Lunar 2 Eternal Blue Sega Saturn Gamerip

For discussion of Lunar: Eternal Blue, the remake of Lunar 2 for Saturn/Playstation and all its translations
Parn
Reza Thief
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Lunar 2 Eternal Blue Sega Saturn Gamerip

Post by Parn »

I started this project a long time ago... and finally finished it this evening. For those unaware, the PlayStation and Sega Saturn versions of the game's music sound a bit different. The PlayStation version's music is rendered on the fly like MIDI files for a PC while the Saturn version's music is streamed off the disc kind of like MP3s on a PC.

Check it out and download away here. I'll be monitoring my bandwidth while these are up... if you can share these files through some kind of software with friends, so much the better.

Shiva Indis
White Dragon Knight

Post by Shiva Indis »

Sweet! Ghaleon's Theme!

I've wanted a full soundtrack ever since I picked up a bootleg of that other vaguely arranged one. You have done us an excellent service - .oggs even!
「まあいいけど。」

DevNall
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by DevNall »

That's awesome! I have not experienced the Saturn version of EBC, so I totally want to go compare it to the Sega CD and PlayStation music now! The more music variations, the better. :)

(I've converted all the Sega CD music and voice clips if anyone wants it; The PlayStation soundtrack is already available over at zophar.net. I might be able to mirror the Saturn music in a few days if it would help.)

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

*blinks* Hi, Parn. Haven't seen you around in a while, but then, I don't think I've looked anywhere I'd expect you to be. Thanks for doing this and making it available! I started playing the Saturn game specifically for the music, but I forget how far I got.

This may be an obvious question, but where are the names from? It's been quite a while since I played the game, in any language.

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

Hey, thanks for posting those! I've ripped them a few times as well, but always seem to find them deleted when I really want them. BTW, nice to see you on the boards Parn! Feel free to stick around if you want!
-G1

Parn
Reza Thief

Post by Parn »

Mirroring the music would be very awesome. If you get it up, let me know and I'll link away to it.

And hello Alunissage. Definitely been a long time. The song names are a mixture of stuff that Working Designs used for the sound test in the PlayStation release, a few names from the original Lunar Eternal Blue OST, as well as some of my own.

Edit: And hello, G1. I'll probably stick around.

Temzin
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Temzin »

Bravo, Parn, these are great! The instrumentation really is notably better, especially the violins...that was the key failing of the PS rendititons of Mega CD songs, and I'm really grateful to have these. If you care for Iwadare's official song titles out of the Ocarina from the Japanese version, I have them thanks to the LunarHope board folk, who saved me the trouble, though you may be content with the US ones. Either way, thanks much!

Parn
Reza Thief

Post by Parn »

No problem. And on that note, there are segments where the PlayStation release had stuff cut out of the music. For instance, compare both consoles' version of Blessed City/Town (the music that plays in towns like Dalton). The music is basically comprised of three parts in the Saturn version, the first segment featuring a violin hitting mostly low notes, followed by a second part where the violin hits some higher notes, and lastly a segment sans violin. The PlayStation version plays the first segment twice, then hits that third segment, skipping the second segment entirely. There's other similar cuts in a few other songs.

As for the track names, I think I'll be alright, but thanks just the same. Renaming would mean reuploading everything and editing... heh.

Temzin
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Temzin »

Heh, no surprise about the segment skipping...Iwadare's great score took such a pummeling on the PS remake (despite extended song versions), after all. I's a shame they didn't bother to do better on the PS than the embarrassing "violins" that feature so strongly in Zophar's Arrival and Footsteps of the Decisive Battle...it's a relief to hear them normally in the Saturn versions. I noticed that the second half of Jean's theme (the part that loops after the initial minute or so) didn't seem to be present. Was it absent in the Saturn version, do you suppose?
aka Maou

Parn
Reza Thief

Post by Parn »

Indeed, the second half was never in the game. I guess that's one thing the Saturn version lacked.

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

I'm not exactly tech savy or anything, but how exactly do you play a .ogg file? I've never even seen that file extension before.

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

Parn
Reza Thief

Post by Parn »

Full version of Winamp will play .ogg files and just about everything else around. Ogg Vorbis is an open source audio codec that is free for use by anyone and is actually used by some game developers. I use Ogg Vorbis over MP3 because there are some CDs where the audio does not stop from one track to another, and because MP3 does not support gapless track transition, you get a little "blip" as it transitions from one track to the next. You don't notice this with 99% of the MP3s out there because most songs fade out before the track ends. So that's basically my reasoning for choosing the format. The alternative was Musepack, which has considerably less software support.

So yeah... Winamp Full works. If you use Windows Media Player, installing this software enables .ogg playback.

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

Ub3r. Thanks a lot, I was afraid of the heart attack I might have suffered for not being able to play these music file thingies. I'm sure everyone here appreciates the time spent on ripping these suckers. *listens to them now*

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

Fake Althena Jediah
Meryod Yokel

Post by Fake Althena Jediah »

DevNall or anyone do you know the Codec needed to play those rips?
I've probrably been searching a good 6 months looking for the music and have had no luck until I stumbled upon this site!
The music for Lunar is too good not to have!

Thanks!

DevNall
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by DevNall »

Doesn't WinAmp play them?

Some alternatives that will:
Should I just convert these into another format, too?

Fake Althena Jediah
Meryod Yokel

Post by Fake Althena Jediah »

Yes actually Winamp plays them just fine. You can save your playlist on it like Musicmatch cant you? Theres no music that expresses mood like EBC does. Thanks alot bro!

Zophar
Black Dragon Wizard

Re: Lunar 2 Eternal Blue Sega Saturn Gamerip

Post by Zophar »

Parn wrote:I started this project a long time ago... and finally finished it this evening. For those unaware, the PlayStation and Sega Saturn versions of the game's music sound a bit different. The PlayStation version's music is rendered on the fly like MIDI files for a PC while the Saturn version's music is streamed off the disc kind of like MP3s on a PC.

Check it out and download away here. I'll be monitoring my bandwidth while these are up... if you can share these files through some kind of software with friends, so much the better.

Hey, thanks! :) I have been looking for a complete soundtrack of Lunar 2 for awhile.

iamstillhiro1112
Saith Pirate

Post by iamstillhiro1112 »

I didn't play the saturn version, but it sounds different. I downloaded the Tabens peak so far.

I never was able to come up with a change music gameshark code for PSX, I was only able to come up with codes that altered the instruments used to play the song, which I thought was odd. I guess that was because it was making them on the fly this whole time.

WD RPG WD
White Dragon Knight

Post by WD RPG WD »

Hey Parn, is there anyway you can do the same for SSSC as well? I really enjoyed the music for it but the quality is pretty bad on PSX.

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

My guess is he can't. He likely used the PCM music ripping tool that worked with EB on the Saturn, and if I recall correctly, SSS had another format.
-G1