Missing Japan...

General talk. News, religion, politics, your daily life, whatever, it goes here. Just keep it clean.
AnimeJei
Red Dragon Priest
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Missing Japan...

Post by AnimeJei »

Just wanna talk about Japan.. I miss being there so much. It was the greatest time I have had. Anyone living there, from there, or visited? I "lived" there for three months at the end of 2002/beginning of 2003. I miss the people, karaoke, foods..everything! Anyway, wondering if anyone else has the same illness as me..lol.
Image"Sample my goods!!"

Nall.TWK
Lostest Boy

Post by Nall.TWK »

I'd like to go there. I really would like to learn the language, also. I think it's cool. it sounds like a neat place to be.
君と私でヒューヒューあつい鼓動刻んだら可愛い猫耳つけて二人でゴロゴロしましょう♪

Benevolent_Ghaleon
BANNED

Post by Benevolent_Ghaleon »

People act like Japan is 10 years in the future or something. what really sets it apart so much?

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

Benevolent_Ghaleon wrote:People act like Japan is 10 years in the future or something. what really sets it apart so much?
A lot of things set Japan apart from the rest of the world. Just, not all of them are good things. Anyone who has this overly-rosy picture of Japan obviously has had a very limited experience with the country and its people.

Like any other country, it has its good points, and its bad points. And I get real irritated when folks start viewing it unrealistically.

I might make a longer post depending on my mood later today. But I just wanted to respond to that comment, 'cause it does bring up one of my pet peeves. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Post by Werefrog »

Kizyr wrote: A lot of things set Japan apart from the rest of the world. Just, not all of them are good things. Anyone who has this overly-rosy picture of Japan obviously has had a very limited experience with the country and its people.
That reminded of this <a href=http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2002/09/13> Penny-Arcade</a> It's pretty much the opposite of what you're describing. Also this is actually one of the few Penny-Arcade strips that his no foul language.

ilovemyguitar
Legendary Hero

Post by ilovemyguitar »

Before I was born, my parents lived in Okinawa for a while on the Army base there. Beyond that, I don't really have much to contribute to this conversation, haha. I just wanted to share. :-P

AnimeJei
Red Dragon Priest

Post by AnimeJei »

For the longest time I have wanted to visit there and I was lucky to have my dream come true for 3 months. It's not just because of the games, technology, anime..but I also like the culture and traditions, it all interest me. I met a lot of friends there and I think I got along with them far more better than my fellow american co-worker/friends. I just felt really at home and even felt okay to travel all over alone while friends were at school/work. It's not for everyone but it was a great experience and I can't wait to go back and see friends and explore more of Japan. I was in Osaka, Kyoto, Nara, and Hokkaido (mostly Sapporo area). Not all is perfect... they don't have slurpees in the 7 elevens there...
Image"Sample my goods!!"

Kizyr

Post by Kizyr »

Ok anyway... I was in Japan for two months in 1999, and again for about five months in 2004. The last time I was there was the best, because I could understand what was going on, communicate with people, etc.

There are a lot of things I did enjoy. Some of the great things are the country-wide transportation infrastructure and how you can pretty much go anywhere via mass transit. Also I pretty much went out for karaoke with my friends every week or so, and did a fair bit of traveling (college in Japan is ridiculously easy by comparison to the US, the only hard part is getting in).

Anyway, there are a lot of things I don't like... There's a lot of xenophobia and hostility towards foreigners, for one. People are generally very nice, but stuff changes when 1) you're not white, 2) you're staying there for a longer duration of time, or 3) when you're actually living and working there. I got to know a lot of non-white non-Japanese people living there who have to constantly deal with crap from the authorities or from other people living there--some of these folks were even born in Japan and lived there all their life. It's also irritating when you're the only one of your friends who can't get a part-time job because people assume your English isn't as good on account of you not being white. But, I digress...

