Cute Ribbon

For discussion of Lunar: Eternal Blue, the remake of Lunar 2 for Saturn/Playstation and all its translations
Angelalex242
Legendary Hero
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Cute Ribbon

Post by Angelalex242 »

Who remembers to farm for these in Ghost Manor off Suzies? The +8 Magic Def cannot be found on any other piece of female headgear, making it ideal against primarily magic using enemies and bosses (And the entirety of disc 1+pentagulia regardless)
Don't blame me, Lucia promised me lots of snuggles and cuddles if I would be her PR guy.

Alunissage
Goddess

Re: Cute Ribbon

Post by Alunissage »

I made sure to get one, which I put on Jean when she needs it. Lemina's generally doing fine against magic.

This is reminding me that I need to get back to my playthrough, which I paused just before fighting Leo.

Angelalex242
Legendary Hero

Post by Angelalex242 »

This is interesting. After getting one cute ribbon at level 23 or so, I've leveled up to 30 in the Ghost Manor and haven't found a second. I wonder if there's a flag to keep you from getting a 2nd one. Though that makes no sense when I had no trouble getting two chain mails and 2 iron shields in the Destiny. Or 2 silver gauntlets and jeweled hairpins in the Mystic Ruins
Don't blame me, Lucia promised me lots of snuggles and cuddles if I would be her PR guy.

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

Are there distinct odds for earning one? I know that with Earthbound the odds for rare items was 1/128. (2^7.) It was practically useless if I was going to grind for the item anyway, but it somehow made the effort meaningful - "Aha, got it on try 62!" or "Wow, it's my third hour and I'm still grinding for this item? What is wrong with me/the RNG?"
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

Angelalex242
Legendary Hero

Post by Angelalex242 »

Strategy guide says 1%. What I'm curious about now is if there's a finite amount of them...and after you win the first one, you can't win anymore from Suzie Deaths. Level 30 is a LOT more then 200 of those things.

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

It seems really unlikely to me that the game would check to see if you have one in inventory, seeing as it's not even an event item. I'd guess that the 1% is actually 1/128 based on what I saw in the SSS data.

Grefyrvos
Saith Pirate

Post by Grefyrvos »

I've never found it necessary to get one as a drop, seeing as you get one in Taban's Peak in a chest. I suppose having it "early" for Missing Link might be nice, but I've never found it necessary.
Avatar created by my old pal, FearTheChopstick, c. many years ago.

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Yeah, I just realized when I looked at my notes that that's where I got it. Though I might've gotten one in the Manor too. Would need to look at my saves.

Angelalex242
Legendary Hero

Post by Angelalex242 »

I now have a 'proper' save file where I got one in the Ghost Manor on the first run through. I saved that one to my 'farming done well' save files. But Jean appreciates the magic def for Missing Link, yes. And several normal enemies too. Speaking of which, I put the Wind Ring on Hiro when I got it in the Ghost Manor, but I've noticed no enemies seem to actually USE Fire and Earth attacks. Not for a good long while, anyway. At least the Phoenix Ring in Zulan sees immediate use.

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

...I didn't know you could even farm these. Dark Scimitar notwithstanding, I've never been much of an item hunter. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Angelalex242
Legendary Hero

Post by Angelalex242 »

Heh. Cute Ribbon is the ONLY Female headgear with magic defense, and considering how many of the major bosses use magic, having two of those is a very prudent idea. Even Lemina appreciates 8 more magic def against monsters that use nothing but magic.

As for how to do this...

Hard Way: Farm for 1% drop from Suzie Death in the Ghost Manor. It's the earliest you can obtain a cute ribbon, and Jean appreciates the magic defense a LOT. I have a save file with this obtained on the first run through so I never have to do that again.
Hard Way 2: Dream Leeches have a 1% drop too.
Easy Way: There's one for free in Taben's peak.
Smart Way: Get your second one from a Dream Leech with the Thieves' Staff.