Your chance to rename Lunar: Genesis!

For discussion of Lunar: Dragon Song (Lunar: Genesis), the only Lunar game on the DS
GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Your chance to rename Lunar: Genesis!

Post by GhaleonOne »

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Discuss? Okay...

Dragon Song is the title of a book by Anne McCaffrey, though I don't know if that would make a difference. It and Dark Skies also have the initials DS, which might be good for identifying it by platform as well. (even if it also suggests Dark Scimitar...)

Scarlet Sun is pretty good but I don't like the idea of having another Lunar SS making identification difficult. We'd probably call it Lunar DS anyway. It does keep the color theme.

The other two are OK, but Dawn doesn't do as much for me, and Shattered seems overly dramatic for Lunar (and a bit trite). Ashen sort of keeps the color theme but suggests fires and volcanoes and other natural trauma to me which may not fit the story. It'd make more sense if all the Lunar dragons breathed fire, but only the Red one does.

Will you warn us when the poll is about to go down? I tend to dither. :P

(btw, typo in the update: "polling with end on Monday")

punkabof1
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by punkabof1 »

Edit_

I like Ashen Dawn

Ashen-
Consisting of ashes.
Resembling ashes, especially in color; very pale: A face ashen with grief.

Dawn-
A first appearance

I love this Power :twisted:
Last edited by punkabof1 on Thu Apr 28, 2005 9:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

Huh? punk, it's not a poll to let you give names. It's a poll on the frontpage that lets you choose the pre-existing names that are chosen by UbiSoft. Sorry man. :P
-G1

Erroneous
Legendary Hero

Post by Erroneous »

Dark Skies, sounds alot like Skies of Arcadia to me, though I like the title.
---
LunarNET Discord: https://discord.gg/yzXgsSa

Jenner
Dragonmaster

Post by Jenner »

people can vote more then once... >.>
Uhoh?
The Infamous Jenner!
Maker of Lists.
RIP Coley...
still adore you Kiz.

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

No they can't. I moved the results over to a more stable poll. I now have IP information for everyone who votes, so there won't be any stuffing of the ballots going on.

MiaOne
Dragonmaster

Post by MiaOne »

I personally like Dragon Song. It doesn't keep the color theme, but it has to do with two things that are really important in Lunar dragons and song. All the other titles seem a little too dark for me.

YoungDyne
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by YoungDyne »

I like the title Scarlet Sun the best, simply because it stays in theme (or, "color," as some others were saying?) with the other Lunar's...you know, Eternal Blue, Silver Star.

1000 years before TSS, sounds interesting. Could it be about coming to Lunar? I don't know when that was supposed to happen in the lunar timeline, can't remember anyone saying anything specific about it. I'm willing to bet it'll have a dragon master, but will the main character be one?

And let it be known that if this new Lunar game isn't titled Scarlet Sun, I'm stealing it for my manga XD ...which is coming along nicely, if onyone cares ^^;;

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

Scarlet Sun doesn't come off as well in Japanese as the other titles, except Shattered Dawn. But, that's just my opinion. It's not a huge deal. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Wolfman_Samurai
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Wolfman_Samurai »

I voted for Scarlet Sun. It's traditonal and traditons should stay that way when dealing with history. And we are dealing with history here folks!

Rune Lai
Bromide Hunter

Post by Rune Lai »

I'd forgotten that Anne McCaffrey already has a book with a similar name, but I think it's Dragonsong (one word) rather than two.

I think as long as only the subtitle of the game overlaps a published book title, Ubisoft will be all right. Anne McCaffrey also wrote a book called Dinosaur Planet (it's sitting on my bookshelf right now) and Nintendo released Star Fox Adventures: Dinosaur Planet with no lawsuit that I know of.

Still, I think Dragon Song is inappropriate given that the dragons of Lunar are not known for their singing and the title makes it sound like they're singing and/or there's a song that belongs to them. It's not a bad title (Anne McCaffrey already used it), but it just doesn't feel Lunarish to me given what we know of Lunar dragons.

