A couple of Giga sketches.

For people with stuff to show off. Artwork, music you've composed, websites you've designed, etc. Put it here.
Nobiyuki77
Legendary Hero
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

A couple of Giga sketches.

Post by Nobiyuki77 »

Howdy. I've been sketching again, and felt like doing some Giga Girl. She's kinda my default for drawing. One's a comic I hope to finish soon, the other a drawing that took stupidly long (4 hours), and hopefully will color someday.

First, Giga 42

And now, the pic of Giga just playing games at home.

-Nobi

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Re: A couple of Giga sketches.

Post by Sonic# »

The first comic is so true.

I've always enjoyed Giga Girl. Keep it up!
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

Nobiyuki77
Legendary Hero

Post by Nobiyuki77 »

Yeah, so looking at this after critique from my friend, the chair (and thus Giga herself) are completely wrong compared to the room. I'd have to redraw the entire room, and frankly that makes me mad and upset and frustrated at the prospect of having to redraw the entire piece. This is why I'd never make it as a pro. Also, I'm really not feeling like redrawing the entire thing right now. Maybe someday in the future, but right now I'm just so mad at this piece and am using all my will power to not rip the drawing into several pieces in frustration. >_<
-Nobi

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

Whats wrong with the chair and the room? Same kind of chair that my roommate has in his.

Both look good though. Killer nightgown on Giga.

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

Nobiyuki77
Legendary Hero

Post by Nobiyuki77 »

Well, I've spent all day on this, and I haven't even put Giga Girl in the bloody picture. God I draw stupidly slow, even WITH a photo reference! >_<

-Nobi

Nobiyuki77
Legendary Hero

Post by Nobiyuki77 »

Just a brief update, going to hang out with friends soon. Will color when I can.

-Nobi

Nobiyuki77
Legendary Hero

Post by Nobiyuki77 »

I swear I'm still working on this. It's just taking forever! And this is only for the color rough/shadow placement!! >>;; <<;;

-Nobi

Monde Luna
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by Monde Luna »

Loved the comic, it sums up all of my frustration w/ the Wii. Nice drawing btw.

Nobiyuki77
Legendary Hero

Post by Nobiyuki77 »

Yeah, thanks to NoA's stupid policies I've installed homebrew on my Wii and am importing Xenoblade from Europe. At least one Nintendo cares.
-Nobi

Arlia
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Arlia »

Hey, what game is she playing? I can't quite see.

Nobiyuki77
Legendary Hero

Post by Nobiyuki77 »

Arlia wrote:Hey, what game is she playing? I can't quite see.
A PS3. Probably Valkyria Chronicles.
-Nobi

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

It didn't occur to me until recently how much Giga's head (as you're using it in your avatar) reminds me of... Sarah Palin.

Ouch! Don't hurt me! I don't even know WHY that strikes me as a resemblance... my entire knowledge of that person comes from an SF writer's blog, and for some reason I found myself reading the 2008 archives.

On a more relevant topic, Nobi (since I assume you'll see this eventually), are you still working on this? Because I have to say, my neck hurts just seeing it. Her body is facing forward, her monitor, which is presumably displaying her game, is facing perpendicular to her body, and her face is pointing somewhere between the two. I know from sorrowful experience that while you CAN play like that, it hurts like hell after a while. Also, where's the lightsource? I can't make the shadows on her face and from her bottle work.

Nobiyuki77
Legendary Hero

Post by Nobiyuki77 »

Making a little progress with this one... but admittedly I'm having some trouble with textures. This is my first time trying to use them. In particular the carpet texture needs lots of work.
Alunissage wrote:It didn't occur to me until recently how much Giga's head (as you're using it in your avatar) reminds me of... Sarah Palin.

Ouch! Don't hurt me! I don't even know WHY that strikes me as a resemblance... my entire knowledge of that person comes from an SF writer's blog, and for some reason I found myself reading the 2008 archives.

