Which remake did you like better?

This board is for general discussion of Lunar. Especially things such as Lunar merchandise, general discussions about the story that span more than one game, etc.
liquidpolicenaut
Red Dragon Priest
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Which remake did you like better?

Post by liquidpolicenaut »

I have asked myself that question a few times and can't really nail it, although most of the time my answer is the remake of EBC. My personal pros/cons list for the remakes are the following:

LUNAR:SSSC
PROS:
- Really nice cutscenes
- the addition of Royce and Phacia
- 2 or 3 good new songs (#1 being the Luna Boat Song)
- Nice American deluxe packaging :)
- No random battles

CONS:
- Crappy world map
- Changed soundtrack (95% worse in my opinion. Nothing can top the original)
- No random battles. I say it's both a pro and con because i sometimes miss the random battles. Also, you can see the enemies now, true, but did they ALL have to be gray?!

LUNAR:EBC
PROS:
- Same awesome soundtrack as original (Saturn version is basically a super clean version of the original...which is perfect!)
- Over world map is now similar to original
- Extra dungeons
- Ties nicely into SSSC storyline
- Nice cutscenes
- Nice American deluxe packaging

CONS:
- Lost a few cutscenes compared to Mega/Sega CD. Why were they even cut?
- I actually PREFER the Sega/Mega CD cutscenes! Although they are nice, I just always felt the original really shows the power the Sega/Mega CD had in the right hands and the new ones also suffer from some really bad compressions on all the versions...

I guess thats my list. So, I figure I like the EBC remake better. Although, does a remake of a game that come TOO close to the original make a good REMAKE??
Visit my Youtube site!!
LiquidPolicenauts YouTube Videos

DezoPenguin
Red Dragon Priest

Re: Which remake did you like better?

Post by DezoPenguin »

Let's see?:

SSSC:

Pro:
1. Luna with party for extended time enabling decent relationship to be formed with her.
2. Better in-game graphics and color palette (specifically including less of that darned glow-in-the-dark green color and having character sprites like Jessy and Mia actually look like the characters do in the cutscene art).
3. More balanced combat system (as opposed to "Alex and Kyle hit things").
4. EB-style inventory control and menus.
5. Vastly superior music.
6. Cutscenes, lots of 'em, and well-animated, and several of which had some definite emotional power to them (I still like Alex walking into the pillar of light at the end).
7. Much more between-the-party dialogue giving rise to a better understanding of characters and story.
8. Royce and Phacia.
9. Bromides! Pretty to look at without being something creepily exploitative (well, except for Mia #4...but it still made a good fanfic).
10. Considerably fewer "generic identical cave" maps.

Con:
1. The change in Ghaleon's motivations turns him from an interesting, personally-motivated character to yet another cookie-cutter opponent of human free will (and does anyone else think it's odd how many JRPGs seem to center around the theme of personal independence and will and not knuckling under to external society's decision-makers?).
2. Naked (if unrevealing) bathing portraits at the Springs, combined with absurd dungeon required to be traversed to get to the girls' spring plays into idiotic stereotypes of gamers being drooling teenaged boys, thank you.

EBC:

Pro:
1. Cutscenes and a lot of 'em!
2. Hiro no longer peeping at Lucia changing but instead trying to prevent Ronfar from doing so (I thought that was much more in-character for him).
3. Ronfar's "toasty boy" conversation portrait, which never fails to make Lynne laugh out loud while I'm playing.
4. Jean's actions at the Carnival better fleshed-out and in-character.
5. Removal of the "Hiro-gets-crystalized, Lucia-goes-to-Blue-Spire" scene. While an interesting scene to show her learning to love, in EB it's immediately followed by her backsliding, losing faith, and seizing Althena's power. Clearly the lesson wasn't learned well enough and therefore there's no point showing the scene.
6. Ramus character portrait vastly superior.
7. Extra dungeons.
8. Bromides. Not worth a "!" but cute. Also, Jean's bromides are the only way to hear "Oasis Rose" except the cutscene at the Carnival since it doesn't appear on the ocarina.
9. All the great outtakes from the first game kept and new ones added!
10. Taben's Peak considerably more entertaining.
11. Epilogue longer and with considerably more text and story.
12. Lucia way more useful!
13. Game can now be saved on memory card instead of dueling for space on the SCD's internal memory.

