Finished CTDS (big spoilers)... thoughts on a sequel...

Your general gaming entertainment thread.
From Mario to Sonic, Zelda to Final Fantasy. Talk about it here.
GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Finished CTDS (big spoilers)... thoughts on a sequel...

Post by GhaleonOne »

So apparently Magus has been turned into Guile from Chrono Cross, or at least, it's heavily hinted at. After the fight with the Dream Devourer he talks about re-finding himself, then you see him in a forest having forgotten who he is.

It's also quite obvious who was behind the downfall of Guardia at the hands of Porre. Dalton, who shows up in one of the new dungeons, makes a claim that he will rise up an army in Porre to take down Guardia in revenge of Chrono ruining his wealth and power. You also get a small anime cutscene in the new ending showing this.

At this point, I really do see them doing at least something with this series again. Whether it's a remake of Chrono Cross or a new game... or possibly both, they've left it open. With the Magus scenario, they really should remake Chrono Cross, and incorporate his story into it. Leaving it as is seems to cheapen his character quite a bit. I really think if they just ditch the 40+ useless characters, and stick with 6-7 like CT, they'd be far better off. They originally planned for Guile to be Magus, but because of the amount of characters, didn't feel as if they could tell his story correctly. Considering how useless most of them are, I'd rather find out more about Magus than all those other characters.

I also think a new game exploring this fall of Guardia might be interesting. But they could take that in a lot of directions.
-G1

DragonmasterDan
Lunar Legend

Re: Finished CTDS (big spoilers)... thoughts on a sequel...

Post by DragonmasterDan »

GhaleonOne wrote:So apparently Magus has been turned into Guile from Chrono Cross, or at least, it's heavily hinted at. After the fight with the Dream Devourer he talks about re-finding himself, then you see him in a forest having forgotten who he is.

It's also quite obvious who was behind the downfall of Guardia at the hands of Porre. Dalton, who shows up in one of the new dungeons, makes a claim that he will rise up an army in Porre to take down Guardia in revenge of Chrono ruining his wealth and power. You also get a small anime cutscene in the new ending showing this.

At this point, I really do see them doing at least something with this series again. Whether it's a remake of Chrono Cross or a new game... or possibly both, they've left it open. With the Magus scenario, they really should remake Chrono Cross, and incorporate his story into it. Leaving it as is seems to cheapen his character quite a bit. I really think if they just ditch the 40+ useless characters, and stick with 6-7 like CT, they'd be far better off. They originally planned for Guile to be Magus, but because of the amount of characters, didn't feel as if they could tell his story correctly. Considering how useless most of them are, I'd rather find out more about Magus than all those other characters.

I also think a new game exploring this fall of Guardia might be interesting. But they could take that in a lot of directions.
It really would fit in more as a spin-off than a sequel though, which is what Chrono Cross (having nothing to do with Chrono) should have been.

cj iwakura
Student of Vane

Post by cj iwakura »

Adding to hopes that Chrono Cross is next up for a remake/port, its tenth anniversary is in November, and Mitsuda's working on a rearrangement of the score for the occasion.

I haven't beaten CT DS yet, but any chance of Chrono Cross getting more love is always good news.

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

Yeah, I saw that news story a few days ago. Makes sense, and I think it's pretty possible they'll at least port it for the 10th anniversary. Too bad they didn't realize a nice full size symphonic CT soundtrack That two disc sampler was great.
-G1

Guild_Premier_Ghaleon
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Guild_Premier_Ghaleon »

I just got the new ending myself. Kind of depressing, but I think its more intended as a transition between Trigger and Cross. Awesome installment of the game though regardless. Been listening to Frog's theme non-stop. XD
"Perhaps you should demonstrate the power which gives you such confidence. Then we shall see who is fit to be supreme ruler, and who... is dead!"