I'm also not very fond of the way that media and politics are run... It's like there's too much stagnation and hostility to change. Media in particular is run very "club-style" so that most every outlet reports on the same thing. But, in all honesty, I still think it's better than the 24-hour news networks here. And, yeah, regarding politics, I'm just generally suspicious of a system that's kept one party in power for 50 years running.

And the reason I'd never want to work in Japan long-term is because of the way that a lot of jobs end up being, as in forcing long hours and little vacation time. Maybe short-term, one or two years, if my company offered me a temporary transfer to our Tokyo office, but otherwise I wouldn't want to go for it. Not to mention that I believe the whole overtime business culture is what contributes to things like gender discrimination.

Anyway, before I get to rambling, I gotta add a few really important things. First, I'd still maintain that something like 90% of Japanese are really great and friendly; I never had a seriously bad experience with any one person in particular (although I have overheard a few not-too-nice conversations on the train). It's only that extra 10% that's bothersome, and that's like everywhere. And, there are still a lot of great things about the country. The only thing is, it's not perfect, and there are some serious problems in the country--most of which the average person won't encounter unless they've been there for a long duration of time. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Benevolent_Ghaleon
BANNED

being white helps? awesome! :D

:lol:

i'm sure i'd meet a bit of that 10%. i've offended people on days that upon waking i told myself i wouldn't. didn't mean to. just happened. lol.

AnimeJei
Red Dragon Priest

Post by AnimeJei »

Also, if you are english speaking many there will try their english on you.. it may or may not be annoying to you. There were a few times I was treated rudely, especially while on the train but I get that on the NYC subway. But overall it was a great experience.. now living there and working there.. I am told by all my friends there how hard, stressful, and different it is and I can't argue as I wouldn't know till one has actually done that. But nonetheless, great place to visit and can't wait to go back.
Image"Sample my goods!!"

linkcj
Meribian Merchant

Post by linkcj »

I spent part of my senior year of high school in Japan, with 2 separate host families.

But I came back to graduate from my American school since most foreign diplomas and degrees and such aren't worth the paper on which they are written.

I had a blast my entire time there. But I totally see what everyone else is saying about the potential negative things as well.

Got a lot of attention from the girls since I am white (or mostly white I guess I should say) and American (double bonus points), so I was a happy boy. :lol:

Kizyr

Post by Kizyr »

linkcj wrote:Got a lot of attention from the girls since I am white (or mostly white I guess I should say) and American (double bonus points), so I was a happy boy. :lol:
Yeah, I remember one or two people who managed to pull that card... Although the only reason he was able to get any woman to talk to him was because he was American (his Japanese wasn't so hot either), so folks usually made fun of him behind his back. Not that I'm condoning that, but... it's kind of to be expected.

The thing is, maybe 90% of people will treat you equally if you're non-Japanese (they may also exhibit more patience if you're having trouble understanding them or being understood, at that). Among the other 10%, pretty much what I've found is that you'll either be treated really well, or as an inferior. If you're white, you tend to get both. If you're not white, it tends to be all or mostly all inferior treatment from that remaining small minority--that goes double if you're actually living and working there. Just from casual observation, I'd say blacks, Filipinos, and Koreans living in Japan probably have to put up with the most crap.

Similarly, this is why I really don't like it when I hear people using the term 'gaijin', unless it's used in reference to racism or discrimination itself. It's usually coming from people who are pretty clueless about issues of race in Japan (or in the US, for that matter).
AnimeJei wrote:Also, if you are english speaking many there will try their english on you.. it may or may not be annoying to you.
It bothered me at first, but then I realized I was being unreasonable. There really is no reason to be bugged by that--if I were Japanese, I'd want to try every occasion I had to practice English with someone.

The only time it's really irritating is if I ask a question to someone in Japanese and they respond in broken English (which I can't understand).

It's also fun when random kids say hello to you.

