What Are You Currently Playing?

Your general gaming entertainment thread.
From Mario to Sonic, Zelda to Final Fantasy. Talk about it here.
Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Re: What Are You Currently Playing?

Post by Kizyr »

Oh hey, I wasn't checking this board while I was really wrapped up in the best game of 2019.
cj6Pb6L.png
cj6Pb6L.png (11.85 KiB) Viewed 35449 times
Now I'm playing a lot of Mario Maker 2.
~Kizyr (they|them)

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

I, too, have rampaged a village.

Right now I've mostly been playing Dragon Quest XI S. Even though I already played it last year, I find the game engrossing to replay. The faster battle speed option helps reduce the repetition. Meanwhile, they have added a few character-focused episodes to this version. Also, Tockington is really cute.
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

ShugoHanasaki
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by ShugoHanasaki »

Very much enjoying Legend of Heroes - Trails of Cold Steel Part 3
Lotus Moon Productions
- Podcasts on Independent Music Artists & Wrestling -

https://soundcloud.com/lotusmoonproductions

MaroonChan
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by MaroonChan »

Steven Universe: Unleash the Light

DragonmasterDan
Lunar Legend

Post by DragonmasterDan »

Sonic# wrote:I, too, have rampaged a village.

Right now I've mostly been playing Dragon Quest XI S. Even though I already played it last year, 68I find the game engrossing to replay. The faster battle speed option helps reduce the repetition. Meanwhile, they have added a few character-focused episodes to this version. Also, Tockington is really cute.
I picked it up as Dragon Quest is my favorite actively updated game series, but haven't been compelled to replay it after finishing the PS4 version last year. With that said I did play through the switch port of Dragon Quest 3 a while back and enjoyed it quite a bit as I hadn't played all the way through it since Dragon Warrior 3 on NES 27 or so years ago.

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

Sayonara Wild Hearts... Just picked this up a couple days ago.

Sayonara Wild Hearts is such a beautiful game. It's not quite an arcade game, not quite a rhythm game, but you play through a pop/synthwave soundtrack through cyberpunk-style tracks, everything fitted perfectly to the music, weaving in zodiac and tarot and anime references, around a theme of heartbreak and reconciliation. It's fast-paced but forgiving (unless you want to gold-rank everything then it's really tough), and short but very much worth it.

If the trailer looks like this is your jam then I really recommend getting it (available on Steam, Switch, and a few other platforms). I think it took about 2 minutes of watching the game for me to decide to buy it -- I mean the album alone is worth that much, and playing through it is even better. KF

http://simogo.com/work/sayonara-wild-hearts/

~Kizyr (they|them)

ShugoHanasaki
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by ShugoHanasaki »

Finished beating Legend of Heroes: TOCS 3 - AMAZING GAME! Can't wait until part 4...Hoping it comes to the West

Playing it on NewGame+

Look for DogboyShugo on PS4, PM me to let me know who you are ^^
Lotus Moon Productions

VidKid369
Red Dragon Priest

Post by VidKid369 »

Hey fellow Lunar fans! Sorry I haven't posted in about 8 months... I'm still doing the same old thing... dieting and exercise. Just recently got back from the doctors and they said my depression is all gone. I've been reluctant to play RPGs because I was trying to be more active in an effort to be rid of it and thank God she said it's gone my last appointment. But anyways. That's just whatever.

Do you guys ever take breaks from playing RPGs? I'm a total "just RPGs" type of a gamer and ever since I was younger like 8 or so I would only buy RPGs because I'd think to the future "I'd want something I can play and re-play until I get older"... So it's mainly RPGs in my collection. I like to re-play RPGs I've enjoyed. I do it all the time. Some games I've re-played up to 4 times. I don't like to spend too much on games so I'd buy them and sometimes re-play the ones I've enjoyed the most. I'm like kind of horrible at actually beating the games like I'd be 50 hours into an RPG and think "I'm so tired..." or "I'm so bored of this" and I'll just stop. Sometimes I stop at the final dungeon just because "I don't want the adventure to end"... I dunno I was like OCD and weird when I was a kid growing up.

