Lunar: TSS Remastered Music.

General talk. News, religion, politics, your daily life, whatever, it goes here. Just keep it clean.
WD RPG WD
White Dragon Knight
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Lunar: TSS Remastered Music.

Post by WD RPG WD »

Well since SSSSCC got a new remastered OST and completely ignored the TSS tracks, I'm going to try and do it.

I'm going to try and do as many as I can. Let me know what you think of my first one.

City Of Vane:
http://www.mediafire.com/?mzmj3zbzozd
ADDED 01/13/09
The Sewers under Meribia
http://www.mediafire.com/?fqzdyy3mnyq
Marius Zone
http://www.mediafire.com/?bnjjzmmnnqy
Nanza
http://www.mediafire.com/?emq1xz2mznm
ADDED 01/20/09
TSS Overworld
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3K_T2iAKJw
Last edited by WD RPG WD on Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:55 am, edited 2 times in total.

CatsWithMatches
Red Dragon Priest

Re: Lunar: TSS Remastered Music.

Post by CatsWithMatches »

Love it. Can't wait to hear more.

Dark_Fairy
White Dragon Knight

Post by Dark_Fairy »

That's a beautiful remix WD! The song Vane had in TSS was one of my favorite soundtracks in the game, so it's nice to hear it redone this nicely. I can't wait to hear the rest of your remixes.

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

Yeah, Vane's TSS theme is probably one of my favorite all time Lunar tracks. I like the remix! What might be interesting if you do remaster all the music is inserting them into a game rip to play the game with the remastered music.
-G1

WD RPG WD
White Dragon Knight

Post by WD RPG WD »

Glad you all like it! I'm working on two others right now. Hopefully I'll be done with one before Monday.

And G1, I would have no idea how to insert the music into the game. :x

Nobiyuki77
Legendary Hero

Post by Nobiyuki77 »

Absolutely stellar.

-Nobi

Monde Luna
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by Monde Luna »

I enjoyed listening to it, Merry Christmas to me. =o)

ilovemyguitar
Legendary Hero

Post by ilovemyguitar »

Oh wow, the nostalgia is killing me. I love it!

This also makes me doubly-wish somebody would develop a Mac-compatible Sega CD emulator. I haven't been able to play my Sega CD Lunar games since I made the switch to a Macbook Pro. :cry:

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

You're going to hate me, but I have to be factual and say this is a remix and not a remaster. A remaster is using the "original music only" and fleshing out the tones to make the quality richer and cleaner. This is a total remix even if the same tonality is used but incorporating new instruments.

Nice job though, and it will be interesting to see what else you come up with. I have a challenge for you. Do the White Dragon Cave music from TSS. It's an exceedingly short piece of music, but very powerful.

neovane911
Reza Thief

Post by neovane911 »

I really like it.. good job

WD RPG WD
White Dragon Knight

Post by WD RPG WD »

Thanks for the comments!
Silver Phoenix wrote:You're going to hate me, but I have to be factual and say this is a remix and not a remaster. A remaster is using the "original music only" and fleshing out the tones to make the quality richer and cleaner. This is a total remix even if the same tonality is used but incorporating new instruments.

Nice job though, and it will be interesting to see what else you come up with. I have a challenge for you. Do the White Dragon Cave music from TSS. It's an exceedingly short piece of music, but very powerful.
The first part of the song is a remaster. The 2nd half I'd still lean away from calling it a remix. I didn't change the tempo, key, rythm or any of the notes for that matter. Just changing the instruments to me is still under remastering. It dosnt really matter though. I would just rather be safe and not claim it as MY remix when I didn't add anything too differant. And yes, I do hate you now. :x

As for the White Dragon Cave, it's on my list of songs to do. I love the song. Plus, it's the only song in Lunar history to utilize steel drums. :P

Monde Luna
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by Monde Luna »

WD RPG WD If you started changing the instrumentation at all then it would end up being your arrangement of the piece. So I would agree w/ SP that it is a remix of sorts. Either way it sounds great.

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

I'm sorry you hate me, but as the Master Lord Silver Phoenix of classic Lunar music I have to tell you that the music you incorporated is different from nearly the start even though it follows the same tempo. I hate to be nitpicky, but you're using different tones because of the instruments used. I also hear a lot of bass from your end, and City of Vane uses very low level bass. I'm also listening to the songs back to back, and switching between the tracks after each small piece for reference. I like some of the new transitions you've used in your "REMIX." :mrgreen:

I told you that you did a good job, but you're not working with an orchestra and the same instruments so obviously there is going to be major differences. Sadly it just isn't a remaster. Now stop hating and keep up the good work! Are you using a synthesizer by chance? If you're using anything midi it's going to eff it up because the tones will never be exact even if they are very close. It sounds as though some of the synthesized tones may be nearly correct. I grew up in a music family so I have the ears (and eyes) for detail.

I'm looking forward to your masterwork rendition of the White Dragon Cave.

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

I think it's because WD just has really bad associations with the term "remix". KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Monde Luna
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by Monde Luna »

I can understand that because I’m generally not a fan of remixes. However he can coin it his orchestration or arrangement w/o it sounding negative.

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

I love a good remix. There's a good techno remix of Saria's Song from LoZ:OoT and regardless of how a song sounds originally it can be interpreted in any way imaginable.

I'm sorry to hear about WD's remix affliction. "It burns, IT BURNS!"

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Silver Phoenix wrote:If you're using anything midi it's going to eff it up because the tones will never be exact even if they are very close. It sounds as though some of the synthesized tones may be nearly correct.
Depends on the source of the MIDI. I'm certain that the Roland SoundCanvas card in my old desktop would be able to generate an exact version of at least some of the TSS music; I have a .mid of the battle music somewhere that sounded identical when played on the SCC, and I recognized the voice used in the Goddess Tower the first time I played the game. While I didn't pay much attention to what was going on with sequencing and such, I do remember hearing repeatedly that the Roland MT-32 (which was included in the SCC) was very popular and highly-regarded in the early 90s, when the Lunar music would have been composed.

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

Yeah, you mentioned the Roland before and there would be identical samples in the older model synths. I would assume WD is using some newer stuff, so it's more likely that the samples are changed.

WD RPG WD
White Dragon Knight

Post by WD RPG WD »

Sorry, I've worked over 60 hours this week so I havn't had much time to get my next song done. It is sounding pretty good but it will be a few more days.

I hate calling my songs Remixes because Im not changing them enough from the original. Go to OCRemix and listen to the Lunar remixes there and you'll see the differance.

SP, I use virtual synths like Kontakt 4 and Philharmonik and use them as plugins with Cakewalk's Sonar 7. It has been the most versitile way of composing I've found.

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but unless the source material is exactly the same with high fidelity it's going to be different. One note can change the whole composition. We don't have to call it a remix, but it will be an arrangement because it has been altered. If anything, you should be proud that you added your touch to the original.