New article by Kotaku featuring Lunar 2: EBC Nostaliga

This board is for general discussion of Lunar. Especially things such as Lunar merchandise, general discussions about the story that span more than one game, etc.
phyco126
Dragonmaster
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

New article by Kotaku featuring Lunar 2: EBC Nostaliga

Post by phyco126 »

My friend sent this to me and I thought you all might enjoy this.

http://www.kotaku.com.au/2014/08/lets-t ... rnal-blue/

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Re: New article by Kotaku featuring Lunar 2: EBC Nostaliga

Post by Sonic# »

I saw this yesterday! I'm glad that it seems to have gotten a very positive reception.
Did you find it annoying that basically all of the main bosses reform themselves and turn into good guys? Did you want them to die?
I honestly hadn't thought of this. I mean, I had noticed that they all seemed to reform themselves even after doing very horrible things (child kidnapping, forced blood rituals) but I never necessarily wanted them to die. What do others think?
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

Imperial Knight
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Imperial Knight »

I don't know that I'd say I wanted them to die so much as I just found a bunch their redemptions really forced and unconvincing. Lunn in particular seemed to be really repugnant and did nothing to earn his redemption beyond Shigema deciding all the villains would reform and be forgiven.

jay_are
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by jay_are »

How is a two-dimensional game from 2000 so much more visually interesting and pleasing than most 3D games that followed it?
No one questions anything like this about any 2D game I've played besides Lunar. I'm sick of it.
People love their FF1 - 6, me included of course, and no one talks about those graphics.
People love their NES and SNES Zeldas and Marios, no one questions it.

There are 2D PS1 games like Alundra, Arc the Lad, Tales of Destiny, Suikoden (and Suikoden1 DOES look seriously dated and grainy in comparison to Lunar)
What about Street Fighters and Mortal Kombat on PS1? Those looked just like their SNES/Arcade counterparts.

Anyways, a 2D game from 2000 is much more visually appealing than 3D games that came out right after because in those days, 3D was still awkward looking or took away development time from other basic important things in other games. It's still even more appealing than even a lot of 3D games of future console games because those were often very dark. Or sometimes in games with pre-rendered backgrounds in the style of FF7, you dont always know where the character is supposed to be able to walk through or get confused trying to understand the place you're in. 3D always ages badly. 2D somehow stays beautiful, even Super Mario Bros 1 looks well graphically designed today.
How good is that goddamned music?
It's goddammned good : D
People often complain about the immaturity and dated pop culture references in some of the translations done by Working Designs back in the day, but I continue to enjoy them. What do you think of the localisation in Eternal Blue?
I loved it. Lunar should always have this.
Only character that isn’t very interesting, incidentally, is the main one.
I can list over 200 games that did the same, or have mute heroes, and people LOVE them, so I dont see the problem.
And Hiro was actually a bit more interesting than the usual mute hero.
Did you find it annoying that basically all of the main bosses reform themselves and turn into good guys? Did you want them to die?
Not exactly annoying to me, nope. I always found it interesting the ways they changed. It would be less interesting to kill them off. Though I understand why some characters did deserve to die, but Lunar is not that kinda game.
Gross. I guess what I’m trying to say is: play Lunar Eternal Blue Complete, because it’s got great fonts.
Gross? Seriously???
Ok, the PS1 game does have better font, but it's not that different. It's ALL CAPITALS on SegaCD, but it's just as readable.
What about those PS2 games with "pretty" fonts that only looked flickery due to the fact that there were no HD TVs, blurry hard to read text? Those came out after, so they should have had better fonts. Nope.
There is nothing to say about the SegaCD's capital only fonts because they look very clear.

Shiva Indis
White Dragon Knight

Post by Shiva Indis »

jay_are wrote:Gross? Seriously???
Maybe all caps would discourage the uninitiated from playing the game at this point, I don't know. I still agree with you that the author's point seems very arbitrary. After all, two can play at Mr. Schreier's game here, like so:

Did you hear the MIDI music in the Playstation version in comparison to any other version, even Sega CD?

Gross. I guess what I’m trying to say is: play Lunar: Eternal Blue, because the music sounds better.

...or any of the dozen other things I think are better on Sega CD. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
「まあいいけど。」

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

The Sega CD music was amazeballs.