Just recently while I was going through my depression I kept on thinking "Ugh... I'm getting older now" or "I'm getting too old to play video games"... But, thank God all those thoughts just went away and I'm just happy again now. :)

Just today I was outside just sitting around and I finally got that "itch" to play an RPG again. Do you guys ever get those when you go on breaks? Anyway. Today I popped in LUNAR 2: Eternal Blue Complete and I just finished up to where to reach the Althena's Statue in the Dragon Ruins or whatever they're called. Anyway. I feel a ton better when I play RPGs. It was weird that I went through that little mental phase but I feel like everything's back to normal now. I've gotten so bored of just watching DVD's and seeing like, humans on my TV over and over LOL I wanted to see sprites and RPG characters' faces again. Sorry for the long post. I'll try to post more often on how things are going. Hope you all had a great holidays!!

- John

ShugoHanasaki
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by ShugoHanasaki »

I don't take breaks from RPGs. I know what I like and that's what I stick to, lol (^^') I've tried some other types, but RPG's are the most interesting to me. I do like certain fighting games too. DMC as well
Lotus Moon Productions

ShugoHanasaki
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by ShugoHanasaki »

VidKid369 wrote:
Just today I was outside just sitting around and I finally got that "itch" to play an RPG again. Do you guys ever get those when you go on breaks? Anyway. Today I popped in LUNAR 2: Eternal Blue Complete and I just finished up to where to reach the Althena's Statue in the Dragon Ruins or whatever they're called. Anyway. I feel a ton better when I play RPGs. It was weird that I went through that little mental phase but I feel like everything's back to normal now. I've gotten so bored of just watching DVD's and seeing like, humans on my TV over and over LOL I wanted to see sprites and RPG characters' faces again. Sorry for the long post. I'll try to post more often on how things are going. Hope you all had a great holidays!!

- John
This is a beautiful message
Lotus Moon Productions

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

I've been playing Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age. My level is in the upper 40s and I'm on my way to Archades. With the 4x speed settings in this version, I've had time to do many of the side hunts and explore to my heart's content. (I'd played the original, but at the time I was dating someone who would do all the exploring and hunting during the week so we would play the story bits together on the weekend.)
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

VidKid369
Red Dragon Priest

Post by VidKid369 »

Lol, I'm glad you enjoyed what I posted. ^_^

Anyway, I just finished LUNAR 2: Eternal Blue Complete. It took me about 49 some hours to beat everything through to the Epilogue and all that. It was like, interesting because I hadn't played the game in years. I think this's my third playthrough. Hmm, I think I enjoyed Silver Star Story Complete more... Eternal Blue Complete seemed much harder, and like, longer. But I think they're about the same length. I dunno. I thought Eternal Blue Complete had much tougher enemies or at least more annoying enemies towards the end. I don't know how many times I've used Poe Sword and Blue Dragon Palm just like, over and over again. I went through so many Star Lights trying to finish the Epilogue dungeons, and if I didn't fight the Chiros who knows how I would've gotten the silver to do so. The ending theme I think is my favorite though even over the songs in the first game so that's a plus.

I was outside just sitting and I was feeling like, super sad I had one more dungeon to beat and then the game would be over. I don't know what to play next! I'm playing on my PlayStation 2 and I found an old Arc the Lad III save where I'm like sixty hours in so I might try to finish that but since I'm on a Working Designs kick, I kinda wanna play Albert Oddyssey. I played it a little bit when I got it like 6 years ago but I never finished. I've been dying to play some Final Fantasy IX though since I've never finished it. What to do, what to do? I'm like dreading wanting to play Alundra since I suck at games like that. I like turn-based RPGs, lol, but since it's Working Designs it's on my mind. And, I'm like dreading wanting to play Growlanser since I dunno I just am, lol.

VidKid369
Red Dragon Priest

Post by VidKid369 »

Lol, well, I booted up like a six-year old save of Arc the Lad III I had found on my memory card and I had about 8 more jobs to complete and I did that in the last 2 days and I just finished fighting the Sky Castle a few hours ago so I can finally say after 20 years that I've actually finished Arc the Lad Collection!! Oh my God, I thought I'd never be able to do so. I dunno, I felt intimidated by the compilation when I first got it and I thought I'd never be able to beat it. And, this's my first time I've booted up an old save of mine, having forgotten everything that went on and actually went on to beat the rest of the game! Cool... Well, I thought Arc the Lad III was a little like weird but it's Working Designs so it's cool. It's just cool they brought over cool Japanese RPG's for us to play so I'm glad for that...

