Lunar reference

For discussion of Lunar: Silver Star Story, the remake of Lunar 1 for Saturn/Playstation/PC and all its translations
Winchester469
Burg Farmer
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Lunar reference

Post by Winchester469 »

Playing tales of arise and I found the lunar reference. The scene where alphen goes to shiones thorns is a massive reference to Alex walking towards goddess luna at the end.of the silver star complete.

ShugoHanasaki
Black Dragon Wizard

Re: Lunar reference

Post by ShugoHanasaki »

Absolutely! Thought similar. Fantastic game!
Lotus Moon Productions
- Podcasts on Independent Music Artists & Wrestling -

https://soundcloud.com/lotusmoonproductions

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

Haven't played Tales, but is it really overt like a direct reference, or more like an homage where it's a very similar layout and feel?
~Kizyr (they|them)

ShugoHanasaki
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by ShugoHanasaki »

Tales has an amazing resume of various games from SNES, PSX, PS2, PS3, PS4, Xbox, Gamecube, & more! I highly recommend it. It is very similar to Star Ocean at times. Game style.

It's not a direct reference in Arise, but if one played LUNAR, I can see why they would see that. I don't think it was a direct reference at all... I just think it fit the story
Lotus Moon Productions

Kizyr

Post by Kizyr »

Oh I just haven't played Tales of Arise (or most of the Tales series actually).

I have played Tales of Phantasia, several versions in fact (Super Famicom, PS1, and the PSP version with the crossover with Narikiri Dungeon). It's one of my favorite games up there alongside Lunar!

I tried playing Tales of Destiny (PS1) though and got very... bored a couple hours in, couldn't push myself to continue. I have Tales of Eternia also but never started it.
~Kizyr (they|them)

ShugoHanasaki
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by ShugoHanasaki »

Kizyr wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 3:21 pm Oh I just haven't played Tales of Arise (or most of the Tales series actually).

I have played Tales of Phantasia, several versions in fact (Super Famicom, PS1, and the PSP version with the crossover with Narikiri Dungeon). It's one of my favorite games up there alongside Lunar!

I tried playing Tales of Destiny (PS1) though and got very... bored a couple hours in, couldn't push myself to continue. I have Tales of Eternia also but never started it.
Tales of Destiny 1 is one of the best Tales imo. Shame you got bored.
Lotus Moon Productions

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

My husband and I got about halfway through, had to pause for some reason, and completely forgot everything about the game. The only part I can remember is pushing boxes around in warehouses. And this was actually my second try at the game. The first time, I played for several hours before realizing that that sparkly puddle was a save point. I leaned down to put a memory card into the PSX and my heel hit the power cord and unplugged it. Not my proudest gaming moment.

Still, we may give it another try sometime. I do recall it being a decent game, just not anything about it.

Kizyr

Post by Kizyr »

ShugoHanasaki wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 5:28 pm Tales of Destiny 1 is one of the best Tales imo. Shame you got bored.
Does it pick up later? I'm honestly not sure why. The game looks like something I'll really go for on all points, but something just... fully failed to hook me. I might still return to it one day.
~Kizyr (they|them)

Omegazero108
Nanza Bandit

Post by Omegazero108 »

Kizyr wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 1:24 am
ShugoHanasaki wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 5:28 pm Tales of Destiny 1 is one of the best Tales imo. Shame you got bored.
Does it pick up later? I'm honestly not sure why. The game looks like something I'll really go for on all points, but something just... fully failed to hook me. I might still return to it one day.
Oh x.x nvm my stupid comment... But i'd say depending on what version of the game you play, it does get going, probably is just a bit slow to start...

Shiva Indis
White Dragon Knight

Post by Shiva Indis »

ToD is a weird game - it's almost like two plots bolted together. And the second one is admittedly not as involving as the first. But it's still my favorite of the Tales games I've played too.

Maybe because it has a whole bunch of worldbuilding pretty much just for grins? Or because the characters are about as 90s as they could possibly be? Or there's a toilet in every house?

ALSO HI HOPE YOU'VE BEEN DOING WELL
「まあいいけど。」

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

HI SHIVA I TOTALLY NEED TO TALK WITH YOU SOMETIME when I'm using my indoor voice sorry

Seriously, though, I'm glad to see you and hope you've been doing well too!

Winchester469
Burg Farmer

Post by Winchester469 »

This had more replies than I thought it would as first time I've logged in since I posted. If anyone else is interested I posted a couple years ago a lunar 3 script I made for an idea. I was hoping to get more feedback and ideas. If anyone is interested please give it a read and leave a comment.