Mac laptops...

General talk. News, religion, politics, your daily life, whatever, it goes here. Just keep it clean.
DevNall
Blue Dragon Ninja
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Re: Mac laptops...

Post by DevNall »

exigence wrote:i really like mine a lot, its my first mac but i like it a lot more than windows. The only thing i miss is Microsoft word, right now i'm using open office and the version i have is a little buggy hopefully they'll fix it, its really not a bad program.
You know Microsoft makes Office for Mac (Word+Excel+PowerPoint), right? You can get it on Amazon for about $120 or so, plus every once and a while they'll offer a rebate on top of that.
GhaleonOne wrote:Still gotta get used to the one-mouse button though.
Just FYI that you can get a right-click by pushing "control" when you click. Not as optimal, though.

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

Yeah, I was pretty sure there was a button to press, but it would still be easier to have a right click. That's really my only complaint though. I'm quite happy with the laptop. I'm just debating on getting CS3 now, or waiting for CS4.
-G1

Dragonmaster Lou
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Dragonmaster Lou »

GhaleonOne wrote:Yeah, I was pretty sure there was a button to press, but it would still be easier to have a right click. That's really my only complaint though. I'm quite happy with the laptop. I'm just debating on getting CS3 now, or waiting for CS4.
I hear CS4 is coming out either late this month or early next month. I know I'm waiting on CS4 before buying it for my wife.
"Guts can turn a 30% chance into a 100% chance!" - Taiga Kohtarou
Personal home page: http://www.techhouse.org/~lou
Lunar page: http://www.techhouse.org/~lou/lunar/
AMV page: http://www.tealstudios.com

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

Yeah, I think Monday is the conference. I know it's this coming week. Besides the obvious web design usage, I'm interested to see if they've upgraded Photomerge anymore. I've taken to panorama photography heavily, and the jump in that feature from CS2 to CS3 was great. I'm hoping they improve it even more.
-G1

DevNall
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by DevNall »

Dragonmaster Lou wrote:
GhaleonOne wrote:Yeah, I was pretty sure there was a button to press, but it would still be easier to have a right click. That's really my only complaint though. I'm quite happy with the laptop. I'm just debating on getting CS3 now, or waiting for CS4.
I hear CS4 is coming out either late this month or early next month. I know I'm waiting on CS4 before buying it for my wife.
Speaking of which, CS4 was just announced on adobe's website. No specific release date that I can see, but their store lists "by late October" for Flash.

Out of curiosity, are you guys buying a few individual pieces or one of 'package deals'?

Dragonmaster Lou
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Dragonmaster Lou »

Package deal in my case. The spousal overunit needs Illustrator, Photoshop, and InDesign at the very least (and Dreamweaver would also be helpful for her).
"Guts can turn a 30% chance into a 100% chance!" - Taiga Kohtarou
Personal home page: http://www.techhouse.org/~lou
Lunar page: http://www.techhouse.org/~lou/lunar/
AMV page: http://www.tealstudios.com

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

Yeah, I'll be getting some kind of package... mainly just need Photoshop, Dreamweaver and Flash. Would be nice to get Premiere and After Effects but I won't pay extra for those if there's not a good package with them.
-G1

DevNall
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by DevNall »

CS4 is apparently now available.

As are new Mac laptops.

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

Actually, quick question. I'm planning on getting an external hard drive to store all my photography on. I'm finding I'm eating up tons and tons of space nowadays, so I need to do something about it. Problem is, I need to be able to go back and forth between my Mac laptop and my PC. Is it as simple as plug-and-play into both Mac OS and Windows XP, much like using an SD card or USB memory stick? Or is it a bit more difficult with a hard drive?
-G1

DevNall
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by DevNall »

Shouldn't be a problem as long as you make sure to format the drive FAT32.

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

? Does apple not use NTSF?

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

DevNall
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by DevNall »

phyco126 wrote:? Does apple not use NTSF?
I assume you mean NTFS, which Mac OS X does not use for its own disks but it does have some support for. (Apple uses HFS+ and ZFS.)

NTFS is generally not a good choice for drives you're going to share among multiple computers, much less ones running different operating systems. FAT32 is the standard for that, and it's what USB flash drives and such use by default.

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

DevNall wrote:
phyco126 wrote:? Does apple not use NTSF?
I assume you mean NTFS, which Mac OS X does not use for its own disks but it does have some support for. (Apple uses HFS+ and ZFS.)

NTFS is generally not a good choice for drives you're going to share among multiple computers, much less ones running different operating systems. FAT32 is the standard for that, and it's what USB flash drives and such use by default.
Gah, NTFS, yeah.

Interesting, learned something today I guess. I always wondered why FAT32 was still used in flash drives...

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

DevNall
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by DevNall »

Aside from the technical reasons, some aspects of NTFS are considered secret by Microsoft and it costs a lot more if you want to use it.

Anyway, any opinions on CS4?

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

Still haven't gotten it. After seeing the price, I'm considering looking into CS3 on Ebay. However, I'm wary about ending up with a non-legit version or something. Anyone have any experience with picking up Adobe stuff on Ebay? I've known a few people in the past that got their Adobe stuff that way. Just curious if anyone here has done it?
-G1