Stranger: ...Hallo!
Me: ...namaste ::bows::
Stranger: ...??? KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

MogTheMoogle
Meribian Merchant

Post by MogTheMoogle »

I'm currently learning Japanese in school and planning to go there with my class before graduating, but man I suck at learning the language. My friend (who is [beyond] a straight A student) pretty much learned everything from year 1 to year 4 in one whole year (studies in his free time, learns from other otakus, etc.). He's really crazy about Japanese, I'm hoping he goes with me on the trip so I can have him around as a translator. XD

But yes, Japan is an interesting place.
Holy karp, a Lunar: SSSC video walkthrough!
http://www.youtube.com/my_playlists?p=63A45604406446EE

AnimeJei
Red Dragon Priest

Post by AnimeJei »

linkcj wrote:Got a lot of attention from the girls since I am white (or mostly white I guess I should say) and American (double bonus points), so I was a happy boy. :lol:
hehe, same here and my gf was always getting PO'ed at this...she seemed to see it more than me.. especially when we were on a empty train and this "kogal" came aboard and could sit anywhere but decided to sit across from us, facing us..lol. But maybe she liked my gf..lol..it's all good fun though. I guess the best thing when going there is keep your mind open and willing to learn things and not to take things too personal as it's a different "world".

Did anyone else love kaitensushi? I wish they had that here in FL. I had my own routine there, places I would shop otften for groceries.. I have a club discount card for Izumiya still and a card for Tsutaya. I loved the little Saizeriya restaurant there and hung out there a lot. And I spent too much time at karaoke.. there was a karaoke box chain.. I forget what it was called.. I wanna say "Jambo" but I'm not sure. I even got hooked on some dramas while there. Just talking about Japan brings me to my happy place :lol:
Image"Sample my goods!!"

Benevolent_Ghaleon
BANNED

i overheard that the age of consent in japan is 13. please tell me that isn't true...if so, that's disgusting.

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

I'm pretty sure that's true, I recall hearing the same thing.

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

AnimeJei
Red Dragon Priest

Post by AnimeJei »

Yep it's true.. and as many know they have problems with pervs there too. In the graveyard near where I lived there they had a beware of hentai sign up to warn the many people who go through there even during the night...
Image"Sample my goods!!"

Kizyr

Post by Kizyr »

AnimeJei wrote:Yep it's true.. and as many know they have problems with pervs there too. In the graveyard near where I lived there they had a beware of hentai sign up to warn the many people who go through there even during the night...
"Beware of Hentai" in Japanese makes no sense.

You probably saw a sign such as "痴漢注意" or something similar. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Nall.TWK
Lostest Boy

Post by Nall.TWK »

hentai means pervert. beware of perverts would make more sense. but that's disturbing to think that they'd actually have to put up a sign like that. that'd be one thing I wouldn't like about japan. But then, there are many perverts in the US also.
I still like a lot of other things about Japan. I remember reading somewhere they have a pretty low crime rate. But I've also wondered if they're more strict there, and if working there, would employers be a lot more demanding. I like japan, but have reasons for not planning to live there. I'd like to visit though.
I'm currently learning Japanese in school and planning to go there with my class before graduating, but man I suck at learning the language. My friend (who is [beyond] a straight A student) pretty much learned everything from year 1 to year 4 in one whole year (studies in his free time, learns from other otakus, etc.). He's really crazy about Japanese, I'm hoping he goes with me on the trip so I can have him around as a translator. XD
I try to learn the language on my spare time, but I don't have much spare time. and it's pretty difficult, so I know how you feel. I might get back into it later on. so far I know the whole hiragana and katakana characters, and I know how they say most english words using katakana(like Nall = Naru ナル ). But I'd like to get more into grammer, and kanji.
君と私でヒューヒューあつい鼓動刻んだら可愛い猫耳つけて二人でゴロゴロしましょう♪

AnimeJei
Red Dragon Priest

Post by AnimeJei »

But everyone gets the idea.. I have a nasty habbit of using english and romanji together (when writing). :shock: Yeah, very disturbing.. my Japanese friends tell me some disturbing stories.. especially some of my female friends.. but yeah, no place is safe and I still love Japan.
Image"Sample my goods!!"