Lunar 2 Publisher's Prototype Box | Working Designs (1998)

This board is for general discussion of Lunar. Especially things such as Lunar merchandise, general discussions about the story that span more than one game, etc.
IMJ
Saith Pirate
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Lunar 2 Publisher's Prototype Box | Working Designs (1998)

Post by IMJ »

So some years back now I worked in industry sales and marketing back in the late 90's for a stint after being absorbed into things through the now defunct FuncoLand stores. Along the way I acquired a lot of really cool pieces - posters, games, demos, shirts, etc.

By far the nicest piece I ever got my hands on was the Developer's Prototype box for Lunar 2. There may have only been a handful of these produced, and over the years I never seen anyone else with one. This was basically a prototype meant for marketing purposes towards Lunar 2 - used for photographs or a electronics show display. As far as Working Designs pieces go, I can only liken this item to the Assassin's Case edition of Elemental Gearbolt in terms of scarcity and grail pieces for collectors. I wanted to share it with you guy here now that I have to let it go after 20 years or so of being a centerpiece in my Lunar Collection along with iterations of the games, my Ghaleon puppet and a few other pieces of printed media.

The Prototype:

Comparison of the final retail release (top) to the prototype (bottom)

Note several differences - color variance on the "Lunar" foil, no rating yet established, empty rating on the back and most obviously completely different artwork on the back and sides.

This is legitimately a one-of-a-kind piece for Lunar and Working Designs collectors and I wasn't going to list it at auction without some of you guys being made aware of it as well. For anyone interested, I've included the link to the listing just below. Note that the listing ends this weekend on 01/12/20. Chances are whoever wins the auction will keep this in their collection for some time, and it's likely not to be offered again anytime soon.

Wave 1 Collectibles Lunar Specific Auctions Link

Current Collector's-Grade Listings Here

Thank you to the mods and the crew I met on Discord for their great attitudes, knowledge and for approving my registration here quickly for this community notice.

IMJ
Saith Pirate

Re: Lunar 2 Publisher's Prototype Box | Working Designs (1998)

Post by IMJ »

For anyone interested, the sale of these pieces, including the Prototype box ends tonight. Thank you for any interest and thank you for looking! :)

Go ahead and click on the picture for a quick link to these pieces!

Dark_Fairy
White Dragon Knight

Post by Dark_Fairy »

Wow, that is really cool! Hope that whoever ended up buying from you takes good care of it. :)

AkagisWhiteComet
Red Dragon Priest

Post by AkagisWhiteComet »

Aww man. I missed this post. Yeah ^^^ hopefully whomever won the auction realized what they got hold of.

The artwork used on the back of the original box is interesting. That's the CD art used on the North American LUNAR EB Sega CD disk. Unlike TSS, EB didn't receive any variants on the disk artwork from WD. I'm wondering if one of the reasons the artwork was changed was due to that being Sega CD era artwork and keeping in-line with the more recent (for the time) artwork created for the EB remake.

The smaller box size is interesting considering the inside flap shows the 'omake' items. I'm guessing WD hadn't yet figured out how large the retail box was actually going to need to be and just re-used SSSC's box size.

ShugoHanasaki
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by ShugoHanasaki »

Thanks for sharing this!!!
Lotus Moon Productions
- Podcasts on Independent Music Artists & Wrestling -

https://soundcloud.com/lotusmoonproductions