common sense is steadily phasing out

General talk. News, religion, politics, your daily life, whatever, it goes here. Just keep it clean.
Benevolent_Ghaleon
BANNED
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

common sense is steadily phasing out

Post by Benevolent_Ghaleon »

http://wii.ign.com/articles/755/755951p1.html

Why are people so stupid? The Nintendo Wii is nice and i'm calling at 7AM daily to get one, but i wouldn't do something this ignorant.

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

It's on account of the fact that neither the contestants nor the organizers of the contest were really aware of "water intoxication". They probably figured it'd be really uncomfortable, but didn't understand the health risks of 'holding it in' for a long time, plus drinking too much water. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Benevolent_Ghaleon
BANNED

Post by Benevolent_Ghaleon »

I always thought that it fell into common sense that there can ALWAYS be too much of something. Nothing physically tangible is excused from that.

A Real Horrorshow BAMF
Meribian Merchant

Post by A Real Horrorshow BAMF »

That has got to be the stupidest thing I've ever witnessed...WHY?!?! I would so much rather wait in line or fight on eBay and pay the amount than risk my LIFE! Nothing is worth my life, no not even a Nintendo Wii.

The headline IS funny though "Hold your wee for a Wii" ahh..classic stupidity.

Angelalex242
Legendary Hero

Post by Angelalex242 »

I don't know why they call it 'common' sense.

It's the most uncommon thing in the world.

Obviously.
Don't blame me, Lucia promised me lots of snuggles and cuddles if I would be her PR guy.

A Real Horrorshow BAMF
Meribian Merchant

It's not so much that it's UNCOMMON, so much as it is that people don't USE it..it is very much common you just have to look around in places other than media, cause all you'll see on tv, movies, news and magazines is a lack of common sense. :?

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

Actually, contests like that are frequent. It just depends on the radio station. Some do eating nacho's off a big hairy man. Others do milk drinking contests. Some do hotdog eating contests. Pie eating contests, hamburger eating contest... America is all about food type contests. It's not as stupid and rare as one might think.

The problem with water is that people don't realize that it is possible to drown my drinking way too much water. It doesn't help that since we are born, we are pushed to drink water as much as we can. Since water is THE MOST important thing to our life, we hardly consider drinking too much of it as a risk. This is what make Ecstasy so dangerous, it made people think they where dehydrated when in fact they where filling up with dangerous amounts of water.

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

It doesn't help that since we are born, we are pushed to drink water as much as we can.
It sure as hell doesn't hurt. Just because one person overdosed on water doesn't mean it shouldn't be pushed. Most people don't even come close to drinking enough water. It's replaced with pop (yes, I said POP you soda loving freaks) and other stuff.
-G1

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

A Real Horrorshow BAMF wrote:That has got to be the stupidest thing I've ever witnessed...WHY?!?! I would so much rather wait in line or fight on eBay and pay the amount than risk my LIFE! Nothing is worth my life, no not even a Nintendo Wii.
That's the thing, though... she, and the contest organizers, had no idea that she was risking her life. It probably seemed an easy enough thing to do... well, not easy, but not serious. I'm sure everyone thought their bodies would take over and let go involuntarily before reaching a danger point, if they thought about it at all.

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

GhaleonOne wrote:
It doesn't help that since we are born, we are pushed to drink water as much as we can.
It sure as hell doesn't hurt. Just because one person overdosed on water doesn't mean it shouldn't be pushed. Most people don't even come close to drinking enough water. It's replaced with pop (yes, I said POP you soda loving freaks) and other stuff.
You misunderstand me my friend. What I meant was it doesn't help that we are pushed to drink as much water as we can, but we are never taught about the dangers of drinking too much too fast. While a lot of people never get the appropiate amount of water, it shouldn't hurt to teach of the dangers of drinking too much.

Blue_Sycro
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Blue_Sycro »

It's replaced with pop (yes, I said POP you soda loving freaks)

Hee hee, pop... :o

Anyway, it's true that these things aren't very uncommon. They're still stupid, but no not rare. Even though I'm sure these people didn't realize they were putting themselves in danger, I'll bet there's still plenty of people who would've gone through with it even if they did know.

Next there'll be a salt-eating contest...

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Haha, I eat salt as a snack now and again. A friend of mine gave me flavored rock salt at my bridal shower (though I prefer plain). I wouldn't recommend it to everyone, though, and wouldn't eat it in mass quantities, as in a contest.

DevNall
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by DevNall »

GhaleonOne wrote:It's replaced with pop (yes, I said POP you soda loving freaks) and other stuff.
No, no, it's Coke. Even if it's not Coca-cola.

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

phyco126 wrote:The problem with water is that people don't realize that it is possible to drown my drinking way too much water. It doesn't help that since we are born, we are pushed to drink water as much as we can. Since water is THE MOST important thing to our life, we hardly consider drinking too much of it as a risk. This is what make Ecstasy so dangerous, it made people think they where dehydrated when in fact they where filling up with dangerous amounts of water.
That's true. It's rather arrogant to think that it's "common sense" to know just how much water is too much. Phyco really has a point here... the risks of dehydration are pretty obvious and common sense, but the risks of consuming two gallons of water in an hour is not common sense.

Seriously, anyone who says that 2 gallons of water = too much to drink is common sense is lying. It's easy to say she should've known better because we have the benefit of hindsight, but up-front, 2 gallons seems like a real innocuous thing.

It's not comparable to most other instances of over/underconsumption. Eating too much is something that people understand (and things like a gag reflex, or a 'full' feeling, are familiar and inhibit overconsumption). But the physical effects of drinking too much water are very unfamiliar to your average person. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

My first experience with over drinking came when a seed of really hot chilie peppers got stuck on a spot on my throat. I couldn't get the seed out, and it burned worse than anything I ever experienced. I ended up drinking so much in a couple of minutes that I threw it all back up instantly when my stomach got too full to handle the water.

Like Kiz said, it's really not common sense that drinking too much water can kill you. I never knew that actually until high school when ecstasy hit the news.

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

You misunderstand me my friend. What I meant was it doesn't help that we are pushed to drink as much water as we can, but we are never taught about the dangers of drinking too much too fast. While a lot of people never get the appropiate amount of water, it shouldn't hurt to teach of the dangers of drinking too much.
Oh no, I didn't mean to make it sound like you shouldn't teach the dangers of drinking too much water. I only meant that you shouldn't neglect the advantages of drinking enough water. So many people don't get enough water, and what water they do get it through drinks like soda/pop and such, which does little good. Not to mention the more salt you intake, the harder it is to flush it out, especially when you consider how much salt is in everything. It's hard to find something that isn't going to make you go way over the recommended sodium intake, so drinking enough water will definitely help a great deal.
-G1

Mog Dragonheart
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Mog Dragonheart »

From what I'm getting isn't the reason she died because her sodium levels were too low to handle the huge water intake?

Blue_Sycro
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Blue_Sycro »

Well, after a certain point no one would have the sodium to counter all the water if they drank too much of it. Someone once described it to me as "drowning", which obviously isn't meant literally, but it makes sense in a way.

Mog Dragonheart
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Mog Dragonheart »

Yeah, this really hasn't anything to do with common sense.

It's been said and I'll say it again. Of course too much of something is obviously bad, fact of the matter nobody associates too much water with death. That in fact is probably rare in itself.

A Real Horrorshow BAMF
Meribian Merchant

It's people like the radio show hosts that make America the country with the worse obesity problem. I'm moving to Europe, anyone wanna come?? :D