Just a hypothetical question...

This board is for general discussion of Lunar. Especially things such as Lunar merchandise, general discussions about the story that span more than one game, etc.
scaryice
Student of Vane
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Just a hypothetical question...

Post by scaryice »

How hard would it be to make a game for the sega cd, based on the Lunar "engine?" If you kept the battle system and look/feel of the original, but came up with all new dialog, graphics, music, characters, enemies and events, how long would do you think it would take to do all that?

I just ask, since I doubt we'll see Lunar 3 any time soon...

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

A long time, depending on the person's skill, and how many are involved, as well as their dedication to it. I would say anywhere from a few months to a couple of years.

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

Benevolent_Ghaleon
BANNED

Post by Benevolent_Ghaleon »

phyco126 wrote:A long time, depending on the person's skill, and how many are involved, as well as their dedication to it. I would say anywhere from a few months to a couple of years.
You're supposed to say it in an upbeat and inspirational way! :evil:

lol...Anyway, if you have the know-how or the motivation to develop the know-how and do it exceptionally well...i fully support it. I'm sure you can. Any accomplishment is an act of sheer will.

DevNall
Blue Dragon Ninja

Re: Just a hypothetical question...

Post by DevNall »

scaryice wrote:How hard would it be to make a game for the sega cd, based on the Lunar "engine?" If you kept the battle system and look/feel of the original, but came up with all new dialog, graphics, music, characters, enemies and events, how long would do you think it would take to do all that?
If you actually went through the trouble of creating all new characters, places, enemies, .etc, it'd probably be comparatively easier to create a new engine than to reuse an existing one. That's not to say it's not doable (it is), but it would be difficult. (You can trust me on that one.)

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

If you're not planning on commercially releasing it (since you're thinking Sega CD, that's probably the case), then you could probably consider another engine that might be easier to program for. Say, creating a SNES ROM for it (like the way ROM Hacks work, but starting more from scratch).

There are already individually-created NES games like that, though most are created within something like the Super Mario Bros. game but with new levels, characters, maps, monsters, etc. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)