What Are You Currently Playing?

Your general gaming entertainment thread.
From Mario to Sonic, Zelda to Final Fantasy. Talk about it here.
Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Re: What Are You Currently Playing?

Post by Sonic# »

I pick Luigi because he's taller and green, two things that play in his favor. (I'm also taller and/or green!)

I already had a Wii U, but this was the first week 1 purchase of a game for the system. Previously I had been subsisting on games already released, Virtual Console titles, or Netflix.

Besides Mario Kart 8, I'm reaching a point in Europa Universalis IV where things are coming to a head. It's past 1750 (start date: 1443, end date: 1821), and there are several major powers: France (PC) and Spain (PC) in the west, Austria in central Europe, the Ottomans in the middle east and half of eastern Europe, Russia (PC) spanning north Asia, and Scandinavia (me) in northeastern Europe and Denmark. As Scandinavia, I have a shot at surviving - I have the largest fleet, a vast colonial empire, an alliance with Russia, and an army that matches either Spain or France. My worry is that France and Spain will ally against me, so I'm playing a game of subtly building up forces - I can technically raise enough troops to match their combined army, but my fleet and diplomatic efforts would need to buy me time to levy troops that could match them, since I can't support that large of a standing army. Secondarily, I am building up fortifications just in case Russia gets a taste for Finland. The tension is growing, and that's great.
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

Kaiya-Sky wrote:
Kizyr wrote:I mean, when was the last time you picked Luigi? Nobody picks Luigi.
My Boyfriend ALWAYS picks Luigi, he has an official Luigi hat he wears and everything, and another friend of mine also always picks Luigi. Luckly they haven't played any Mario games together so their hasn't been a fight over him yet, but it would be kind of interesting to see.
The L is for LOSER. I always pick Wario, 'cause the W is for WINNER.
...Also his kart is heavier and I like ramming people off the edges of the track.
......I also imitate his voice when playing.
.........yeah the last 3-4 MarioKarts have all been rather good games all-around. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Enclave
Iluk Crackpot

Post by Enclave »

I'm going to do it; I'm finally going to complete EBC. I did everything except actually get to the Star Dragon's tower the last time I played it.

jay_are
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by jay_are »

Enclave wrote:I'm going to do it; I'm finally going to complete EBC. I did everything except actually get to the Star Dragon's tower the last time I played it.
You do realize there are no more videogames to play after that, right?
Ok maybe there are some games but still. Or wait. WHAT HAVE you been playing that took you that long?

Zero
Student of Vane

Post by Zero »

I've been running back through SSSC. I guess I do that every couple of years or so now. Also started The Last of Us on PS4.
I'll take a potato chip... and EAT IT!

Shinto-Cetra
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Shinto-Cetra »

I recently beat Shining: The Holy Ark on my Saturn. Good game, although despite great dungeon crawling gameplay, great presentation, and a good (but cliche) story, the characters were severely underdeveloped (it felt like a whole party of silent protagonists.) Now on to Shining Force III (Saturn-all 3 of scenarios), Suikoden V (PS2-if I can ever figure out the rune system) and Treasure of the Rudras (Japanese SNES.) And that's not counting replays, yeah I have a lot of games to play...

Kaiya-Sky
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Kaiya-Sky »

I want to play to many games at once! I was going through the FFX HD version, but went of track when i got a bunch of books from a friends, bought a few games on steam that i want to play but havent gotten around to yet, Then another awesome friend got me FFXIV for my birthday with a subscription, so that takes up all my free time for now.

Nobiyuki77
Legendary Hero

Post by Nobiyuki77 »

Beat Dark Souls finally.

Playing Demon's Souls now. orz
-Nobi

Dark_Fairy
White Dragon Knight

Post by Dark_Fairy »

Pretty much all of my free time as of late has been playing Tales of Xillia 2. I like it so much better than the first game. :3

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

I started Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky. The immediate reason I bought the game is a long story, but I realized that I like how the game sounds from reviews and conversations, and I really want to support games like it. I am now enthralled in the first chapter. It has plenty of NPC dialogue and a rich battle system. Its emphasis on position certainly reminds me of Lunar, while its use of arts and a turn gauge seem like a mix of Radiant Historia and Grandia. Most of all, it's just done very well.
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

Nonononoki
Iluk Crackpot

Post by Nonononoki »

Just finished all Golden Sun games... again... :)

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

I've been playing Okami the last few days. It's really amazing.

