Sakura Taisen for Saturn English patch

Your general gaming entertainment thread.
From Mario to Sonic, Zelda to Final Fantasy. Talk about it here.
DragonmasterDan
Lunar Legend
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Sakura Taisen for Saturn English patch

Post by DragonmasterDan »

The English patch for Sakura Taisen for Saturn has finally been released.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kygR1ka ... rLgOUuoA0k

Shinto-Cetra
Black Dragon Wizard

Re: Sakura Taisen for Saturn English patch

Post by Shinto-Cetra »

Awesome. I watched the anime a few years ago, I will have to check this out now too.

DragonmasterDan
Lunar Legend

Shinto-Cetra wrote:Awesome. I watched the anime a few years ago, I will have to check this out now too.
I just one click bought the blu-ray of the Anime on Amazon. It should be here tomorrow. I've never seen it so I'll give it a shot.

Shinto-Cetra
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Shinto-Cetra »

I played up till the first save point (which is too far in for my tastes), honestly I don't think it's worth the hype. I thought it was more of an SRPG, but it feels like a dating VN, where many of the dialogue options seem to be prompts where choices earn/lose affection with various heroines. The only VNs I've finished don't have this symptom, eg Ace Attorney series (not a dating sim at all) and the original YU-NO (still *partially* a dating sim but protagonist doesn't have said prompts, plus there is much more going on than romance there.) Ok the Utena VN on Saturn (which I have also finished) does have this problem, but I would only recommend this to people who have seen the anime first, which is one of my faves,  plus there is a best ending where the protagonist is on good terms with all characters .

DragonmasterDan
Lunar Legend

Shinto-Cetra wrote:I played up till the first save point (which is too far in for my tastes), honestly I don't think it's worth the hype. I thought it was more of an SRPG, but it feels like a dating VN, where many of the dialogue options seem to be prompts where choices earn/lose affection with various heroines. The only VNs I've finished don't have this symptom, eg Ace Attorney series (not a dating sim at all) and the original YU-NO (still *partially* a dating sim but protagonist doesn't have said prompts, plus there is much more going on than romance there.) Ok the Utena VN on Saturn (which I have also finished) does have this problem, but I would only recommend this to people who have seen the anime first, which is one of my faves,  plus there is a best ending where the protagonist is on good terms with all characters .
I played quite a bit further in until work and other things have pulled me away from playing for a while. I like the characters, music and art, though the combat portions are a bit too simplistic. I guess it depends what you like but as the years have gone by I've had a greater interest in quirkier more off the beaten path RPGish games.

AkagisWhiteComet
Red Dragon Priest

Post by AkagisWhiteComet »

I imported Sakura Taisen on the Saturn back around Y2K. It's a fairly dynamic visual novel for the time period considering it's primary competition upon release was undoubtedly Tokimeki Memorial, and even more so today considering many VNs are select-a-choice type narrative trees. The series has always played off of the dynamics of the MC's relationships with the other girls during the VN sequences, and there's a heavy focus on it. It for sure can be a bit off-putting for those that are expecting a more dynamic battle system.

I bought the English release of the fifth game on the Wii when it came out and didn't really dive into it that far.

Somewhat randomly related to Sakura Taisen, I went to Tokyo recently and stopped by the SEGA Joypolis in Odaiba. Near the exit they have a portion of the wall Michael Jackson signed when he visited in 1996. In the background of the picture that was taken of him signing the wall is a huge kiosk for Sakura Taisen. It had just released not long before Jackson's visit and being it was developed by SEGA was once a real hot property.