If LunAr was made into a live-action movie...

This board is for general discussion of Lunar. Especially things such as Lunar merchandise, general discussions about the story that span more than one game, etc.

Do you think there should be a Lunar movie?

ONLY if it were animated by Kubooka! I hope there's NEVER a live action!
30%
If it were animated by Kubooka, yes. I wouldn't mind seeing a live action either.
47%
To heck with animation I wanna see live action Lunar characters!
13%
There shouldn't be a Lunar movie period.
3%
Other (please post and explain ^^)
7%

Total votes: 30

PrettyGirlJean
White Dragon Knight
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

If LunAr was made into a live-action movie...

Post by PrettyGirlJean »

... who would you cast in the role of the characters we know and love? This can be any of the characters from any of the games.

My fiance is -convinced- that Mark Dacascos would make the perfect Alex... however, I think that is completely wrong... -maybe- Jian... but definitely -not- Alex.

I think that Emmy Rossum (ALW's Phantom of the Opera, Day After Tomorrow) would make a pretty good Lucia. I was thinking of Luna, but I don't know, I'm not sure that she's pretty enough.

Anyhow, I'll reply more thoroughly and with more characters and stars later, I just wanted to get a discussion going. Was this topic ever posted before? I imagine so, so some of you will have some quick answers! ^_~

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

Either live action or anime. I made a post like this about 2-3 years ago here, basically asking how folks would turn Lunar into a movie. Most agreed that it would need to be done in installments similiar to Lord of the Rings if it were a live action movie.

Some possible idea's for actors:

Ghaleon - Christopher Lambert
Kyle - Viggo Mortensen (sp?) perhaps
Lucia - Emmy Rossum WOULD actually work I think.
Mel - Sean Connery
Leo - Adrian Paul.
Mia - Natalie Portman
Jean - Jessica Alba
Jessica - Kiera Knightley
Dyne - Peter Wiegfried
Borgan - If he were still alive, Rodney Dangerfield would fit the bill IMO. That's no discredit to him, I just think he could pull off the big man well.

'Tis all I can think off of the top of my head.

If I were to split the games into movies it would be:

Lunar TSS Movie 1: Beginning (with some cool intro explaining some of the mythos of Lunar such as Althena and the Blue Star, with the same background song that plays during the text before the game shows you Alex in TSS) through Ghaleon's betrayal.

Lunar TSS Movie 2: Meeting the Dragons

Lunar TSS Movie 3: Becoming a Dragonmaster and defeating Ghaleon.

---

Lunar EB Movie 1: Intro through Ghaleon's introduction
Lunar EB Movie 2: Starts with the group at the bottom of the Mystic Ruins speaking to the fairies through Nall rescuing you from Pentagulia. It would end with Nall giving a good dramatic speech about needing to unseal the dragons.
Lunar EB Movie 3: Where 2 left off through the Zophar's resurrection (longest movie of the series)
Lunar EB Movie 4: Starts off in Vane after Lucia sends you away through the end of EB's epilouge.

Just my take on how the movies could be done.
Last edited by GhaleonOne on Wed Dec 21, 2005 5:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
-G1

DragonmasterDan
Lunar Legend

Post by DragonmasterDan »

Doing it live would definitely lose something, the look of Lunar is fantastic and adds a lot of the fantasy element to it. Having an animated series of it would be perfect. An animated Lunar with the same quality of animation found in the remakes (well at least in SSS, EB had some ugly looking drawings in spots) would be the best way to handle it.

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

GhaleonOne wrote:Borgan - If he were still alive, Rodney Dangerfield would fit the bill IMO. That's no discredit to him, I just think he could pull off the big man well.

Give the man some respect, G1! KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

That's no disrespect! He was a good actor. I just think he could pull off Borgan's persona well. Borgan may be regarded as the fat man of Lunar, but he'd be hard to find a good actor for. I think Dangerfield would pull it off.
-G1

Roas Atrades
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Roas Atrades »

Kizyr wrote:Give the man some respect, G1! KF

Even in death, he gets no respect, haha :lol:
Free your mind and let your dreams fly, -me

Lunar6000
Nanza Bandit

Post by Lunar6000 »

I think a live action would be a good idea... animated would be alright to... but if they went live action they would have to be really careful thats all... Like I think they can pull of the DBZ movie if they do it right.
"Not Ghaleon Dear Quirk.. Magic Emperor Ghaleon!"

Katze
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Katze »

Live-action COULD be done, but I think it would be better to use actors that aren't well-known (but are still perfect for their roles).

I'd prefer a Lunar anime over a live-action movie any day, though. Especially if a) the animators imitate Kubooka's style as much as possible and b) whoever makes the anime (Gonzo, probably) takes their time and actually puts effort into it so that the result is of Lunar quality, not some crappy, poor-quality "anime-based-off-of-a-video game" that we see all the time.