Con:
1. Remixed music universally worse than original music.
2. New Azado scene not only considerably cliched and worse than previous Azado scene but also removes cool-looking beads from the Azado architecture. Bleah!
3. Lionhead and Dragon's Nest no longer accessible in-game
4. Ghost Manor less fun without the "stages" using different characters.
5. Ice treasures? Which ice treasures were these?
6. Where's the Phantom Sentry (the real one, not the big ugly statue)? And why does the Star Dragon look like such a putz?
7. Good-bye magic experience points. I HATED those things (not the saving with them, just the need for leveling-up all the time to get enough of them!)
8. Ghaleon's purple tattoo not as attractive as old blue version; also Dragon Cannon no longer sufficiently spectacular.
9. Borgan and Fake Althena battles less interesting as single-part bosses.
10. Lucia spell name confusion.
11. Zophar not as cool-looking in battle.
12. Blue Dragon Vigor go bye-bye. :cry:
13. Crest Magic more silly than productive.

All-in-all, SSSC was to me a major jump in every way over TSS (which I was okay with, but not ecstatic over). Only the gutting of Ghaleon's character kept it from being one of my all-time favorite games and leaves it as a 4.5-star outing with Final Fantasy Tactics and Xenosaga III. So, in terms of "difference between remake and original" I'd go with SSSC.

On the other hand, Eternal Blue is one of my four all-time favorite games (PSIV, FF7, Shadow Hearts). The remake was good, but really no better than the original; for everything that got better, something else got worse, but the net product was essentially equal to the original but playable on newer systems as opposed to my breaking-down SCD (well, actually, it's the Genesis part that's breaking down). But EBC is a better game than SSSC, largely because it's based on a better core idea with better characters and story.

So it all depends on what you mean by "better."

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Darrell, are you saying the removal of Magic EXP is a pro or a con? Hard to tell. ;)

I guess I'll give this a try, though it will almost certainly be quite incomplete due to minor things that aren't as fresh in my mind like the details of different monsters. A lot of things will be repeats of what Darrell said, with a few disagreements and additions.

SSS Pros:
+ Character portraits added a lot of humor
+ More dialogue to flesh out character and storyline
+ More sophisticated magic menu, showing what and how much each spell did instead of needing to guess like in TSS; ditto with other items and so on
+ More sophisticated "range" instead of "moves" prevented zigzagging around on the battlefield (although, as with many SSS changes, this actually originated in EB)
+ Nash has a few non-thunder spells (though not much use regardless)
+ Phacia (not so enthused about Royce, though)
+ Secret items to find, such as bromides, Ghaleon's Tear, etc
+ More Luna time to establish her as a character
+ Better sprites, though still room for improvement
+ Some nice cutscenes, though really only the Dark Goddess stands out to me (because of the music)
+ Ghaleon playing the lute, and other fleshing-out of his background with Dyne
+ Brief epilogue in Meribia to wrap up loose storyline ends (and show Laike and Mel satisfyingly de-stoned)
+ Some dungeons fleshed out and made more complex, such as the dragon caves
+ Nall revives
? Visible enemies less aggravating when you want to level up, but made the world kind of empty
? The Frontier explicitly the dark side of the "moon". I haven't decided how I feel about this one.
? More music...although TSS got along just fine with the smaller quantity of pieces

SSS cons:
- Music made more generic in both complexity and sounds, sometimes downright dopey (Lyton/Blue Dragon Cave), and the single most boring and even ugly piece of Lunar music included from EB (the thud-thud-thud cave music)
- Gaping plothole introduced in that Quark/Luna capture scene
- Less interesting Mel's Mansion
- Nash changed from a loyal, clever double agent into a cowardly traitor
- Ghaleon's character weakened as noted earlier, and also Althena's "retirement" lessening the impact of her staying with Alex
- Cool, austere, mysterious temples of Althena turned into pseudo-Christian cathedral complete with organ and stained glass -- another carryover from EB, but thereby weakening the effect of the change between TSS and EB
- Way too few spells, and of very predictable types: attack one/some/all and support, a stripped-down version of EB's without the interesting changes (on the other hand, some might argue that having the different dragon spells do different things is more interesting); no healing spell for Mia or Alex until the overpriced Dragon Healing
- Smaller and less interesting world map; since there are no battles on it, there's no reason for anything but the main locations to be on the map and thus nothing much to explore
- Can't easily run any more, making levelling up more tedious
- Spoiler in Ocarina song list
- Ocarina instead of harp (possibly related to Ghaleon playing the lute)
- Battle voices, and more voices in general... I know, I'm the only one who thinks adding these was a step back
- Kyle ridiculously slow, considering he's a professional fighter; Nash ridiculously useless instead of being a half-decent fighter
? Royce -- too much a clone of Xenobia to be terribly interesting, and therefore pares Xenobia's appearences down so much as to make her negligible
? Remake COULD'VE added a Fresca/Mia/Jess dungeon to balance the boys' club Black Dragon Shrine, but didn't -- bah!
? Fewer, if any, hidden chests?

