Lunar 3 Finally News...

For discussion of rumors of any new Lunar games, including the nonexistent Lunar 3
User avatar
Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)
Posts: 8270
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80
Joined: Wed Dec 25, 2002 7:36 am
Location: Marius Zone
Contact:

Re: Lunar 3 Finally News...

Post by Kizyr »

Devil's wager: would you be up for a new Lunar game if there was a 90% chance it was bad, only a 10% chance it was good?

Like, is the risk of another terrible game worth it?

I actually think that's about where we are, based on the very forgettable content added to Silver Star Harmony and how bad Dragon Song was, that any new game is far more likely to be terrible than good (not even great, just good). And given how the market for classic JRPGs is basically... people playing them for nostalgia (to be clear this includes me!)... it's unlikely they'll build a new game in that style.

But say...... the style of something like Genshin Impact could work for a Lunar game, and they'd need to make sure the story, gameplay, everything else, is high quality as well.

...just thinking out loud here. To be clear I don't see a possibility that we'll ever see another completely new Lunar installment.
~Kizyr
Image

User avatar
Angelalex242
Legendary Hero
Posts: 1308
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2005 8:38 pm
Location: Lucia's Fortress

Re: Lunar 3 Finally News...

Post by Angelalex242 »

If we wanted it to be good, we'd probably be be best off making it ourselves.
Don't blame me, Lucia promised me lots of snuggles and cuddles if I would be her PR guy.

Image

User avatar
Alunissage
Goddess
Posts: 7286
Joined: Thu Dec 26, 2002 10:31 am

Re: Lunar 3 Finally News...

Post by Alunissage »

I have a whole sequel to DS mapped out in my head to make it line up with Lunar 1. Though it'll probably stay there.

User avatar
Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)
Posts: 8270
Joined: Wed Dec 25, 2002 7:36 am
Location: Marius Zone
Contact:

Re: Lunar 3 Finally News...

Post by Kizyr »

The only real chance I see of a fan-made game is a "spiritual successor". An independent game, without using any of the IP of Lunar but still intended to be in its world or one very much like it. It'd have to be set far enough away (presumably we're talking like 1000 years in the future) from existing Lunar games such that it wouldn't need to reference the same locations and it'd avoid any weirdly obvious IP-dodges ("oh we're going to the port city of... Maribia!").

Thinking of indie games since that's the only place where I see really effective use of old-school graphics in new, inventive ways to where the games still feel fantastic to this day (think Celeste, Crypt of the Necrodancer, etc.). And it might even be possible to capture the feel of the original.

Of course... my controversial take is that too many fans on a project spoil the project, since we have a huge risk of caring more about technical accuracy than the story. And sometimes you need to sacrifice one for the other. (And this is where I'm borrowing now lessons from my other favorite fandom of Star Trek. Fans are great to have on board but the entire thing can't revolve around them or it descends into something that sounds like a debate on the TrekBBS boards.)
~Kizyr
Image

User avatar
ShugoHanasaki
Black Dragon Wizard
Posts: 416
Joined: Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:53 am
Location: Lavender Falls
Contact:

Re: Lunar 3 Finally News...

Post by ShugoHanasaki »

Kizyr wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 7:18 pm Devil's wager: would you be up for a new Lunar game if there was a 90% chance it was bad, only a 10% chance it was good?

Like, is the risk of another terrible game worth it?

I actually think that's about where we are, based on the very forgettable content added to Silver Star Harmony and how bad Dragon Song was, that any new game is far more likely to be terrible than good (not even great, just good). And given how the market for classic JRPGs is basically... people playing them for nostalgia (to be clear this includes me!)... it's unlikely they'll build a new game in that style.

But say...... the style of something like Genshin Impact could work for a Lunar game, and they'd need to make sure the story, gameplay, everything else, is high quality as well.

...just thinking out loud here. To be clear I don't see a possibility that we'll ever see another completely new Lunar installment.
The devil's wager, eh? Well....I don't know how I would know that information about being 90% bad and 10% good, but i would not be up for a new game if the chances were that high it was going to be bad *cough cough* Dragon Song *cough cough* lol
Lotus Moon Productions
- Podcasts on Independent Music Artists & Wrestling -

https://soundcloud.com/lotusmoonproductions

User avatar
Star_Lunar3
Lann Fisherman
Posts: 24
Joined: Fri Oct 08, 2021 6:27 am

Re: Lunar 3 Finally News...

Post by Star_Lunar3 »

I've previously posted on another thread about a 'Lunar 3' concept that I've been working on for over 18 months. And I see fans on here have mixed feelings about someone (other than the original creators) trying to make it happen. I totally understand the sentiment but realistically, after 20+ years, it's seemingly less and less likely they ever will.

I was never affiliated with the 'petition' movement, as I'm just an independent writer. It's basically a hobby at this point. However, if any game designers out there wanted to use the story, I'd gladly let them do so. And if anyone else is interested in checking out the story, follow me on my fb page!

https://www.facebook.com/AdamsLunar3/

User avatar
ShugoHanasaki
Black Dragon Wizard
Posts: 416
Joined: Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:53 am
Location: Lavender Falls
Contact:

Re: Lunar 3 Finally News...

Post by ShugoHanasaki »

Star_Lunar3 wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 5:15 am I've previously posted on another thread about a 'Lunar 3' concept that I've been working on for over 18 months. And I see fans on here have mixed feelings about someone (other than the original creators) trying to make it happen. I totally understand the sentiment but realistically, after 20+ years, it's seemingly less and less likely they ever will.

I was never affiliated with the 'petition' movement, as I'm just an independent writer. It's basically a hobby at this point. However, if any game designers out there wanted to use the story, I'd gladly let them do so. And if anyone else is interested in checking out the story, follow me on my fb page!

https://www.facebook.com/AdamsLunar3/
Just remember if you plan to produce LUNAR 3 whether it's fan written or not...You'll have to get a lot of approval to officially post it and gather copyrights and such. Making a game for the world to play and make money off of isn't as easy as one might think (^.~) Make sure to cover all your bases so you're not blindsided by some sort of copyright (^^)
Lotus Moon Productions
- Podcasts on Independent Music Artists & Wrestling -

https://soundcloud.com/lotusmoonproductions

User avatar
Star_Lunar3
Lann Fisherman
Posts: 24
Joined: Fri Oct 08, 2021 6:27 am

Re: Lunar 3 Finally News...

Post by Star_Lunar3 »

ShugoHanasaki wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 3:54 pm
Star_Lunar3 wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 5:15 am I've previously posted on another thread about a 'Lunar 3' concept that I've been working on for over 18 months. And I see fans on here have mixed feelings about someone (other than the original creators) trying to make it happen. I totally understand the sentiment but realistically, after 20+ years, it's seemingly less and less likely they ever will.

I was never affiliated with the 'petition' movement, as I'm just an independent writer. It's basically a hobby at this point. However, if any game designers out there wanted to use the story, I'd gladly let them do so. And if anyone else is interested in checking out the story, follow me on my fb page!

https://www.facebook.com/AdamsLunar3/
Just remember if you plan to produce LUNAR 3 whether it's fan written or not...You'll have to get a lot of approval to officially post it and gather copyrights and such. Making a game for the world to play and make money off of isn't as easy as one might think (^.~) Make sure to cover all your bases so you're not blindsided by some sort of copyright (^^)
Those are all valid points. All I have at this is time is a script. In order to produce a game out of it, would require a much bigger and collaborative movement. I was hoping to find a few others either on social media or in here.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest