New glitch - Legend of the Autoscroll glitch - a bit more in-depth

For discussion of Lunar: The Silver Star, the original game for the Sega CD
RedHairGreenEyes
Pao Hunter
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

New glitch - Legend of the Autoscroll glitch - a bit more in-depth

Post by RedHairGreenEyes »

So for those who have never encountered the autoscroll glitch (I'm assuming it's just me because I'm pushing the game to the limits) here is my dumb hype video I made of the discovery: https://youtu.be/o0lGxjbBWxQ

I've done about 100 more runs since finding the glitch and I've come to understand it a bit better lately.

So, the glitch is not as straight forward as I assumed it was upon discovery. I thought it triggered via:
Moving towards and interacting with any shopkeeper frame-perfectly (IE: selecting confirm as soon as you can (I think it's 6 tiles away).

What it actually seems to be from testing:
Moving towards and interacting with any shopkeeper frame-perfectly ONLY in the case where the shopkeeper is MOVING. Meaning a stationary shopkeeper will never trigger the glitch even with a frame-perfect interaction.

Sooooo...for those speedrunners out there, seems we're safe as long as we wait for the moving shopkeeps to take their first step before rushing up to them.

For anyone interested in the glitch I suggest trying to rush the burg item shop shopkeep and hitting the confirm key 5-6 tiles away (I've had the glitch trigger on the meribia item shopkeeper as well). This should trigger a state where every single menu will autoscroll in a direction (can't tell which yet or why yet).

Can't imagine it's actually useful, but consider it documented.

RedHairGreenEyes
Pao Hunter

Re: New glitch - Legend of the Autoscroll glitch - a bit more in-depth

Also, I just improved the world record. Now it's 2:57, but don't get hype yet. Sub 2:55 is gonna be cake and should come soon.

https://www.speedrun.com/lunar_the_silv ... n/zq19jr8m

RedHairGreenEyes
Pao Hunter

Re: New glitch - Legend of the Autoscroll glitch - a bit more in-depth

Doing some further research it looks like the x factor on this glitch is NOT the merchant being mobile. The glitch is triggered only when walking 1 direction and initiating the shop menu instantly. Any shop where you can walk forward directly into the shop interaction is potentially a run-killer.

Just waiting a frame or two will make it not trigger tho so here's to slow shops!