Go USA!

General talk. News, religion, politics, your daily life, whatever, it goes here. Just keep it clean.
GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Go USA!

Post by GhaleonOne »

So, like most American's, you probably haven't heard that the US of A is playing in the Confederations Cup in South Africa right now and has just completed likely the biggest win in the history of US soccer today. What is the Confederations Cup? It's a soccer tournament that is held the summer before the World Cup in the WC's host country. That being South Africa, Africa's first chance at hosting the tournament. As it is a warm-up tournament, there are only two groups of four. The champion from each region (USA-NA, Spain-Europe, Brasil-SA, Egypt-Africa, Iraq-Asia, New Zealand-Oceana), the host of the tournament (South Africa), and the World Cup winners (Italy).

Well, we were given the so-called "group of death". World Champion's, Italy, the one team everyone fears in a soccer tournament, Brasil, and the African champs, Egypt (much better team than people would expect). The other group was far easier, at least for Spain, who are considered the best in the world at the moment. Or were.

So the US played Italy a bit over a week ago in the first game, came out in the first half with a shock 1-0 lead, got a red card, and lost 3-1 in the end. Then we were blown out by the Brazilians (while the Italians were upset 1-0 by Egypt). So that brought us to Sunday's matchups. We were given the task of fulfilling near impossible odds to make it out of the group. Basically, the Brazilians had to manhandle Italy, and we had to do the same to Egypt. We needed to make up a 6 goal deficit on Italy, and at least 3 on Egypt. We beat Egypt 3-0 and Brasil beat Italy 3-0, making it perhaps one of the most historic moments in US football, and enough to have made you a rich man had you bet on the US making it out. For all that effort (and luck, considering the Egyptians were injury-riddled and Italy just sucked it up against Brazil) who do we get in the semi-finals? Spain. The #1 ranked team in the world.

And what happens? Earlier today, we pulled out a 2-0 win over Spain. That's a MAJOR upset for the US. And it also puts us the farthest we've ever gone in a major international tournament. The finals. We've also always had trouble beating a top team on foreign soil. Just beat that little problem too. Now, tomorrow, Brasil plays South Africa in the other semi-final. In the likelihood that Brasil beats them, we will be playing Brasil in the final.

So if you want to support your country, the final is Sunday afternoon at 2:30 eastern time. (on ESPN, ESPN2 or ABC... probably ESPN) If it is Brasil, I think they'll be even tougher than Spain personally. Spain had only beaten top European teams to get their #1 ranking, and had never been tested against attack-minded superpowers from South America like Brasil or Argentina. Most teams play Spain with a very defensive approach, and rely on a lucky counter-attack to win. I always wondered if a team really attacked Spain that they might show defensive lapses, and they did. Spain has the best midfield in the world, and probably one of the top two or three attacking lines in the world and certainly had an off-day today. But their defense has some weakspots. Brasil is another story, though one of their two center backs is out with injury. However, it will be a major test for us, and I hope this win over Spain generates some fan support for the national team going into the World Cup next year. Lets just hope we give Brasil a good game Sunday.
-G1

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Re: Go USA!

Post by Kizyr »

Oh man, that sounds pretty amazing.

It would've been better if we'd beaten the Italians. Of course, I like it whenever anyone beats Italy. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Aquaignis
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Aquaignis »

That's amazing! Almost enough for me to get into football! lol, jk...Really, this is great for USA, not just for the team. I really hope that America gives their opponent for a run-for-the-money at least, like, i dunno 2-4? I hope that this becomes a platform for real American interest in football :!:
Some of the answers in this post are made of frozen lose with whipped failsauce topping and suck sprinkles......

Guild_Premier_Ghaleon
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Guild_Premier_Ghaleon »

Lmao, yeah, I counted them out early and was going to start rooting for Egypt in the U.S.' stead. Was very surprised at such an upset.
"Perhaps you should demonstrate the power which gives you such confidence. Then we shall see who is fit to be supreme ruler, and who... is dead!"

Blue_Sycro
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Blue_Sycro »

Man, this is amazing. When they lost to Italy and then Brazil in a row like that, I figured it was over. I had a little more hope when they beat Egypt 3-0 but I didn't even bother watching the Spain game because, come on, it's Spain. And this was the USA. I figured they were done. Definitely watching on Sunday. Let's go States!

Sonix
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Sonix »

I watched the USA vs Spain game I have to say USA played amazing. And the motivation they had, they seriously played from their heart. A well deserved win. Now only South Africa has to win and we will have really surprising finals, USA vs South Africa :D
"And yet, I've realized that maybe living a "decent" life means you won't ever have a "good" life."

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

Well, Brasil won 3-2, but it was a great game to watch. We really outplayed them in the first half, but that samba style started showing it's life in the second half. I must say, I really didn't like the substitute decisions by the US coach. Taking off a versatile center midfielder (Fielhaber) for an MLS left fullback to be thrown in midfield was retarded. At least put on Torres or even Adu at that point and go for it. Brasil has always been my favorite team, but today I rooted against them.
-G1