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

No movie. No, no, no!!

And definitely no live-action. Not interested in seeing actual people depicting originally animated characters, and I've never seen a real live human look good with blue hair. And it's just too hard to look at an actor and see the character instead of the actor pretending to be the character; it's one reason why I've grown less and less enthusiastic about English voice-acting. (I don't have this disconnect between the voices and characters so much when I don't understand the dialogue.)

And Emmy Whatever really ruined the Phantom movie for me...well, she and the person playing the Phantom share the blame for that, I guess. Her singing style might be acceptable for these songs, as it was not for a character who's supposed to be an opera singer. Then again, I don't like Lucia much either so maybe they'd match up. However, if the scene with Lucia singing to the kids were left in she'd have to be dubbed by someone untrained.

I don't recognize many of the names listed in this thread. All I've seen of Jessica Alba was a commercial or two for Dark Angel, which I found immensely offputting. Natalie Portman I only know from ep 1 and can't see her as Mia at all. But I'm not sure there's any actress anywhere who's innocent enough to play Mia. Sean Connery as Mel I could see.

But as far as I'm concerned it's academic anyway, because movie = bad and live movie = very very very bad.

Shiva Indis
White Dragon Knight

Post by Shiva Indis »

If it were in my hands, I would do animation, and not a movie. I think 2 long OVA-style productions would make an ideal format - 13 episodes each for Lunar 1 and Lunar 2. Video releases seem more conducive to expensive productions, and 13 episodes is enough time to tell the story fully (and adapt it a little). Since overseeing animation is Kubooka's bread and butter, I would definately have him working on it.
「まあいいけど。」

Kizyr

Post by Kizyr »

Roas Atrades wrote:
Kizyr wrote:Give the man some respect, G1! KF

Even in death, he gets no respect, haha :lol:

Yeah, don't worry G1, I just thought the late R.D. would've found that comment amusing.

Alunissage wrote:And definitely no live-action. Not interested in seeing actual people depicting originally animated characters, and I've never seen a real live human look good with blue hair.

I saw Alayna looking pretty good with blue hair.

Natalie Portman as Mia would work. And Jessica Alba at least has the body for Jean. Both of their acting talents are suspect--particularly the latter.

I could more easily see Summer Glau and Morena Baccarin (from Firefly/Serenity, they play River and Inara, respectively) play Mia and Jean, respectively. Their acting talents are up to par as well. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

drumlord
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by drumlord »

I think I would make an excellent Luna

DaWrestla
Red Dragon Priest

Post by DaWrestla »

In my opinion Christopher Lamberts is the perfect person to play Ghaleon.

Kudos!
Vaporized before my eyes

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

First, I'd be very skeptical of a movie of Lunar in ANY form. Animated, live-action...

However, if it had to be live-action... picking from what I know... likely to be terrible...

Alex - Haley Joel Osment (he's grown! Difficult, but...)
Lemina - Emma Watson
Mia - Summer Glau
Jean - Morena Baccarin (I agree, Kiz)
Xenobia - Uma Thurman
Lemia - Cate Blanchett
Old Luna/Althena - Ellen Burstyn
Lunn - Liam Neeson
Myght - Alan Rickman
Red Dragon Priestess - Kat Dennings
Ronfar - I'd prefer Viggo Mortensen here.

I've sat too long doing this. I'll leave the rest for now.
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

drumlord wrote:I think I would make an excellent Luna

I was thinking Royce personally, but that's just me. :P

Oh, and I second Sonic's choice of Liam Neeson for Lunn.
-G1

Dragonmaster Lou
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Dragonmaster Lou »

You gotta have Ashley Angel play Alex. I mean, I don't think O-Town is up to much these days anyway. j/k :)
"Guts can turn a 30% chance into a 100% chance!" - Taiga Kohtarou
Personal home page: http://www.techhouse.org/~lou
Lunar page: http://www.techhouse.org/~lou/lunar/
AMV page: http://www.tealstudios.com

Roas Atrades
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Roas Atrades »

Dragonmaster Lou wrote:You gotta have Ashley Angel play Alex. I mean, I don't think O-Town is up to much these days anyway. j/k :)

zing
Free your mind and let your dreams fly, -me

Kizyr

Post by Kizyr »

I am so going to regret saying this later, but...

I think I would make a fabulous Xenobia. And G1, you could be Ghaleon. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

I think I would make a fabulous Xenobia. And G1, you could be Ghaleon. KF

... I can't believe you just said that. :P I assume you're basing this off of admins and mods. If so, Sonic would be Phacia.
-G1

PrettyGirlJean
White Dragon Knight

Post by PrettyGirlJean »

I could not be Jean unfortunately... haha. But, I already have the Luna costume... though I wouldn't be caught dead in the Althena or Dark Althena clothes...costumes...stuffs... I just don't have the figure xD lol

I promise to post later with a cast list... still at work right now ^^;