Speed Storm

For discussion of Lunar: Eternal Blue, the remake of Lunar 2 for Saturn/Playstation and all its translations
Angelalex242
Legendary Hero
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Speed Storm

Post by Angelalex242 »

So far, we have deduced it improves Agility and Range.

What I'd like to know is, by how much? Is it a flat boost? Is it on par with the strength and defense boosts of Lemina?

Something else entirely? There's no numbers to tell us what that spell's even doing for Hiro.

Can we find out, through hacking the code or other means?
Don't blame me, Lucia promised me lots of snuggles and cuddles if I would be her PR guy.

Grefyrvos
Saith Pirate

Re: Speed Storm

Post by Grefyrvos »

Unless it's in a random portion of the guide nowhere near the section on Magic, the WD book doesn't provide any concrete details beyond it raising Hiro's Agility.

Best guess - there's either something in one of the other guides that Alunissage has (like with the Rings) or, if there's a way, someone might have to debug the game as it's running or view the (presumably) hexadecimal code that makes up the game. :/
Avatar created by my old pal, FearTheChopstick, c. many years ago.

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Angelalex and I had been talking about it in PM long before he made this thread. We already looked through the guides. Temzin translated the descriptions in two Japanese guides for me; that's how we found that it affects range, not just agility. (The WD guide reverses speed and agility in a couple of places, including the description of this spell. It does NOT make Hiro faster to attack.)

So yeah, all that's left is empirical testing (very difficult to assess agility/evasion and range increases this way) and hacking.

Range might be easier to test straight-line, by putting Hiro all the way in the back and in a corner, then using Defend to try to move him to the diagonally opposite corner of the playing field, before and after casting Speed Storm. But that's pretty hard to measure numerically. Accessories that decrease Range might help to at least see whether it's a multiplier or a specific number. Unfortunately, there only seems to be one, the Iron Clogs.

Angelalex242
Legendary Hero

Post by Angelalex242 »

There are crests that increase range though, the Shiro Crest. We have the option of iron clogs, normal, shiro, Shiro+clogs (+2 range), Two Shiro, Legendary Lid (+2) Master Sword (+2) Althena's Sword +7
Don't blame me, Lucia promised me lots of snuggles and cuddles if I would be her PR guy.

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

True, but how long before the numbers are just too big to make any distinction? Hiro gets Speed Storm at level 33, when his Range is already 20. He gains +1 Range every five levels starting from level 7 (so at 12, 17, etc), at least up through level 33 which is as far as I've gotten in my note-taking playthrough. I've paused just before getting the Destiny. The Master Sword is in Raculi, and of course Althena's Sword is only in the epilogue, so his Range stat will have increased several points by then. (I think in my first playthrough I got Triple Sword either right after Ghaleon or right after Zophar.) Don't have the guides handy to check where a second Shiro Crest might be gotten.

It's a good point, though. Could compare effect of Speed Storm with effect of Shiro Crest and others. BTW, according to my notes, Blue Dragon Crest is Range +5 and Red Dragon Crest is Range +7.

Angelalex242
Legendary Hero

Post by Angelalex242 »

The Dragon Crests all give stat ups...only with the help of the Goddess Crest. I usually find better things for it to do, like being paired with warrior on Hiro and Triple Sword ;)

Angelalex242
Legendary Hero

Post by Angelalex242 »

Also, Shiro Crests are in infinite supply if you steal them with Thieves' Staff. You can have a dozen of them if you want. Chiro Crests are likewise in infinite supply thanks to the Thieves' Staff.

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Ah, yes. That would be me paying insufficient attention to my own column headings. >_<