I dunno what to play next though. I'm kinda thinking about setting up my Sega Saturn to see if the lithium battery still works on it so I can play Albert Odyssey. I read some random reviews of it and boy are game reviewers kinda harsh... saying the game was like, lifeless and uneventful or whatever but it's from one of my favorite companies so that doesn't deter me from playing. I really want to play Final Fantasy IX, though...

ShugoHanasaki
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by ShugoHanasaki »

Working on collecting trophies in LOH - Trails of Cold Steel Part 3
Lotus Moon Productions

WD RPG WD
White Dragon Knight

Post by WD RPG WD »

Just started Silent Hill 1. I'm going to give this series a try. It always seems to be on peoples lists of great series.

After 30 minutes, I love it.

Shinto-Cetra
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Shinto-Cetra »

Mostly Ace Attorney 3.Biggest revelation so far: There's another judge!!! Same great and wacky humor/character design/dialogue as the first two.

Also waiting for the Langrisser I & II re-release (probably on Steam.). Classic Urushihara art is confirmed as an option. Played a bit of the demo on JP PSN, it was good so far.

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Spouse and I have been playing Stardew Valley (he plays, I knit). Just started year 3.

I've been using my old iPhone 4 as an iPod, since I now have a car without a CD player and I'd put at least fifty CDs of game soundtracks on that phone back when I could take public transport. The interface continues to annoy me, so I've just had it on shuffle, which can make for some surreal shifts in tone. One soundtrack I'd almost forgotten I had was Albert Odyssey, and that reminded me that I never did finish that game, though I got to the final area. I have a bad habit of that. Anyway, while it doesn't feel as polished as the Lunar games, I do recall enjoying it in general. Should note, if VidKid369 happens to see this, that unlike Lunar the NPCs of areas you've already been do rarely update their dialogue. I think in all the times I backtracked to see if there was new text, I found ONE thing that was kind of a secret? I don't even remember what it was now, but I did feel that the world felt a little empty compared to what could have been. Like, very near the end of the game you gain transport that makes getting all around much easier and there's nothing to find in all those areas you couldn't reach before (which is a shame, because steering that transportation is fun). I can definitely see people used to Final Fantasy finding that a letdown.

The other thing I remember about it is that it can be a little buggy. The full party walks in a formation that's four people in a 2x2 square behind the leader, rather than a conga line, and more than once one of those columns of people in back got stuck in a wall in a way that couldn't be fixed and I had to reset the game. So, uh, save early and often. (Also, in the first area or two of the game, it takes forever to land a hit, but that does improve. Funny how I remember these things and absolutely zero of the story.)

Oh, the other thing I've been playing is Baba is You, to relax when I'm feeling brain-dead. Spouse was kind of incredulous when I said that, and if you've played it you know why. ^_^ This is seriously one of the only games I've ever sought hints for, because the game's way of introducing some game mechanics is nonexistent. I don't like hand-holding, especially in puzzle games, but some of these things I don't feel bad at all for missing, because the "new" mechanic was so obscure. It's like doing a set of chess puzzles and being expected to intuit how a knight moves.

VidKid369
Red Dragon Priest

Post by VidKid369 »

I was gonna post an update a few weeks ago but no one had posted yet after me so I decided not to triple post...

I did finish Albert Odyssey: Legend of Eldean. I thought it was really fun. I liked the little timestamp on the save screen but I wish they'd tell you how many hours you've been playing. I think it doesn't count the hours on a few SNES RPG's, if I recall. Alunissage, I did read your post... In my game, I did notice that the NPC's never did update what they were saying. Sometimes one person would have a different line of text but that was rare. I'm used to playing LUNAR, where if you backtracked into the towns again, most of the NPC's would say something different. But, I did enjoy the entire game overall. I remember a few of what the NPC's have said that've stuck to me. I liked the characters. Am I the only one who noticed that Eka's chest moves during her victory pose? LOL. Sorry, I had to comment on that. I've never, like, seen that before in an RPG. And, oh my God, I kept on calling Eka "Lea" in my head, all. the. time. What's wrong with me? I guess Eka is a rather unique name. Overall, Gryzz and Kia were two of my favorites, the former for his Healing Breath... for free! No MP required. The latter because she learns some great spells towards the end that helped me pick off entire groups of enemies instead of just hitting action to attack once for every character. I still would do that to save on healing items especially in the beginning of the game. I too noticed that the characters would randomly start to walk on their own towards the side of the screen when you're in a town but they never got stuck so I guess I got lucky. I just wonder how long the game took me. It seemed like a 30'ish hour-long game to me, though.

