Lose 30 pounds by your next appointment with me....

General talk. News, religion, politics, your daily life, whatever, it goes here. Just keep it clean.
chiiruchan
Red Dragon Priest
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Lose 30 pounds by your next appointment with me....

Post by chiiruchan »

So... my doctor said I have to lose weight because my poor liver. And he demanded I lose 30 pounds in 3 months. O_O; I can't move around too much cause I only have 30% lung capacity. It's gonna all be a matter of diet. I'm too scared to eat... :cry: I have been vegetarian for 6 years. And I found out 3 years ago I was 170 lbs. I wish I was still that small. Even worse... the insurance won't cover a nutritionist because it isn't diabetic related. $250 a month for insurance and I can't even see a nutritionist!! ARG!!

o-o; I also have only a microwave to cook. The stove has been broke forever. There has to be something healthy to microwave...

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Re: Lose 30 pounds by your next appointment with me....

Post by Werefrog »

Well... you can eat lots of salads. There are also some decent frozen vegetable mixes that are microwaveable. Umm... I also really like Morning Star veggie burgers. I honestly don't know too much about vegetarian diets. I would suggest eating more whole grains and just trying to scale back. Also, try to eat less cheese.

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

How is the stove broken? Do you have an oven?

There isn't a lot (besides leftovers and frozen veggies) that you can reheat in a microwave that are all that good. Most instant meals are loaded with sodium and salt, and really not good for you. You're better off trying for food that doesn't need to be microwaved in the first place--salads, etc. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

chiiruchan
Red Dragon Priest

Post by chiiruchan »

:3 I got some salad tonight for dinner. I went to Walmart to get food but because of the hurricane coming it was a frenzy. O_o; I was able to get some whole grain cereal and pasta and some veggies for now. I really didn't want to go through the checkout for more than 20 items. I had to get some other non-food items.

The stove/oven is a fire hazard so it can't be turned on at all. That's why I use the microwave. My mom never did get a new stove. :(

Instead of icecream and junk I got a smoothie after dinner. :) It was kiwi strawberry!

Kaiya-Sky
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Kaiya-Sky »

I wish you luck on achieving your goal

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Post by Werefrog »

You know what...

You could get one of these...
http://www.amazon.com/Waring-DB60-Porta ... 415&sr=8-2

Granted, I'm not the healthiest of cook (many days of the week I rely on sodium heavy foods to use as meal starters like veggie burgers), but the majority of the cooking I do is on the stovetop.

LuNaRtIc
Bromide Hunter

Post by LuNaRtIc »

Snack on celery and mustard! You can eat as much as you want, no calories at all! D: I'm trying to lose some weight too. Celery, carrots and mustard are my Godsend lol. Mustard fights my sugar cravings. Its good if you want something like chips too, because you get the crunchy salty goodness without all the junk lol.

Anyway, you have our support. :) Good luck! Keep us posted!!
「美しい白い竜 愛しい白い竜…」
My avatar art was done by luleiya! <3

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

Oatmeal is your best friend, if you don't mind it. I'm actually training to play in a pretty big soccer tournament at the end of October and realized if I wanted to stand any chance of hanging with seasoned college players, I'd need to be in tip-top shape. I'm doing some of the P90x workouts along with my normal soccer routine, but what's really made me drop tons of weight is dieting. Workouts and all that are great if you can do them, and will only build on fat and weight loss, but dieting is the key. At least it's always been for me. And by dieting I don't mean killing yourself on calories, but rather, eating as healthy as possible while at least keeping track of the calories. Oatmeal works for me sprinkled with a little brown sugar and fruit. It's filling and good for you.
-G1

JediLeroy
Lostest Boy

Post by JediLeroy »

I lost 20 lbs over the summer, from 232 to 212 (I'm 6'6") by following these steps.

Take your time to eat, and stop when you're not hungry--don't eat until you feel full.
Drink lots of water. Avoid a lot of juice and soda (they're both loaded with sugar, regardless of the supposed benefits of the fruit juice).
Try snacking on baby carrots or cucumber slices between meals if you get really hungry.

This has worked for me twice (the first time I dropped from 265 to 225, shedding my sympathy pregnancy weight during my wife's first pregnancy).

Some people swear by eating 5 smaller meals throughout the day. It's not like the human body needs exactly 3 meals every day--it just needs food when it's hungry.

Ardent Fox
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by Ardent Fox »

Smaller meals spread throughout the day work. I've seen it time and time again when I was in the service by guys who needed to drop some extra pounds. It helps keep your metabolism going so that way you burn more.