Scarlet Sun makes me think of the Dark Sun line of RPG products from TSR, which means hot and beaten down; a desert world. Which isn't very Lunar. It also makes me think of Golden Sun, which is a different series of video game.

Color-wise I like Ashen Dawn, but only for the color. Having the word "ash" in there makes it sound like Lunar's been burnt.

Shattered Dawn I dislike for not having a color, but otherwise I like the dawn part of it. Given the time period it's a nice selection.

And Dark Skies just doesn't do anything for me either way. I don't dislike it, but I don't like it either.

I probably won't vote for a while just so I can make up my mind.
You have taught us the pity to live.
But I will not forget the beauty of life itself.
--Hyuui Riin, Phantasy Star II
-- http://www.sabrecat.net/ --

Wolfman_Samurai
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Wolfman_Samurai »

Anne McCaffrey also wrote a book called Dinosaur Planet

I thought it was Ray Bradbury?

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Nope.

I'm not very familiar with Bradbury's work, but I've read McCaffrey's Dinosaur Planet several times. ^_^

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

the Nintendo DS will be a prequel taking place 1000 years prior

... is it me or do I smell a trend with 1000 years?

Edit: By the way, it would help if we knew what the game was even going to be about... is it going to be about dragons? Or Nash's great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great Uncle's best friend's sister's cousin's babie's Grand Father trying to take over lunar with flowers?

Althena's_Courtier
Student of Vane

Post by Althena's_Courtier »

hmmm. this is wierd...

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

phyco126 wrote:Edit: By the way, it would help if we knew what the game was even going to be about... is it going to be about dragons? Or Nash's great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great Uncle's best friend's sister's cousin's babie's Grand Father trying to take over lunar with flowers?

Have some patience... KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

MiaOne
Dragonmaster

Post by MiaOne »

YoungDyne wrote:1000 years before TSS, sounds interesting. Could it be about coming to Lunar? I don't know when that was supposed to happen in the lunar timeline, can't remember anyone saying anything specific about it. I'm willing to bet it'll have a dragon master, but will the main character be one?

I think that 1000 years before TSS/SSSC is the time peroid that in TSS they said that Vane rose...but I think people had been living on Lunar for QUITE some time. That would mean that people had only lived on Lunar for 3000 years at the time of EB/EBC which just seems wrong to me.

Oh, and I think I've mentioned this before, but I've read a book or two where it talks about "dragon song" being the cry dragons make upon wakening...shaking the whole foundations of the planet, etc, etc. I know it hasn't been mentioned in Lunar before, but it could end up fitting.

YoungDyne
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by YoungDyne »

I think that 1000 years before TSS/SSSC is the time peroid that in TSS they said that Vane rose...but I think people had been living on Lunar for QUITE some time. That would mean that people had only lived on Lunar for 3000 years at the time of EB/EBC which just seems wrong to me.

The whole Vheen (I like to spell it the japanese way better XD) rising thing...that's something I'd really like to see. Hmmm, but I wonder..."Rub the touch screen up and down to help raise Vane!"...a mini game lunar? ^^;; How old is ghaleon, exactly? Maybe everyone likes him too much, and so they'll put him in every lunar game in some way. I mean, that magic race...they live for a long, long time, don't they? In "Lunar: Vheen Hikuusen Monogatari" Ghaleon witnessed the deaths of a lot of Ausa's.

3000 years doesn't seem that short of a time for me. Our records of human civilization only goes back a few thousand year, right? (I'm not talking neanderthal, just us as we are today) I know it's only a game, but really, it doesn't seem that short to me.

keele864
Red Dragon Priest

Post by keele864 »

I voted for Ashen Dawn. I almost chosefor Shattered Dawn, but it sounded too much like Contra: Shattered Soldier to me. Ashen Dawn sounds a bit post-apocalyptic, but that may be appropriate for the game and the name does sound cool. It also seemed to be the most original-sounding title, and I like original titles. All the other choices felt a bit derivative.

By the way, congrats to L-Net on getting this promotion. It's good to see Ubi give you guys this recognition. And (of course) it's great that the fans have a choice.