Legend pros:
+ Better sprites than any other game in the series, especially the charming battle animations
+ Luna uses a frying pan, which is rather funny if ridiculously sexist
+ Cards are fun to collect
+ Some hidden or hard to find red chests and a couple other secrets, like the Protector's Cave and the red chest in Ramus's shop whose contents change depending on when you open it
+ Special equipment sets are kind of fun
+ Arts gauge moves aren't necessary, but again are kind of fun (if balance-wrecking)
+ Alternate storyline bits at the beginning taken from first novel and drama CD, including interesting examination of becoming a dragonmaster

Legend cons - almost all of the SSS ones plus:
- Lousy AI for battle tactics -- that is, there is none; the targetting is apparently random
- Music quality
- Balance issues, such as the overpowered Meteo Rod
- One-time-only dungeons
- Battle... actually, just about all of the cons that are Legend-specific are directly related to it being on a handheld and just not having the speakers or screen real estate to do things like the classic battle system or explorable overworld map. And, of course, additional cons from the rushed localization. So I think I won't bother going into further detail there. For the most part, I'm OK with the tradeoff of really nice sprites in battle in exchange for dealing with a random, range-less battle system (which does at least have zone attacks and some variation in DEF depending on location).

EBC pros:
+ Character sprites
+ Hiro not being such a jerk
+ Ruby marginally less irritating
+ Funnier opening with Hiro running from the Inferno Ghouls
+ More epilogue dungeons
+ Bromides
+ Easier to steer Destiny
+ A few small subplots, like the Nota group and the person lost in Zulan
+ Possible to see Lucia's spells and stats under some circumstances, for people who like numbers
+ Fleshed out backstory for Jean and to a lesser extent Ronfar and Mauri
+ Flashback of Althena being her actual self, not just a retired goddess or a picture
+ Crest system interesting, if overdone (I probably wouldn't take it over the loss of M Exp, though)
+ Some fun items and accessories, like the pajamas
+ Complex Zophar battle (I haven't played the original in a while, though, so can't compare easily... I'm just thinking of all the extra arms)
+ Some fun battle voices -- well, some fun running-away voices, like Ronfar's Gambler quote

EBC cons:
- Less interesting and complex dungeons by far
- Too many Lucia bathing scenes, and rather forced ones at that
- Azado butchering, also as noted earlier
- M Exp removed... I really liked that, and didn't mind the paying for saves either
- Tying all magic to levelling up meant that spells morphed into more expensive ones unavoidably
- Some spells less interesting, like Ronfar's Chance Dice
- Despite five separate elements, many enemies vulnerable to all elemental magic (as opposed to direct attacks or non-elemental skills) more or less equally rather than weak to some and strong to others
- Still single-combat battle at end, so no real use for all that levelling up and cool epilogue items found for others (not really a change, but should have been)
- Simplified world map, though perhaps not as much as with SSS
- Overpowered spells, e.g. Triple Sword
- Red Dragon Anger (and Black Dragon Grief?) still useless
- More boring and easy boss battles

I guess that's about it that I can think of offhand. I actually like all of the five games mentioned, but still have a preference for TSS and a growing appreciation for EB, which I think may be the best overall game even if not my favorite. I've generally tried to avoid mentioning things that are localization-specific, with the exception of the few voices I mentioned.

