Vanguard Bandits

Your general gaming entertainment thread.
From Mario to Sonic, Zelda to Final Fantasy. Talk about it here.
abercius
Meryod Yokel
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Vanguard Bandits

Post by abercius »

Say, has anyone here played Vanguard Bandits? Working Designs released it in between the Lunar games, and I personally think it's a overlooked jem. There's three totally different story lines that you can take, and the translation is done well. ( I suppose that's a given for Working Designs)
The music is fairly good, but it's quite impossible to find unfotunately...

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

It's hard to find? I'd no idea. I only played through the main branch, but I found it really addictive while I was playing it. Once I stopped I didn't feel really impelled to start up again, but I do have a save still from just after starting on the Empire (?) branch so maybe some year I'll get back to it. I actually unbent enough to use a strategy guide for that game, though usually it was that I'd read what I should've done after I did the battle and then consider if I wanted to redo it.

Just curious, did you keep the battle animations on when you played? I rather liked having them on (for some reason the Kick command just amused me), but the WD programmer who worked on it thought I was crazy; they were really annoying to him.

abercius
Meryod Yokel

Post by abercius »

The very first time I played through the game I kept the battle animations on, but I just bought it about a month ago, and I played through without them on. Trouble was, the system file for unlocking the Ruin branch seemed to get messed up when I kept the animations off. The only way I was able to get the Ruin branch was to beat the Kingdom branch, watch the credits roll, then played the mission before you can switch off to it. If you're going to play it again, I reccomend the Ruin Branch, the story gets turned on its head.

One certainly saves a lot of time with having the animations off, but I think from now on I'm just going to leave them on to be safe. I suppose they are a tad repetitive, I just didn't realise that you actually had to "see" the ATAC in the battle animation for it to count towards your system file total.