As far as exercise, you don't have to be a marathon runner, but walking certainly helps. Walk around your local mall or something, just do what you can do.

You've gotten a lot of great advice so far, stick to it and you can lose the weight. You'll probably feel a lot better with it off of you too.

chiiruchan
Red Dragon Priest

Post by chiiruchan »

Thanks for all the tips, everyone!! :) I think I got off on a good start at Walmart last night... though it was so crowded because a hurricane is coming!! O_O; I made sure none of my meals would be more than 6 grams of fat. And... raw veggies are coming next trip. I only could get so much because it was so crowded!! I ended up having to attempt a self checkout and I ended up with someone working there helping. ._. But this weekend if I'm not blown away I'll grab the veggies.

Dark_Fairy
White Dragon Knight

Post by Dark_Fairy »

I can't say much, considering everyone else pretty much covered it, but I wish you luck! :mrgreen:

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

Some people swear by eating 5 smaller meals throughout the day. It's not like the human body needs exactly 3 meals every day--it just needs food when it's hungry.
Yes, definitely. 5 meals a day... I've even done six, where most of them had (1) protein + a little fat, to stave off hunger, (2) some vegetable or fruit, and (3) a carbohydrate - whole grains especially. I did that in a fairly intensive exercise regimen.

The couple of things I would suggest in your case (since all the advice is probably fine in your case) are:
1. It's good that you're moderating fats. Just make sure that you're getting enough to keep yourself from feeling too hungry. Speaking from experience, the difference for me between being famished by dinner and being hungry but okay is a cheese stick. YMMV.
2. You obviously can't exercise much, but I think there are some low-intensity workouts out there you might be able to do. They might involve stretching, or light weights. Maybe even yoga. Even if your flexibility is impaired, most times you can get something out of even trying.
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

Monde Luna
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by Monde Luna »

Chiruchan I have been trying to lose weight also, I have inflammation/joint problems so exercising can be difficult at times. I don't know how busy you get but I got this new recipe for salad made with kale, you can dress it and keep it in the frige and it doesn't get all soggy and gross. I love it! I generally do lots of cooking on one day and keep things prepacked in the frige so I don't have to cook throughout the week, this recipe is perfect for that. It's a foodnetwork recipe from Aarti Sequeira It's really versatile you can sub sunflower seeds for pepitas and use any fruit you want.

Ingredients
1 bunch kale (black kale is especially good), stalks removed and discarded, leaves thinly sliced
1 lemon, juiced
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
Kosher salt
2 teaspoons honey
Freshly ground black pepper
1 mango, diced small (about 1 cup)
Small handful toasted pepitas (pumpkin seeds), about 2 rounded tablespoons

Okay now you really do have to massage the kale it makes all the difference in the world.

Directions
In large serving bowl, add the kale, half of lemon juice, a drizzle of oil and a little kosher salt. Massage until the kale starts to soften and wilt, 2 to 3 minutes. Set aside while you make the dressing.

In a small bowl, whisk remaining lemon juice with the honey and lots of freshly ground black pepper. Stream in the 1/4 cup of oil while whisking until a dressing forms, and you like how it tastes.

Pour the dressing over the kale, and add the mango and pepitas. Toss and serve.

chiiruchan
Red Dragon Priest

Post by chiiruchan »

._. What exactly is Kale? Isn't it seaweed? :shock: I know what the other ingredients are... just the kale I don't know.

Last night I ate too much. It was low fat... but too much. ;_; I was famished by the time my mom finished cooking dinner. I had 3 fat free refried bean soft tacos with mexican rice... then some rice with nothing on it.

Shiva Indis
White Dragon Knight

Post by Shiva Indis »

Are you thinking of kelp? Kale is a type of cabbage.

O'course, kelp makes a good health food too. ^_^
「まあいいけど。」

Monde Luna
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by Monde Luna »

Kale is a leafy green, it kind of looks like romaine lettuce only it's thicker. It's normally by the lettuce and cabbage.

:)

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Post by Werefrog »

It's a leafy vegetable that according to Wiki is related to cabbage. The salad sounds pretty good to me.

I don't know if you can find it at normal grocery stores. You could definitely find it at an organic grocery.

Monde Luna
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by Monde Luna »

That's a good point werefrog... I buy kale at Henry's but I have never tried a regular grocery store.

Just an fyi thought kale doesn't taste anything like cabbage, its taste is similar to romaine only it doesn't get soggy.

chiiruchan
Red Dragon Priest

Post by chiiruchan »

I looked at a picture of it online... but it doesn't appear that the regular grocery store has it. I don't know where any organic stores are now that the one near us closed. :(