We need a new food thread...

General talk. News, religion, politics, your daily life, whatever, it goes here. Just keep it clean.
Werefrog
Dragonmaster
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

We need a new food thread...

Post by Werefrog »

We used to have a thread about recipes, but I feel we need a new one for me to brag... I mean for us to discuss the foods we are eating.

I made this today:

It's supposed to be Thai Green Curry. It was my first time making it.

It was pretty good. There was quite a bit of preparation involved in making it, but I was pretty satisfied with it. I used a store bought curry paste (I don't live near an Asian market, so I wouldn't be able to get many of the necessary ingredients). I was actually following two (well, sorta three recipes) for this which was probably a bad idea. One recipe seemed to have a pretty glaring mistake (it called for 1 teaspoon of the paste as opposed to a tablespoon). My one complaint was that that it wasn't spicy enough. By the end of it, I had about two tablespoons of the paste in it, but the food was still pretty tame. Next time, I'll add this red chili blend that comes in a funky gel that makes it look like chili toothpaste.

Another modification I'm going to make next time is using less meat and adding more vegetables. I think I'll add an eggplant in next time. I put zucchini in this time because it was cheaper than eggplant, but I'll put them both in next time (especially, if I can find a small one) or just one large eggplant.

So, what are you guys eating?

Imperial Knight
Black Dragon Wizard

Re: We need a new food thread...

Post by Imperial Knight »

Tonight I'll be eating at an Indian restaurant.

Mmmm.... Indian food...

LuNaRtIc
Bromide Hunter

Post by LuNaRtIc »

Snap! That looks DELICIOUS!!! *w*
「美しい白い竜 愛しい白い竜…」
My avatar art was done by luleiya! <3

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Post by Werefrog »

Thank, Lunartic. It was. I'm deciding on what to make next week, and I'm open to suggestions.

Here are some guidelines:
-- I usually eat chicken but pork and vegetarian dishes are good too.
-- I'm just a beginner, so nothing too complicated.
-- My favorite foods are Italian, Indian, Thai, and Chinese.
-- But I'm willing to try new cuisines if a recipe looks good.

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

I usually cook every night or every other night (and package the rest to eat later). Only... I don't really follow recipes, I sort of improvise as I go along. It's mostly my own take on Bangladeshi food, a lot of fish, some Japanese, and some in-between.

I'll try to take a pic of what I'm having tonight. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

Awesome!

I can follow a recipe pretty well, which is what makes me good at baking. For everything else, I just throw together some basics most of the time. Chicken or pork, bread or rice, possibly a sauce, and some veggies. Simple! That can be anything from a plain country dinner to stir fry.
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

Jenner
Dragonmaster

Post by Jenner »

Kizyr wrote:I usually cook every night or every other night (and package the rest to eat later). Only... I don't really follow recipes, I sort of improvise as I go along. It's mostly my own take on Bangladeshi food, a lot of fish, some Japanese, and some in-between.

I'll try to take a pic of what I'm having tonight. KF
Kiz is an amazing cook. I miss his food every time I come home to Ohio. :/
The Infamous Jenner!
Maker of Lists.
RIP Coley...
still adore you Kiz.

Kizyr

Post by Kizyr »

Here's what I had for ifthar yesterday:
IMG_1980.jpg
IMG_1980.jpg (50.08 KiB) Viewed 21505 times
It's basically rice and kimchi, samosa, pakora, and some fried potatoes.

The rice is straightforward (made it in a rice cooker, added bay leaves and butter). The kimchi I got the last time I was at the Korean supermarket here. The samosa and pakora (on the plate) are actually leftovers from ifthar a few nights ago at someone else's place.

For the potatoes... I first boiled a whole potato for maybe 10 minutes so that it'd be soft, meanwhile sauteeing diced onions and minced garlic with fennel and cumin. Then, I diced the potato, mixed it with the onions/garlic, added some salt, cayenne pepper, turmeric, and freshly chopped cilantro, then fried it in with some olive oil. Came out pretty good, but I probably should use less cayenne next time.
Jenner wrote:Kiz is an amazing cook. I miss his food every time I come home to Ohio. :/
I miss you every time you go home to Ohio... :/ KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Shiva Indis
White Dragon Knight

Post by Shiva Indis »

Awesome, kimchi!

I've been meaning to try making some of that stuff. I'm not really what you'd call capable in the kitchen, though. (These days I'd say I'm mostly capable of browsing through fanart. :? ) Your potatoes sound amazing, and encouragingly like something I could manage. Perhaps deceptively like something I could manage...? :mrgreen:
「まあいいけど。」

Vyse of Arcadia
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Vyse of Arcadia »

I made eggs florentine for the lady friend I'm attempting to woo. I really love spinach. Wasn't too salty this time either!