On a more relevant topic, Nobi (since I assume you'll see this eventually), are you still working on this? Because I have to say, my neck hurts just seeing it. Her body is facing forward, her monitor, which is presumably displaying her game, is facing perpendicular to her body, and her face is pointing somewhere between the two. I know from sorrowful experience that while you CAN play like that, it hurts like hell after a while. Also, where's the lightsource? I can't make the shadows on her face and from her bottle work.
:( Sarah Palin? *kills self*

In all seriousness, this is how I play my games, that's why I drew it that way. Granted, I also end up with neck pain from time to time, so you are correct. >>

The lightsource is three fold. The two windows in the back, and the screen she's looking at as well.
-Nobi

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Ah, of course. I should've picked up on that. I think it's mostly that the shading seems to be pretty two-toned at this stage (shadowed or not shadowed, I mean), while with light coming from multiple directions that isn't always enough. I think it's the bottle that's messing me up the most. But I expect that when you finish it it'll be clearer.

Also, I wonder if her mouth is maybe just a little too high on her face? I'm not so good with stylized faces, but it seems like it's too close to her nose and too far from her chin.

Nobiyuki77
Legendary Hero

Post by Nobiyuki77 »

I've been working on this piece for 3 hours today. This is all I've accomplished. It's amazing how much time it takes me to make changes/alterations that can at best be described as "subtle".

This is why I never get anything done, kids! >>; <<;

Fail chair is fail. It needed fixing. Too bad that was another 2 hours... >> <<

-Nobi

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

Hmmmmm. Needs more Mudkip.

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Quick, blunt comments:

- I can't figure out what's up with her right hand. Is that her thumb, her index finger, her thundex digit...?

- Shading on the skirt makes her leg look like a section of hula hoop. Think you're trying too hard with it and could probably lose or at least greatly tone down/blend in the shadows around her knee. Come to think of it, I'm not sure where her other knee is supposed to be; I'd expect it would create some shadows in the skirt fabric too. Seems like that leg (her right) might be a little too straight up and down.

- Shadows under bust that you just added look too close together and too high. I don't think you actually need them (the shading was pretty good already) but if you feel you must have more definition I'd suggest adding it to the left (her right) side, just below where her chest overlaps her arm.

- Lower two triangles look too tall and isoceles. Fix either by shortening them from the bottom a bit, or widening all three triangles - visualize the whole thing as one equilateral triangle, not as three separate triangles. On that note, the points where the lower two triangles touch the top one look very odd, both because of the lighting (if it's supposed to be metallic, remember that they're still adjacent and will have the light hitting them similarly) and the shape, which looks like the base of the top triangle is pulling in.

- Mouth still looks a little too high to me relative to the (very pointy) chin, and possibly the nose is too high also. I think that might be because of the very large and round eyes. I know that's a style thing, so I only offer that as an observation rather than a criticism. Mouth placement was better in your first pencil sketch, though.

- Right foot looks a little too pointed to me (makes me think of Barbie and her horrid molded high-heel-wearing feet). But I freely admit I'm not very good at visualizing feet.

- Hair on right side (her left bangs) looks to be in a different plane from the rest of her face. It's like her hair is facing the viewer while the rest of her head is facing her screen.

As a side note, I know that the shades of color are all about context and that if you felt she needed to be darker then she probably did, but I liked the brighter purple better. But I just like purple in general. (I like the purple, dark green, and gold combination in general.)

Nobiyuki77
Legendary Hero

Post by Nobiyuki77 »

Hm. I guess I have a lot of work to do. Or I could be a chicken and abandon the piece to the void. But then I wouldn't learn anything so eh.

I hate when this happens though, because this is the part where I start to *hate* a piece. I started this piece in August. I'm on pace to finish in 10 years or so. >>
-Nobi

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Aww, I'm sorry. Didn't mean to discourage you from it.

I know what you mean, though. This may seem a silly comparison, but in the past few days I've been working on a sweater I knit most of several years ago (just had half a sleeve and then finishing the edges to go), and as I redid a sleeve edge for the third time I was definitely getting that reminder of why I got utterly sick and frustrated with it to begin with. :P The break was good, though, because I solved the problem I was having with the edges on another sweater in the past year. Too bad I didn't remember that and check how I did it until after I'd done nearly all of the older sweater's edges a different and inferior way and have to rip back and redo what I just did. But still, I'm much, much closer to having a satisfactory FO (finished object in crafter parlance, as opposed to all the UFOs around my house) than I was when I first sent it into hibernation.

So anyway, I feel ya. Take a break if you need to and come back to it -- you may find that something you've learned in the meantime helps solve a problem and help rekindle your enthusiasm for the piece.

Nobiyuki77
Legendary Hero

Post by Nobiyuki77 »

Got a model so I could redraw Giga.

-Nobi