Birth to Retribution WIP (Ghaleon fanart) - Base Colors Done

For people with stuff to show off. Artwork, music you've composed, websites you've designed, etc. Put it here.
PrettyGirlJean
White Dragon Knight
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Birth to Retribution WIP (Ghaleon fanart) - Base Colors Done

Post by PrettyGirlJean »

Hi all,

Another art update. This is coming along slowly, but I am trying to focus my free time on art and to complete this for a contest. The deadline is about a month away. I really hope I can complete this in time, you'd think that's PLENTY of time... sadly, I get little to no free time these days it seems ;_;

Anyways, you'll see that I finished blocking the colors in. I also began some of the shadowing on the youngest Ghaleon, but that's it beyond the base colors. Please let me know what you think, if any of the colors look way off. The skin tones and hair color changes are on purpose as I felt it would be a subtle (or maybe not subtle haha) way of adding more depth to his progression.

Thanks for looking and take care!
Last edited by PrettyGirlJean on Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:26 am, edited 3 times in total.

Guild_Premier_Ghaleon
Black Dragon Wizard

Re: Birth to Retribution WIP (Ghaleon fanart)

Post by Guild_Premier_Ghaleon »

Coooooooooooool! ... ... That is all. Keep up the excellent work!
"Perhaps you should demonstrate the power which gives you such confidence. Then we shall see who is fit to be supreme ruler, and who... is dead!"

CatsWithMatches
Red Dragon Priest

Post by CatsWithMatches »

Lovely.

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Actually, the style seems to be very close to the Funato manga sketches. Nice job!

Do you have her sketches for the Vheen manga (published in booklets called Club JAM and JAMjar, and also appended to the second printing of Paper Moon)? If not, I might be able to get you some pics for costume refs, since the Vheen manga is the only portrayal of young Ghaleon there is.

PrettyGirlJean
White Dragon Knight

Post by PrettyGirlJean »

Thanks everyone! I'm glad to see you guys feel it's got a good start!

Alun, thank you so much for the offer, but I am lucky enough to have a copy of the Vheen Manga :) I'm not sure I would've had the nerve to do this drawing otherwise. I really appreciate your kind words and your help! I still plan to do a group pic of the girls and maybe some more candid related drawings. Just to catch everyday moments similar to some of the bromides.

Take care all! :D

ilovemyguitar
Legendary Hero

Post by ilovemyguitar »

I... can't see it? All I see is the word "Image." Am I doing something wrong?

Edit: Never mind, I just reloaded and it came up. And btw, your artwork looks great!

Benevolent_Ghaleon
BANNED

Post by Benevolent_Ghaleon »

This is amazing.

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

I notice you're using the Funato inspiration for, at the very least, Ghaleon as a young child. But you seem to be adding your own interpretation for the upper-left-corner one (is that him as a "teenager"?)

I really like it, particularly that upper-left one. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

PrettyGirlJean
White Dragon Knight

Post by PrettyGirlJean »

Hi guys, thanks again!

The first couple (bottom) are inspired by the manga since those two times in his life take place in the manga. The 3rd on the far right is from the flashback in SSSC. That one is looking of course at the older Ghaleon who has become premiere of the Vane guild. Then the emperor and then the scene when he looks to the sky in EB asking if Dyne is watching in secret.

I apologize for not making it a bit more obvious, but I think that color will help a lot (I hope!) :D Unfortunately, it looks like I won't be able to get started until the weekend :( Hopefully sooner though!

Thanks again everyone! ^_^b

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

I think I just had a nerdgasm. *checks* Yup. Brb.

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

LuNaRtIc
Bromide Hunter

Post by LuNaRtIc »

I never got around to saying how much I LOVE this sketch and how much I'm looking forward to its completion! :D Looks like you're improving in your art style too. This is a fantastic piece! I love the different expressions, you captured our beloved Ghaleon beautifully!
「美しい白い竜 愛しい白い竜…」
My avatar art was done by luleiya! <3

Bravo 29
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Bravo 29 »

Whoa, that's so cool. The many faces of Ghaleon. I really can't wait for the colored version. That should be awesome. Until then....

PrettyGirlJean
White Dragon Knight

Re: Birth to Retribution WIP (Ghaleon fanart) - Inks Completed

Post by PrettyGirlJean »

Aw thank you guys! I'm sorry I am so late in replying to the comments you guys left! :( I really appreciate them! I just finished inking today, so I thought I'd post with my progress. While I'd like to at least get the colors blocked in tomorrow, that's likely not to happen, but I hope to work a bit more before working on some other arts. I've been switching back and forth between my projects and commissions and it's been crazy, but rewarding ^^

Last bumped by PrettyGirlJean on Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:26 am.