DezoPenguin
Red Dragon Priest

Post by DezoPenguin »

Alunissage wrote:Darrell, are you saying the removal of Magic EXP is a pro or a con? Hard to tell. ;)
Um...er...I think I'm saying that I put it in the wrong list. :oops:

You mentioned several things that I hadn't thought of, and made me think of another one, too.

SSSC Con:

Expanded quotes for Luna make her seem like a typical stereotype of a whiny (even -Borgan-), uptight female. I get so aggravated with the stereotype of the girl who won't actually date a guy (or isn't yet dating a guy) but constantly criticizes him for looking at other girls, wanting to try beer, and generally acting like the single guy he is. I'm honestly not sure which part of it bugs me more--the fact that it assumes part of being female is to change/control/mercilessly nag their mate (my wife certainly doesn't treat me that way!), or that the female in question is assuming the alleged "rights" of a significant other without actually being one (seriously, with all the ragging Luna gave Alex in Saith, I'm somewhat surprise his hand didn't "slip" while catching her jumping on board ship).
+ More sophisticated magic menu, showing what and how much each spell did instead of needing to guess like in TSS; ditto with other items and so on
+ More sophisticated "range" instead of "moves" prevented zigzagging around on the battlefield (although, as with many SSS changes, this actually originated in EB)

- Music made more generic in both complexity and sounds, sometimes downright dopey (Lyton/Blue Dragon Cave), and the single most boring and even ugly piece of Lunar music included from EB (the thud-thud-thud cave music)
- Gaping plothole introduced in that Quark/Luna capture scene

+ Easier to steer Destiny
+ A few small subplots, like the Nota group and the person lost in Zulan
+ Possible to see Lucia's spells and stats under some circumstances, for people who like numbers
I really liked this one you mentioned!:
+ Flashback of Althena being her actual self, not just a retired goddess or a picture
It really helped put the whole "Luna living out her life" thing into perspective for me in a way that "eternally pretty Goddess just like her wall painting" from EB didn't.
+ Complex Zophar battle (I haven't played the original in a while, though, so can't compare easily... I'm just thinking of all the extra arms)
Doesn't matter, though; he hits you more often, but all you do is attack the head (indeed, I found the EB one better since different characters would actually do different things round-to-round as opposed to everybody always taking the same action).
+ Some fun battle voices -- well, some fun running-away voices, like Ronfar's Gambler quote
Ronfar gets the best quotes. I'm rather fond of "Help me out, pretty kitty!"; "Fire is soooo pretty!" and especially "Thank God for miracles!" (though one may ask which God, given that he's supposed to be a priest of Althena...)
EBC cons:
- Less interesting and complex dungeons by far
- Too many Lucia bathing scenes, and rather forced ones at that
True, true...while it nicely demonstrates the whole "Lucia is becoming human instead of viewing her body as merely an organic vessel to carry her magic from place to place" idea, there would be better ways to do it involving less nakedness.
- Some spells less interesting, like Ronfar's Chance Dice
I have to disagree with that one, since (a) I never had enough magic experience to level it up until the epilogue anyway, and (b) the entire idea of using a spell that I don't know what it will do, and which might randomly snuff the party, is something I avoid like the plague.
- Overpowered spells, e.g. Triple Sword
- Red Dragon Anger (and Black Dragon Grief?) still useless
- More boring and easy boss battles

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Yeah, I can understand Chance Dice being aggravating for not knowing what it'll do, but by that criterion Lucia is the most aggravating character ever. ;) And others of his spells do worse predictability-wise. I just liked the idea of lots of different types of effects, with significance commensurate to the dice odds (and with the lower half of the rolls being offense while the upper half is mostly defense)... even though an early use of it killed off my entire party the first time or so that I played EB. But, as I've mentioned other times, Chance Dice really saved me from a super-lengthy battle in the Illusion Woods because of those stupid goblins summoning more of themselves. Had not four of them become poisoned and kicked the bucket all in the same round I'd STILL be fighting that dumb battle; as it was, there were about 40 goblins total involved in it. And nine out of eleven outcomes are positive, to various degrees, with one neutral (7 just "refunds" the MP used) and one low-probability bad outcome; that's not bad, all things considered. It's far worse when Lucia gets dazed and wipes out the party. :P

I also like Chance Dice because there's an error in the guide and most walkthroughs I see regarding the 5 and 6 dice rolls... or is it the 4 and 5? I forget. Anyway, one paralyzes and one puts to sleep. The guide says they do the same thing but one of them fails more often, essentially.

