I finally found a more unlikely couple.

General talk. News, religion, politics, your daily life, whatever, it goes here. Just keep it clean.
Jenner
Dragonmaster
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

I finally found a more unlikely couple.

Post by Jenner »

I've really been dreading my ability to relate with Kizyr's family once we settle in together. I've been sweating over meeting them all, but he assures me it'll all be okay since I, apparently, have his sister on my side ^^*

Regardless! I think I finally found a couple that will have a more difficult time relating to their perspective future in-laws than Kizyr and I.

The Infamous Jenner!
Maker of Lists.
RIP Coley...
still adore you Kiz.

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Re: I finally found a more unlikely couple.

Post by Kizyr »

That could almost be an analog of me and you.

Anyway, you'll never meet all my family. I've never met all my family. I think I have around 60 first cousins. I lost track of how many nieces and nephews. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

That... is a completely photo hilarious Jenner.

And 60 first cousins Kiz?! That's insane! I have 10, total. Second cousins and stuff gets larger, but dang. 60!
-G1

MiaOne
Dragonmaster

Post by MiaOne »

Wait a bleeping second....did I miss something?
Lunar: Dragon Song sucked

Nicole Reannin Elgan-Moore
We will always remember...

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

Julie - Kizyr and Jenner are engaged.

I have 4 first cousins on my dad's side, and quite a few on my mom's side, though I've only met a few of them.

But 60 is... prolific. At best, I reach half that.

My fiancee is having the same issue as you though, Jenner. I've already met most of her family, because it consists of her immediate family, a couple of uncles, and an aunt and her grown children and grandchildren. For me, it's my family (with 4 children in it), my mom's side, and then my dad's side, which includes great aunts, great uncles, second cousins, and sometimes even more distant relations. Luckily most of them are quite likeable people. So it's easy for me to assure her, but I can understand the fears...

Look at it this way. If they do end up mad at you, you can just bite them in their neck like the tiger. ^_^
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

Ozone
Dragonmaster

Post by Ozone »

MiaOne wrote:Wait a bleeping second....did I miss something?
You missed a lot actually.
"'There are no atheists in foxholes' isn't an argument against atheism, it's an argument against foxholes." - James Morrow
"I'll hit your head with the thunder clap, you're seeing Horus"

exigence
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by exigence »

wow, so up until now i thought it was just a joke that you guys had kept up for a while. Congrats
Last edited by exigence on Fri May 23, 2008 12:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

I was holding off on tendering congratulations until after April Fools' day myself, and then forgot. Consider yourselves congratulated.

Kizyr

Post by Kizyr »

GhaleonOne wrote:That... is a completely photo hilarious Jenner.

And 60 first cousins Kiz?! That's insane! I have 10, total. Second cousins and stuff gets larger, but dang. 60!
Actually I just tried recounting. I have 9 on my father's side (three aunts, one uncle), and I have 24 on my mother's side (5 aunts, 2 uncles). And then there's me and my sister. That ends up being 33-35. A majority of my cousins have children (I think only 13 of us don't yet), and 3 of my cousins' children are older than me (although none of them have kids yet).

Also, the last 5-10 years have seen a lot of new additions to the family. So, I lost track of how many children my cousins have altogether. In our culture, also, cousins' children are considered your own nieces and nephews.

The "60" figure is something I was getting from thinking about the last family photo we took at my cousin's wedding in April. When I was calling everyone up to the stage, I said something like "all 51 of us"--though I was including cousins' spouses and children. Though, that was also only my mother's side, and there were several family members who weren't able to make it.

When I was little and we had to do family trees for school project, I could never find posterboard big enough and I ran out of room.

Jenner, you're gonna have a lot of fun meeting everyone.

We'll take a honeymoon in Bangladesh, so you can meet everyone who might not be able to make it. KF
Last edited by Kizyr on Fri May 23, 2008 2:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Miscounted. Real number is about 33 cousins.
~Kizyr (they|them)

Jenner
Dragonmaster

Post by Jenner »

Kizyr wrote:
GhaleonOne wrote:That... is a completely photo hilarious Jenner.

Actually I just tried recounting. I have 9 on my father's side (three aunts, one uncle), and I have 24 on my mother's side (5 aunts, 2 uncles). And then there's me and my sister. That ends up being 33-35. A majority of my cousins have children (I think only 13 of us don't yet), and 3 of my cousins' children are older than me (although none of them have kids yet).

Also, the last 5-10 years have seen a lot of new additions to the family. So, I lost track of how many children my cousins have altogether. In our culture, also, cousins' children are considered your own nieces and nephews.

The "60" figure is something I was getting from thinking about the last family photo we took at my cousin's wedding in April. When I was calling everyone up to the stage, I said something like "all 51 of us"--though I was including cousins' spouses and children. Though, that was also only my mother's side, and there were several family members who weren't able to make it.

When I was little and we had to do family trees for school project, I could never find posterboard big enough and I ran out of room.