Monde Luna
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by Monde Luna »

Kale Salad - Recipe in other thread
Salad.jpg
Salad.jpg (45.78 KiB) Viewed 21456 times

Kaiya-Sky
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Kaiya-Sky »

We've been making our own egg rolls, and a lot of fried rice latley. For the fried rice we just use what ever meat we had the night before and what ever veggies we have around, i love fried rice with green onion in.

I just tried making one of those knorr side kicks (which i make a lot) and it took me and hour to boil the milk (restarting once) and then after it was cooked, i ended up burning half of it to the bottom of the pot. It took me an hour and half to cook something that is ready to eat in about 12 minutes not including boiling.

Imperial Knight
Black Dragon Wizard

Made a Shepherd's Pie last night. It's a pretty simple recipe. Beef + mashed potatoes + gravy + whatever vegetables you feel like throwing in. I usually make mine with lots of veggies.

Solana
Student of Vane

Post by Solana »

Kizyr, that looks really tasty, especially the samosas!

My fibro and its food restrictions have made me a lot more creative (and healthy) as a cook, as well as being good with leftovers. One of the easiest lunches is to take a piece of cold cooked sausage and slice it, add some steamed vegetables, and top with orange or plum sauce. I also adore stir-fries and fried rice.

I do have a funny story when we were first learning how to bake with sugar substitutes. My mom tried making her kick@$$ brownies with Equal. It smelled good and the batter tasted fine, (since we have to test it, or course :wink: ) so we popped them in the oven.

While they baked, I read the package of Equal. "Do not use in hot drinks since heat will destroy their composition."

Interesting...

The brownies come out, and my brother eagerly stood by to try the first one. They looked about half their normal size, but he grabbed the knife and cut a huge piece for himself, then popped the warm brownie in his mouth.

His eyes went huge, his mouth pursed, and he quickly swallowed. "Uh, Mom, did you change the recipe?"

Mystified, we tried them as well. Yup, the Equal was gone and all one could taste was bitter chocolate and baking powder and flour.

So what does my brother do? Cuts another big one to take to my youngest brother. What do Mom and I do? Follow him to watch. :lol:
This is either madness, or brilliance- Will Turner
It's remarkable how often those traits coincide- Captain Jack Sparrow, Pirates of the Caribbean: Curse of the Black Pearl

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Post by Werefrog »

Hah! That's great. When my mom was on a low carb diet, I remember how bad some of the sugar substitute deserts that she tried to make were.

Kizyr

Post by Kizyr »

I made this the other day for ifthar:
IMG_1981.jpg
IMG_1981.jpg (40.97 KiB) Viewed 21366 times
It's some pasta with spinach, samosas, and baked basa (fish). It might not look that appetizing, but it turned out really good, especially the fish (it flakes easily, so rather than one piece it's kind of in nuggets).

The fish wasn't too difficult. Basa is a type of river fish you can find for pretty cheap at Asian groceries or fish markets. Going from memory, what I did was:
(Ingredients: basa filet(s), olive oil, bread crumbs / panko flakes, salt, black pepper, paprika, cumin, freshly-chopped cilantro, lemon juice)
1. Preheat oven to 375
2. On a cooking sheet / baking pan lined with foil, lay the basa filets and coat with a very thin layer of olive oil
3. Rub in the salt, ground pepper, paprika, and any other spices (thin layer again)
4. Rub in the bread crumbs (slightly thicker layer)
5. Sprinkle chopped cilantro and spray some lemon juice over the filets
6. Bake in oven for 20 minutes or until it starts flaking.

Again, sorry that I don't really use measurements. The spices you use are totally optional and depends on how you'd like it to taste; I rarely use a consistent set/mix of spices anyway.
Solana wrote:While they baked, I read the package of Equal. "Do not use in hot drinks since heat will destroy their composition."
If you need a sub, Splenda supposedly works just as well as sugar even in baking. I haven't tried it myself, though.
Shiva Indis wrote:I've been meaning to try making some of that stuff. I'm not really what you'd call capable in the kitchen, though. (These days I'd say I'm mostly capable of browsing through fanart. :? ) Your potatoes sound amazing, and encouragingly like something I could manage. Perhaps deceptively like something I could manage...? :mrgreen:
Oh sure! Then again I hold the belief that anyone who really wants to can learn to cook. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Monde Luna
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by Monde Luna »

Kizyr that looks pretty darn tasty to me!

Undine
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Undine »

I don't have a camera, but I'm making this tomato and goat cheese tart:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina- ... index.html

except I'm being REALLY lazy and doing one big one.

Imperial Knight
Black Dragon Wizard

Making red beans and rice tonight. It's a simple but healthy dish (though if you're not careful it can end up quite high in sodium).