I didn't see Luna as all that whiny and unreasonably possessive. I didn't have the impression that she was playing hard-to-get and such; it was already pretty much certain on the part of both of them that they were a couple, I think. (The Boat Song notwithstanding -- I don't think it really fits with the rest of her character to assume that it's about being uncertain of Alex.) Also, she was the same way in TSS, with giving Alex a hard time about practicing music with another girl in Burg. Again, though, it's been a while since I played SSSC and it might strike me differently now. I don't think Alex is ever "single" at any time we see him.

I didn't just attack Zophar's head. I know that's one strategy, and perhaps the most efficient, but I guess I generally prefer the "completist" approach of knocking out everything else first. Same deal with Borgan.

I take it other things you quotes are things you agreed with?

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

Chance Dice is, hands down, the best spell in any RPG ever conceived.

Will it heal you?
Will it hurt you?
Will it attack your enemies?
Will it attack you?
You don't know!

It was like a gamble every time you cast the spell. It could be the most useful thing, or it could kill off everyone. I used it constantly--even when I already had the upper hand in battle. Made battles so much more fun when you bet it all on a roll of the dice. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

DezoPenguin
Red Dragon Priest

Post by DezoPenguin »

Alunissage wrote:Yeah, I can understand Chance Dice being aggravating for not knowing what it'll do, but by that criterion Lucia is the most aggravating character ever. ;)
True. :) Like I said, I like how you can manipulate her somewhat in EBC (i.e., station her to the far left to tank the enemy monsters so she always Napalm Shots something in the early game...). But the difference with Ronfar is that he could be doing something else for which I know the outcome. In my first battle with Omni-Zophar, I got Hell Waved and the entire party died (derned Ultra Ray pushed them all back onto the spot), and all I had left was Ronfar because of his Angel Wing, so I used Hades Wager for the first and only time; it saved my bacon by bringing back Hiro and his Amazing Phoenix Mail (tm), so I see how it can be handy, but...I just never do anything that could result in random instant party death if I can help it. The way I see it, I'll never get back that last hour-and-a-half of my life since the last save point...

Alunissage wrote:I didn't see Luna as all that whiny and unreasonably possessive. I didn't have the impression that she was playing hard-to-get and such; it was already pretty much certain on the part of both of them that they were a couple, I think. (The Boat Song notwithstanding -- I don't think it really fits with the rest of her character to assume that it's about being uncertain of Alex.) Also, she was the same way in TSS, with giving Alex a hard time about practicing music with another girl in Burg. Again, though, it's been a while since I played SSSC and it might strike me differently now. I don't think Alex is ever "single" at any time we see him.
While I agree with you about the Boat Song (it sounded more like it was about life and her future in general, and partly perhaps some of the Weird Goddessy Singing Stuff she'd been doing once she'd been out adventuring, rather than romance), my problem is that Alex and Luna never really admit in words they're a couple until the very end of either game, when Alex is saving her from Ghaleon. No mutual "I love you"s, no wiseacre remarks by Nall and Ramus about Alex and Luna's last date, and so on. It's clear the feelings are there, and probably even the whole "when we grow up" kind of tacit agreement, but it's not the kind of thing they actually talk about with each other.

To put it another way, if Mel had said to Alex (not while Luna's in the room, mind you), "Harrr, that do be one fine-lookin' girlfriend ya've got there, boy. Reminds me o' me own salad days," Alex would have likely responded with a lot of embarrassed stammering and blushing and "She's not my girlfriend," like a teenage boy would who's flirting around the edge of a relationship, rather than a self-confident, "Yeah, she's really great," the way someone who was actually in an ongoing, stable relationship would.

But Luna's acting like...well, the irritating stereotype of a sitcom housewife. Obviously she's got her own issues, but she's not being direct with Alex, and that isn't a female personality archetype that I like.