Jenner, you're gonna have a lot of fun meeting everyone.

We'll take a honeymoon in Bangladesh, so you can meet everyone who might not be able to make it. KF
See the honeymoon I'm excited about, 'cause I've never been to a foreign country and I'm sure Bangladesh is beautiful. I'm still nervous about your family. I think a lot of it has to stem from my latent fear of my whiteness around your family. ^^* I have the same concerns regarding my family towards you, but as you well know, I'm not too terribly concerned with what my family thinks. Whereas your family means a lot to you. That's what's making my skin crawl. Deep down, I know it's going to be okay, but I can't help but feel vulnerable and nervous about it.
The Infamous Jenner!
Maker of Lists.
RIP Coley...
still adore you Kiz.

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

If it helps, I completely chickened out regarding my husband's family. We picked a wedding site with a really small people limit so we'd have a reason to not invite his relatives (other than his parents and brothers, of course, and one aunt who flew in from Australia). There are a lot of them, they mostly speak only Chinese, there was a lot of drama and awkwardness at the last family wedding, and my husband doesn't know too many of them anyway. My entire family save for an uncle and two very young cousins was there, though. All 15 of them. (I only have two first cousins, and they're twins.)

A friend of mine who is Indian (but has lived here all her life) married an Englishman. Their friends and her parents are here, her extended family is in India, and his extended family is in England. They had the ceremony and first reception here, then had receptions in England and India a few months later. She got to wear her beautiful wedding dress three times. ^_^

That wouldn't work for my husband and I, though. Due to a weird citizenship situation, it would be very unwise for him to go to Singapore right now, and he may simply never go there again. We do have tentative plans to attend his cousin's wedding in Australia this fall, and except for the aunt I've already met and her husband, I'm rather terrified myself of meeting the folks. Said aunt's husband is white, though, so it's not like I'll be the first non-Chinese family member.

Kizyr

Post by Kizyr »

Alunissage wrote:If it helps, I completely chickened out regarding my husband's family. We picked a wedding site with a really small people limit so we'd have a reason to not invite his relatives (other than his parents and brothers, of course, and one aunt who flew in from Australia). There are a lot of them, they mostly speak only Chinese, there was a lot of drama and awkwardness at the last family wedding, and my husband doesn't know too many of them anyway. My entire family save for an uncle and two very young cousins was there, though. All 15 of them. (I only have two first cousins, and they're twins.)
The only thing is, I still love all my family, most of them are in the United States (about 2/3rds, with a very large number in and around Nashville), and I like big parties and large weddings. It wouldn't feel right to shut anyone out.

A few of my relatives have had multiple ceremonies, depending on the situation. My cousin who just recently got married had the weddings/receptions in Kenya and the US. Another one had the same thing in the US and Morocco. But, considering that I live in the US, it wouldn't make much sense to have separate ceremonies in different places. Too much of an unjustifiable expense.
Jenner wrote:See the honeymoon I'm excited about, 'cause I've never been to a foreign country and I'm sure Bangladesh is beautiful. I'm still nervous about your family. I think a lot of it has to stem from my latent fear of my whiteness around your family. ^^*
Keep in mind you're not the first. It won't be that bad.

Bangladesh is beautiful, but it's also very chaotic. It's not the kind of place you go for vacation if you're not used to traveling outside the country... I think we'll be staying with relatives mostly. We can talk about this later. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Jenner
Dragonmaster

Post by Jenner »

Kizyr wrote:
Jenner wrote:See the honeymoon I'm excited about, 'cause I've never been to a foreign country and I'm sure Bangladesh is beautiful. I'm still nervous about your family. I think a lot of it has to stem from my latent fear of my whiteness around your family. ^^*
Keep in mind you're not the first. It won't be that bad.

Bangladesh is beautiful, but it's also very chaotic. It's not the kind of place you go for vacation if you're not used to traveling outside the country... I think we'll be staying with relatives mostly. We can talk about this later. KF
Staying with relatives? Well then! Make sure they set up the camcorder/webcam for the wedding night. :wink:
The Infamous Jenner!
Maker of Lists.
RIP Coley...
still adore you Kiz.

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Kizyr wrote:The only thing is, I still love all my family, most of them are in the United States (about 2/3rds, with a very large number in and around Nashville), and I like big parties and large weddings. It wouldn't feel right to shut anyone out.
Oh, I wasn't suggesting it -- just commiserating with Jenner on the nervousness of meeting a lot of brand new relatives with, how do I put it, a strong cultural framework very different from mine (also with no language in common with me, but I don't know if that's the case for you guys). That's how I dealt with it, although it wasn't the only reason to keep the wedding small. Also, I think if more of my husband's family lived on this continent and certainly if he'd been close to them we would have invited them, but his parents and brothers are his only family members not in Singapore or Australia.

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Post by Werefrog »

I found a more unlikely couple too.

Too obvious?