War in Iraq?

General talk. News, religion, politics, your daily life, whatever, it goes here. Just keep it clean.
Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Post by Sonic# »

JWL wrote:
Alunissage wrote:Also, I don't see how talks in 2001 of invading Iraq conflict with the possibility that the 2003 SotU address mentioned only the more politically palatable reasons for doing so. (I'm only going by what you said regarding the address; I don't remember it.) But I'm not saying any of this to get into an argument; I just wanted to point out that politics is PR and you have to consider that the reasons a politician gives for an action are not necessarily the whole story.
Well, if you know the "real" reason for the Iraq War, then by all means, enlighten us. You seem to possess some arcane knowledge obtained via a mysterious process. If you know the real reasons for other wars, too - especially World War II and the Civil War - I'm all ears.
Let's tone down the temperature just a little bit, JWL.

As for the content of that, I don't think she was suggesting that she knows the reason. Actually, it sounds like she knows she doesn't know the reasons, but knows that the reasons out there are inadequate and may be to some other purpose. Alunissage can correct you and me on that point.
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

JWL
Red Dragon Priest

Post by JWL »

Sonic# wrote:Let's tone down the temperature just a little bit, JWL.
Uh, I'm not mad or anything. You'll know if I'm mad. Believe me. Ask anyone who knows me from RPGFan; it's not very hard to tell when I'm angry.

I'm asking a question. If giving phony reasons for war is a typical political manuever, then what was the real reason for the Iraq War? And since this is common, what were the real reasons for other wars in which the same strategy was used? Considering that Alunissage jumped in here because she felt obligated to point this out, I would have thought that she might have some idea about what the real reason for the war is.
Sonic# wrote:As for the content of that, I don't think she was suggesting that she knows the reason. Actually, it sounds like she knows she doesn't know the reasons, but knows that the reasons out there are inadequate and may be to some other purpose. Alunissage can correct you and me on that point.
Hey, fine. Maybe then she can just point out historically when phony reasons have been given for wars, and how that might apply to the current war as well.

But if she can help me out and tell me the real reason for the Iraq War, too, I'll be very grateful. I'm genuinely curious.