glenn for Cross ;p

Vyse of Arcadia
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Vyse of Arcadia »

I think the problem with Cross is that CT fans hear it's something like a sequel and are then shocked to find out it's nothing at all like they imagined.

My only issue is that I didn't much care for the battle system. It's a good game on the whole, though.

AlexAybara
Reza Thief

Post by AlexAybara »

I actually liked the junction system in FF8. And Ya, I seen bits of Cross and know it's not like Trigger. But it seems like a cool game anyways.