On an FB post, I was already commenting about the art style:
"Oh wow. The art style and visuals in Okami are just so incredible it's leaving me speechless. Textured paper backgrounds, embroidered scroll edges, bold brush strokes and vibrant colors mixed with minimalist designs, constant interplay between light and dark... and that was just the first 2 hours of play."

Now that I'm further into the game, it still really holds up and keeps getting better. The gameplay is fun, and the world design makes it very deep and engaging. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Dark_Fairy
White Dragon Knight

Post by Dark_Fairy »

Decided to finally go through and play the original Final Fantasy again since I have never beaten it. It took me a while to decide which version I was going to play, but in the end I decided I wanted to pull out my NES and play the original cart. :P

Getting ready to go to the Ice Cave! :D

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Kizyr wrote:I've been playing Okami the last few days. It's really amazing.

On an FB post, I was already commenting about the art style:
"Oh wow. The art style and visuals in Okami are just so incredible it's leaving me speechless. Textured paper backgrounds, embroidered scroll edges, bold brush strokes and vibrant colors mixed with minimalist designs, constant interplay between light and dark... and that was just the first 2 hours of play."

Now that I'm further into the game, it still really holds up and keeps getting better. The gameplay is fun, and the world design makes it very deep and engaging. KF
Okami is possibly my favorite game. I mean, I have a bunch of favorite games, but it just reaches some sort of pinnacle for me. Someone else called it "the best Zelda game I ever played" and that's not a bad summation -- Zelda play style, awesome music and visuals, a story that's simple but rich, humor and pathos both, plus snatches of Japanese mythology that nevertheless don't impede enjoyment if you're not familiar with them. (I only knew of one or two myself.) And my favorite protagonist -- a nonhuman female (the manual claims she's genderless, which is bizarrely wrong even if several of the NPCs don't get it right) who both has distinctly wolfy/doggy characteristics yet clearly knows more than the player does...she's just not telling.

This is all relatively fresh in my mind because a few months ago I decided to replay Okamiden, the DS sequel. It actually does a pretty good job of scaling down the world for the DS, all things considered, and generally ties in to the story of the first game fairly well. There's a point where the connection gets very specific, so I stopped playing it and played Okami up to that point to refresh my memory (specifically, a character says, basically, "What idiot would do a thing like that?" and I had to play to find out who the idiot in question was).

This is reminding me that I need to get back to both of these games. I stopped to play something else -- Professor Layton vs Phoenix Wright, I think, which I won't get into here as it'd be hard not to spoil stuff -- and then replayed Zelda: A Link Between Worlds because my sister had asked my help on how to get something in it and I had to start a new game to tell her. Naturally, I continued that game, in Hero Mode this time, and am now just about at the end.

But yeah, I'm glad you're enjoying Okami, Kiz. Though I'd be astonished if you weren't.

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Post by Werefrog »

I've always wanted to play Okami.

brit
White Dragon Knight

Post by brit »

Fantasy Life.

3DS | 3652-1775-0152
PSN | Psychobrit08
SWITCH | SW-1497-7723-9594

** please let me know if you add me **

Angelalex242
Legendary Hero

Post by Angelalex242 »

No Final Fantasy Lightning Returns players out there? Xbox 360 side?
Don't blame me, Lucia promised me lots of snuggles and cuddles if I would be her PR guy.

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

We have Lightning Returns but for some reason have only played about half an hour of it. Well, maybe an hour. We'll get back to it sometime.

Spouse has been playing Hyrule Warriors (I'm not sure if I'll be able to take the motion) lately, and I expect to start Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze soon. We've also been playing Pier Solar though probably aren't that far in.

Shinto-Cetra
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Shinto-Cetra »

Dragon Force (Sega Saturn game, NOT the band), in which I'm currently playing as Queen Teiris of the Elves. Also Replaying Chrono Trigger (PSone classic) and The Journeyman Project 3: Legacy of Time (Mac OSX port.)

Zero
Student of Vane

Post by Zero »

Just started Tales of Hearts R. Haven't played enough yet to offer a decent impression but I'm enjoying it so far!
I'll take a potato chip... and EAT IT!