Animation Fail Part 2

For discussion of Lunar: Eternal Blue, the remake of Lunar 2 for Saturn/Playstation and all its translations
Shiva Indis
White Dragon Knight
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Animation Fail Part 2

Post by Shiva Indis »

I've been working on cleaning up screencaps of the cutscenes in the Lunar 2 remake so I figured I'd do some more animation errors. I have to choose my battles on this one. It's a more streamlined production, (so fewer painting errors,) but the artists involved aren't as skilled as the last time around. I could claim that ALL of the cutscenes are off-model. :|

First, a continuity error. The animators decided to give Lucia her pendant even in the intro, (on SCD she doesn't have it before she appears in the Blue Spire,) but forget about it when she's standing out in the snow a few scenes later. :x
L2EB_01_32.PNG
L2EB_01_32.PNG (224.28 KiB) Viewed 32188 times
Next, Lemina, where are your clothes??
L2EB_01_33.PNG
L2EB_01_33.PNG (288.97 KiB) Viewed 32188 times
Apparently Lemina magically summoned her normal outfit while she was dramatically taking off that cloak, because if she had it on the whole time we wouldn't be able to see that much bare shoulder.

You may also be wondering, Lemina, where is your eye?? I dunno, the animators didn't really care?
「まあいいけど。」

Alunissage
Goddess

Re: Animation Fail Part 2

Post by Alunissage »

Heh, I remember reading about the disappearing pendant on either the WDMB or the letters section of WD's site. No one at WD had noticed until it was pointed out -- not that the error itself had anything to do with WD, but it amuses me that it wasn't noticed in the time they worked on the game. But then, I didn't catch it either.

Is it just me or does Lucia's ear look really low in that second pic? Seems like she'd have a hard time wearing glasses.

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

Lemina's magic also lets her summon her second eye after she's done being the creepy old crone that might flash you.
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

That Lemina is such a tease. I was so disappointed by the remainder of that scene... KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Shiva Indis
White Dragon Knight

Post by Shiva Indis »

Here I go again with a painting error. Sadly, it's not very funny. It's just a screw up. Lucia's robe is black in a spot where it should be red.
L2EB_02_36.PNG
L2EB_02_36.PNG (326.01 KiB) Viewed 32106 times
This was bugging the hell out of me when I was processing stills from this scene. All of the hand drawn Destiny backgrounds that show up late in the game are neon-bright. Normally the contrast and color saturation on the other elements are through the roof so it's not a problem. Not this time, though.
L2EB_02_46.PNG
L2EB_02_46.PNG (354.09 KiB) Viewed 32105 times
This time the dayglow Destiny is paired with gray clouds and annoyingly dark, muted palette choices for the character art. I'd ask who screwed up more, but it's another useless question.
「まあいいけど。」

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

I think the muted character art works for that scene though; the clouds are blocking out the sunlight. Reminiscent of the land growing dark in TSS, actually. But yes, that makes the Destiny stick out even more.

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

Right, Alunissage - I don't think the problem is that the characters are dark, but rather that the Destiny is luminescent. Though I guess you could make some argument that it's emitting light because it still has the power of Althena. I probably wouldn't. :wink:

I think I had noticed the issue with Lucia's shirt, but I hadn't thought much about it, and it's been years since I've seen the scene. I guess at the time I chalked it up to an extremely neat shadow. Seeing it like this... *facepalm*.
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

Shiva Indis
White Dragon Knight

Post by Shiva Indis »

I agree that the dark color palette is appropriate for that scene, but I think the animators went overboard with it. Just like they go overboard with bright colors in the rest of the game. At least they're consistent... :|
「まあいいけど。」

Shiva Indis
White Dragon Knight

Post by Shiva Indis »

Double post! A nice, straightforward case of being off model - that hair's about waist-length, I'd say, but it's supposed to be hip-length. (Lucia's hair is even longer on Sega CD, about knee-length. ^_^)
L2EB_03_27.PNG
L2EB_03_27.PNG (221.26 KiB) Viewed 31979 times
「まあいいけど。」

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Seems to me like that's the only scene the animators realized that her character design really is absurd. That hair billowing like a flag in the opening always bugged me; as someone with rather long straight hair myself I can say that in my experience hair doesn't do that. The hair in the above pic at least looks like it could belong to an actual person.

brit
White Dragon Knight

Post by brit »

I never noticed any of these! O_O

3DS | 3652-1775-0152
PSN | Psychobrit08
SWITCH | SW-1497-7723-9594

** please let me know if you add me **

DragonmasterDan
Lunar Legend

Post by DragonmasterDan »

I've always thought this shot of Leo looked very off-model.

Shiva Indis
White Dragon Knight

Post by Shiva Indis »

Look at those wide-set eyes... x_x There's hardly a frame in that whole scene that I think is esthetically pleasing. (Yes, at risk of sounding impossibly anal, I have looked at most frames of animation in the game individually...) As I recall it was added into the Playstation version, so its afterthought nature may explain its lack of artistic integrity.
「まあいいけど。」

DragonmasterDan
Lunar Legend

Post by DragonmasterDan »

Shiva Indis wrote:Look at those wide-set eyes... x_x There's hardly a frame in that whole scene that I think is esthetically pleasing. (Yes, at risk of sounding impossibly anal, I have looked at most frames of animation in the game individually...) As I recall it was added into the Playstation version, so its afterthought nature may explain its lack of artistic integrity.
It was in the Saturn version as well. It was added for the remake, but not specifically the Playstation.

Enclave
Iluk Crackpot

Post by Enclave »

EBC in general has some...issues with eye placement. Lucia seems to be the biggest victim of it. Poor girl just can't get a break.

She looks like the goddess of special needs kids, not the one tasked with reviving the Blue Star.

TBH, I wouldn't mind if they completely redid the animation in a new remake. I know that could mean risking things like moe Lucia, but I'd rather take than mentally disabled-looking Lucia.

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Well, she isn't human, after all.

I have to take issue with the casual use of "special needs" and "mentally disabled" (as if the latter would necessarily correspond to a physical abnormality). Please don't do that, even in the context of discussing clear errors in portrayal of a fictional character. People who look different (including skin color) have enough trouble without being classed as mentally deficient (which is the usual implication of phrases like these) based on their appearance, and people who are mentally disabled are still people who don't deserve to be othered and used as a synonym for lesser-than, not-like-us. It's not so long ago that I would have been diagnosed with "minimal brain dysfunction" rather than ADD...if I'd been diagnosed at all, which I probably wouldn't have been.

Back to topic, it's a good catch, if poorly expressed.