Also, after I beat Albert, I started up Final Fantasy IX. I just beat it earlier this evening. I did everything on my own until the fourth disc where I'd look random stuff up on GameFAQs 'cuz I'd be bored in the morning. (Waking up at 4:30 A.M. now to exercise!) I beat the hardest optional boss. I grinded for three days straight and I got Zidane and Quina up to the early 80's and he still wiped my party out on the first move with a Meteor. Ouch. I had to try about 3 times before I finally beat him. The final dungeon and the final bosses were, um, kinda easy after that. The only thing I missed was Mr. Morrid's coffee sidequest. I hadn't explored outside of Treno when it's just Zidane on Disc 3. Oh, well. Next time! The chocograph sidequest, while fun, was sooo hard for me to do! I thought it'd be cake, but I had to look up where the mountain cracks were and the dive spots when you have to use Dead Peppers. Took me a while to find the Chocobo's Air Garden, too! Overall, though, I liked it... I seriously made myself believe one of the characters was gonna die in the ending, lol. I've been reading a few of the older posts and a lot of you liked the game. I thought it was just ok overall. I think I liked Final Fantasy VIII more. And, I was thinking to myself sitting outside once and I was like, "I don't remember Final Fantasy VII at all."

I was invited to a Facebook group recently and everyone there egged me on to play Final Fantasy XII for PS2 next, so I might start that up tomorrow! I have the strategy guide for it, too so I'm really excited to play it! All I remember about it was that it took me 2 hours to talk to everyone in the first city, so I put the game aside, lmao. Hope you all enjoy the update!

VidKid369
Red Dragon Priest

Post by VidKid369 »

(Sorry for the double post. I was hoping someone would've posted after me.)

Hey, everyone! John here. I hope you all don't mind a little update in my gaming life, lol. Sooo, ...I just beat Final Fantasy XII Collector's Edition for PS2 last night!!! Pretty excited about it. Another notch in my backlog, yippee!! I thought the game was just, ok overall. It was pretty ok for a Final Fantasy game. I was into it at first, then got used to it, then by the 85th hour I was just like, wanting to end it all. I did not even do all the Monster Hunts, or finish finding all the Espers or anything else like that. I think I enjoyed playing FFIX more, hahaha, lol. The characters were just ok I only really liked Vaan's voice and Fran in general. Everyone else was kind of ok... Ashe was a mental case though, lmao. I don't really have much of an opinion on it all too much and it didn't leave much of an impression on me but I am glad I beat it. I'm watching the Bonus Disc that came with the game and it's full of directors' interviews and a neat video on the "History of Final Fantasy." I'm gonna finish watching it up in a bit.

But! I'm excited to tell y'all what I'm playing next: Dragon Warrior VII!!! For PS1. I have the strategy guide for it too. I was thinking long and hard about which game to play next while I was playing FFXII and I decided on this game. I dunno why!!! I wanted something old-school, and classic. PS2 RPGs are a little too flashy for me still. I want jagged polygons and just text, ha. And, it's been sitting in my collection for a really long time. I've only played a few hours of it and don't remember too much. I read some articles that say it's pretty bad... But, it's the first Dragon Quest game I bought and I really want to get into the series. I played Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King on PS2 like, twice and always stopped after 60 or so hours. Dunno why...?? Anyway hope you all enjoy the update! :)

ShugoHanasaki
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by ShugoHanasaki »

LOH - Trails Part 3 was amazing! I loved it and i collected the majority of trophies. I CANNOT WAIT UNTIL PART 4. I highly recommend the series to any JRPG lover.
Lotus Moon Productions