Power of the Dark Crystal

Your general non-gaming entertainment thread.
AlasdairPalemoon
Red Dragon Priest
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Power of the Dark Crystal

Post by AlasdairPalemoon »

I have to admit I was skeptical when I first heard about this sequel (and the comic that's supposed to be coming out, as well, from Tokyopop), but when I heard who was getting on it, my hopes have risen. I mean, Genndy Tartakovsky, for one. I loved Clone Wars and enjoyed Samurai Jack. The original concept artist, Brian Froud, is back on, too, and it's being co-written by David Odell, who worked on the first movie.

I still am slightly skeptical, but at least I'm also excited, too. I'm probably just being weird :)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0460907/

Pisces
Threadkiller

Post by Pisces »

I'm really hoping I'll enjoy it. Dark Crystal was one of my favorite childhood movies. Yay, urSkeks!
"Let man's petty nations tear themselves apart; my land's only borders lie around my heart."

-Tim Rice, from the song "Anthem" in the musical Chess

Roas Atrades
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Roas Atrades »

I actually rented the origina DC on DVD a few months back, and it still held up. Yeah, it was definitely kiddy, but being one of my all time favorite childhood things (my mom went insane from the amount of times I asked her to read me the kids book version when I was a little kid) I cherish it dearly.

When I heard about this last year, my skepticism was immediately dashed when Henson studios signed on Tartakovsky. The magic of the Henson studios plus Tartakovsky can only breed good things.
Free your mind and let your dreams fly, -me

AlasdairPalemoon
Red Dragon Priest

Post by AlasdairPalemoon »

Heh, the oddity with me is that I didn't see the movie until several months ago. Surely, I heard about it from others and there were other Hensen produced movies and shows I loved. But even as an adult I enjoyed Dark Crystal a lot. Maybe not from a child's standpoint but from a creative one. I respect what they accomplished in that movie a lot.

I understand this one is supposed to be a mix of live action animatronics and CG. We'll have to see how it comes out.

NallOne
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by NallOne »

I'm pretty excited for this even though I find the story a bit out of sorts. The Dark Crystal and Labyrinth are my two favorite movies of all time (along with Legend and a few others) and have been for about as long as I can remember. I'd hate it if they butchered the story with sequels that are obviously being made to cash in on the fanbase. =/

I'm more worried about the Labyrinth sequel...

Potential Plot details and spoilers for both Labyrinth, The Dark Crystal and their sequels follow! Please don't read on if you don't want to be spoiled at all!

The Labyrinth sequel, from what I have read, is going to be about Toby as a teenager returning the Labyrinth to become the King of the Goblines. Maybe it is just me, but that just ruins the original movie. Everything Sarah did was for nothing if he is going to become the next Goblin King anyway, right?

Also, I don't know if you all have seen this yet, but here is the first image from the Dark Crystal sequel:

http://img242.imageshack.us/img242/8528 ... 0710kr.jpg

It's "Queen Kira" who is clearly a whole lot older than she was in The Dark Crystal. Now sure how I feel about that, but I'm trying really hard to keep an open mind and enjoy the movie when it comes out. ^_^
- Mike

Roas Atrades
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Roas Atrades »

Labrynth sequal?

Wow...they really are digging into the warchest for movies...aren't they
Free your mind and let your dreams fly, -me

NallOne
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by NallOne »

Roas Atrades wrote:Labrynth sequal?

Wow...they really are digging into the warchest for movies...aren't they

I haven't heard any updates about it since this time last year, but they were supposed to be working on a manga sequel to Labyrinth.

Ever since they released them on DVD and noticed how big the fanbase was, they've decided to milk it for as much money as they can. First with that Labyrinth rip-off, and now all this. Bleh.
- Mike

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

NallOne wrote:Ever since they released them on DVD and noticed how big the fanbase was, they've decided to milk it for as much money as they can. First with that Labyrinth rip-off, and now all this. Bleh.

What Labyrinth rip-off?

Personally, any Labyrinth without David Bowie and Jennifer Connely simply isn't worth it.

...and Jim Henson.

...I suppose that makes it impossible then. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

NallOne
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by NallOne »

Kizyr wrote:What Labyrinth rip-off?

I believe it was called MirrorMask.

It wasn't an exact copy of the story, but the "idea" behind the whole thing has Labyrinth written all over it. No Labyrinth fan could overlook how much it has taken from Labyrinth to become what it is.

It doesn't help when the people behind it's creation state that one of the primary reasons it was made was because of how well the Labyrinth and Dark Crystal VHS/DVD releases sold.

Yeah, yeah. Companies want money. It just doesn't seem right.

Kizyr wrote:Personally, any Labyrinth without David Bowie and Jennifer Connely simply isn't worth it.

...and Jim Henson.

...I suppose that makes it impossible then. KF

I agree, but if it ever comes to film I'll watch it. I was satisfied with The Labyrinth's ending, though, so there is little chance I'd ever accept the movie as canon to the story. :?
- Mike