Human Nall?

For discussion of Lunar: Eternal Blue, the remake of Lunar 2 for Saturn/Playstation and all its translations
Shinto-Cetra
Black Dragon Wizard
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Human Nall?

Post by Shinto-Cetra »

I just don't get why and how Nall takes human form in EBC. It's never explained how, he just has the ability to do it, even though no dragon in TSS/SSH did that. So what reason does he have to take human form? I believe some of the orphans in his care even say they've seen his dragon form (they may or may not know it was him), but they didn't feel scared of Dragon Nall, so it wouldn't be for the children's sake. The "Human Spirit" would not qualify because it's more of a value/higher ideal, not literally appearing in human form. I mean Mel, Quark, and Phacia have the human spirit, but they're a Beastman, Dragon, and Mazoku respectively (Mel and Quark in particular don't look biologically human.) Does anyone have any ideas how/why Nall appears in Human form?

Leo
BANNED

Re: Human Nall?

Post by Leo »

I'd hope a third Lunar would explain that, but Dragon Song put the final nail in that coffin. A great game is allowed one or two unexplained instances. At least it isn't the absurd mess that FF8's story is.

brit
White Dragon Knight

Post by brit »

I never really gave it much though. I just always assumed he somehow learned how to after Alex and Luna died or sometime after because he was lonely.

3DS | 3652-1775-0152
PSN | Psychobrit08
SWITCH | SW-1497-7723-9594

** please let me know if you add me **

Shiva Indis
White Dragon Knight

Post by Shiva Indis »

Both Nall and Ruby are shown to have at least some control over their physical forms once they come into their full powers. I imagine all the dragons could potentially assume human form if they wanted, but only Nall had the interest.
「まあいいけど。」

AkagisWhiteComet
Red Dragon Priest

Post by AkagisWhiteComet »

It's been quite some years since I've played both Sega CD and PS1 Eternal Blue. However if my memory serves me correctly I'm 99% sure that the reason why Nall chooses a human form is to elude discovery by Ghaleon and Zophar - I actually believe for sure in the Nall flashback in the Eternal Blue remake when Ghaleon pops up in the Grindery hide out that Ghaleon remarks on how it took him the time it did to find Nall. One could surmise from this dialogue and the recording Luna leaves for Lucia that Nall knew that he would have to go into hiding upon Zophar's return.

But yeah how one would do that is left ambiguous. It is hinted that Ruby can obtain human form though as well, so the power must have existed the entire time dragons existed. That then though raises the question as to why the dragons in the Silver Star did not select a human form. Ultimately this was probably just a minor story oversight that was altered for Eternal Blue.

Shinto-Cetra
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Shinto-Cetra »

AkagisWhiteComet wrote:It's been quite some years since I've played both Sega CD and PS1 Eternal Blue. However if my memory serves me correctly I'm 99% sure that the reason why Nall chooses a human form is to elude discovery by Ghaleon and Zophar - I actually believe for sure in the Nall flashback in the Eternal Blue remake when Ghaleon pops up in the Grindery hide out that Ghaleon remarks on how it took him the time it did to find Nall. One could surmise from this dialogue and the recording Luna leaves for Lucia that Nall knew that he would have to go into hiding upon Zophar's return.

But yeah how one would do that is left ambiguous. It is hinted that Ruby can obtain human form though as well, so the power must have existed the entire time dragons existed. That then though raises the question as to why the dragons in the Silver Star did not select a human form. Ultimately this was probably just a minor story oversight that was altered for Eternal Blue.
I looked up the scene on an Eternal Blue Complete script I found on GameFAQs here:http://www.gamefaqs.com/ps/197807-lunar ... faqs/52436. He doesn't say exactly that:

Ghaleon: "Hm, hm, hm. It's been a long time, hasn't it, Nall? I see you no
longer have the boy or the Goddess to protect you. I can't tell you
how happy it makes me to meet you like this. The circumstances of our
reunion are so...perfect."

I looked at the dialogue, and he says it's been a long time (I'm guessing since their last meeting), not that it took Ghaleon awhile to find Nall. As for Luna's hologram, it only mentions Zophar by name once, saying that he fears victory.

@Shiva Indis: do you mean the change in form from flying cat to full-sized dragon? Possibly, I thought it was more drastic, since they still look more similar in dragon/cat form compared to each other than to than human form. I guess that is my personal perception though.

AkagisWhiteComet
Red Dragon Priest

Post by AkagisWhiteComet »

I pulled up the screen shots here on Lunar-net. I didn't realize how similar the dialogue was between the Sega CD EB and the remake EB - WD almost pasted it word for word...

It likely has been a very long time since Ghaleon last "saw" Nall; presumably one could consider the final scene before Ghaleon's death in The Silver Star the last time they met before the scene in the Grindery in Eternal Blue. Also, Ghaleon hasn't been alive for all that time between the two games, he during the events of Eternal Blue having recently been revived to "serve" Zophar. Ghaleon likely was some time before their meeting actively searching for Nall and probably checked the most obvious places; the White Dragon Cave (which Nall does not stay in), wherever Burg is located during the time period of Eternal Blue (maybe in a forgotten ruin or no longer exists?), and just so happened to come upon the ruin of the Grindery later.

It seems to me if Ghaleon was indeed having some issues tracking the White Dragon down, then one could conclude that since he was such the scholar at Vane that was hinted at during The Silver Star that it would make more sense that he just proceeded to Vane. Since their library is still largely intact - although it's in disrepair - he likely could have surmised the events of the past 1,000 years or so simply by reading up on everything. Plus nobody in Vane would have known who Ghaleon was; "Oh never mind the tall and mysterious magic using vagabond." ... But I guess in reality Zophar probably just gave him a quick spill on everything going on.