Alunissage wrote:I didn't just attack Zophar's head. I know that's one strategy, and perhaps the most efficient, but I guess I generally prefer the "completist" approach of knocking out everything else first. Same deal with Borgan.
The significant difference between Borgan and Zophar is that Borgan's orbs have far fewer HP than Borgan's main body, so you can reduce the pressure on yourself by taking out the various orbs (plus, the healing orb just adds to his total HP, and the shield orb has pretty much the same effect by increasing defense). On the other hand, Zophar's head has the same HP total as the head, so all you're doing by attacking anything else is extending the battle arbitrarily...which is one notable change, I suppose, in EBC, where the assorted hands do have fewer HP...thereby proving your point about why it matters.

Alunissage wrote:I take it other things you quotes are things you agreed with?
Yep!

Dragon Master Lunar81
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by Dragon Master Lunar81 »

DezoPenguin wrote: While I agree with you about the Boat Song (it sounded more like it was about life and her future in general, and partly perhaps some of the Weird Goddessy Singing Stuff she'd been doing once she'd been out adventuring, rather than romance), my problem is that Alex and Luna never really admit in words they're a couple until the very end of either game, when Alex is saving her from Ghaleon. No mutual "I love you"s, no wiseacre remarks by Nall and Ramus about Alex and Luna's last date, and so on. It's clear the feelings are there, and probably even the whole "when we grow up" kind of tacit agreement, but it's not the kind of thing they actually talk about with each other.

To put it another way, if Mel had said to Alex (not while Luna's in the room, mind you), "Harrr, that do be one fine-lookin' girlfriend ya've got there, boy. Reminds me o' me own salad days," Alex would have likely responded with a lot of embarrassed stammering and blushing and "She's not my girlfriend," like a teenage boy would who's flirting around the edge of a relationship, rather than a self-confident, "Yeah, she's really great," the way someone who was actually in an ongoing, stable relationship would.

But Luna's acting like...well, the irritating stereotype of a sitcom housewife. Obviously she's got her own issues, but she's not being direct with Alex, and that isn't a female personality archetype that I like.
I have an idea as to why she may seem that way to you but I don't think that is what they were trying for in the game. Not to stereotype anything but it is actually a widely known fact that Japanese relationships tend not to be direct at all, and in fact are very indirect which may persuade you to believe her as an irritating stereotype when it could just be something that you have not come in experience with. Just throwing this out there! ^_^

lutomboy
Red Dragon Priest

Post by lutomboy »

I liked LUNAR SSS
I like the new anime they inserted and the new characters
I did not like the music that much (except when Luna sang) and I miss the random battles I hade a hard time leveling up

Temzin
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Temzin »

Ah, I can never stay away from the remake topics. This comes up a lot and has already been covered more eloquently by others, so I can just note a rather unremarked-upon point that still gets me:

Eternal Blue vs. Eternal Blue Remake

-This one is so odd for me. Assuming we deal with the Saturn remake which actually has good music quality, it seems like the animation should help it be the best version even if there are too many missing scenes and the loss of Magic EXP hurts. Yet somehow the old Mega CD animation is better-drawn (if not better-animated). SSS's animation scenes were beautiful, but something terrible seems to have happened to Gonzo in the interim, or else the sequel remake was rushed, or something went madly awry elsewhere. What's strange is that the character portrait icons are perfect, but something is completely wrong in the animation scenes:

I'm talking about the characters' faces.

Animation smoothness and detail are of course on par with SSS and better than Mega CD, yet oftentimes the eyes are pointy and strange with ill-defined pupils, and faces in EB remake have this bizarre square, blocky quality (Lunar Hope comparisons often noted this, too) in profile and pointier chins. Let me borrow Rune's pics: look at Ghaleon's face when he vanishes in the original EB and then in the weird square chin version he has, for instance.

http://www.sabrecat.net/ghaleon/images/ghaleon4.gif
http://www.sabrecat.net/ghaleon/archive/ebc/ghal5.jpg

Or: Lucia's new clothes

http://lunar-net.com/eb/screens/1/image ... UE_623.jpg
http://www.rpgdreamer.com/rpgworld/lunar2/lunar2-37.jpg

Or: what happened to poor Hiero's face?

http://rpgfan.com/pics/lunarebr/anime/e ... ime-26.jpg

What's happened here, especially after the gorgeous animation scenes in SSS? This is literally the deal-breaker for EB remake for me. I just can't understand what went wrong. Maybe I'm the only one bothered by this?
aka Maou