Atelier Series

Your general gaming entertainment thread.
From Mario to Sonic, Zelda to Final Fantasy. Talk about it here.
ShugoHanasaki
Black Dragon Wizard
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Atelier Series

Post by ShugoHanasaki »

Any fans of the Atelier series here from any generation? I'd love to have discussions about any of the franchise! I own every one from Atelier Iris 1-present
Lotus Moon Productions
- Podcasts on Independent Music Artists & Wrestling -

https://soundcloud.com/lotusmoonproductions

AkagisWhiteComet
Red Dragon Priest

Re: Atelier Series

Post by AkagisWhiteComet »

I've only played a handful of them. I didn't start hardcore until the PS3 era.

I enjoyed Ryza quite a bit despite the prevalent thicc-thigh memes, and I'm certain Gust themselves were a bit shocked how popular Ryza was. About the only thing that was a real downer for me was the astronomical amount of back-tracking that had to be done. Resource gathering aside it was like quests would purposely put themselves in the most far off place you had already traveled. One thing about Ryza I don't believe I've even seen mentioned is the NPC aspect. Every time you ran into NPCs they would always been in a different area or doing different things. The random-ness gave a more believable and living feeling to the game's world, rather than it being the same characters stuck in one place all the time.

I've been working on buffing up my Dreamcast collection that I've long neglected. I found out recently that the Marie & Elie compilation that was put out on Dreamcast may have been the first instance of a console video game shipping with a computer virus. A handful of circa console titles often shipped with extras such as images and wallpapers that could only be accessed on PC. The initial copies of the Marie & Elie compilation shipped with the Kriz virus attached to a wallpaper. If you accessed it on a computer, there was potential for it to fatal destroy your computer when your computer reached the virus' execution date. By 2001 most anti-virus programs could isolate Kriz, but I wonder how many people that had an older PC in Japan possibly suffered from the virus by accessing the extras. People were hoping for two cute waifus and instead received computer death.

Koei Tecmo recently announced that there will be a sequel to Sophie, but the only thing I hate about that is physical copies of the NA release of Sophie are already getting up there in price, which will make it difficult for newcomers to catch up. I'm a little peeved how much even contemporary video games have seen increase in price. I bought the NA release of Gust's Blue Reflection new when it price dropped to $20, and then it seemed like overnight people want +$100 for it for some reason. The upcoming sequel to Blue Reflection will be difficult to get into if people haven't played the first.

ShugoHanasaki
Black Dragon Wizard

Re: Atelier Series

Post by ShugoHanasaki »

AkagisWhiteComet wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 1:42 pm I've only played a handful of them. I didn't start hardcore until the PS3 era.

I enjoyed Ryza quite a bit despite the prevalent thicc-thigh memes, and I'm certain Gust themselves were a bit shocked how popular Ryza was. About the only thing that was a real downer for me was the astronomical amount of back-tracking that had to be done. Resource gathering aside it was like quests would purposely put themselves in the most far off place you had already traveled. One thing about Ryza I don't believe I've even seen mentioned is the NPC aspect. Every time you ran into NPCs they would always been in a different area or doing different things. The random-ness gave a more believable and living feeling to the game's world, rather than it being the same characters stuck in one place all the time.

I've been working on buffing up my Dreamcast collection that I've long neglected. I found out recently that the Marie & Elie compilation that was put out on Dreamcast may have been the first instance of a console video game shipping with a computer virus. A handful of circa console titles often shipped with extras such as images and wallpapers that could only be accessed on PC. The initial copies of the Marie & Elie compilation shipped with the Kriz virus attached to a wallpaper. If you accessed it on a computer, there was potential for it to fatal destroy your computer when your computer reached the virus' execution date. By 2001 most anti-virus programs could isolate Kriz, but I wonder how many people that had an older PC in Japan possibly suffered from the virus by accessing the extras. People were hoping for two cute waifus and instead received computer death.

Koei Tecmo recently announced that there will be a sequel to Sophie, but the only thing I hate about that is physical copies of the NA release of Sophie are already getting up there in price, which will make it difficult for newcomers to catch up. I'm a little peeved how much even contemporary video games have seen increase in price. I bought the NA release of Gust's Blue Reflection new when it price dropped to $20, and then it seemed like overnight people want +$100 for it for some reason. The upcoming sequel to Blue Reflection will be difficult to get into if people haven't played the first.
Ryza had fast travel to many places, plus it was a perfect way to gather exp and ingredients if you had to travel kind of far. I found it to be quite helpful. My only problem with Ryza 1 was the battle system, but they made it better in 2.

The PS3 era of Atelier was disappointing to .... well a point. When Gust decided to install the 'time limit' element it really turned me off! I went from Atelier Iris 1, 2, 3 and Mana Khemia 1 & 2 to graphics completely changed and a time limit which didn't allow me to relax and explore like i did with previous games...I did adapt and eventually the time limit died off slowly...But man...The first 3 Rorona, Totori, and Meruru with that time limit...It didn't give me the satisfaction i wanted because i was always in a rush. Some good character development, though.

The second half of the trilogy had the time limit slow to down over the games to the point it was there, but not really used in a 'game over' way. I have my own opinions about them all, but i won't cram it all in here lol
Lotus Moon Productions
- Podcasts on Independent Music Artists & Wrestling -

https://soundcloud.com/lotusmoonproductions